No announcement yet.

best 1x12 for metal?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best 1x12 for metal?

Hey I am downsizing my rig, I dont play out anymore. I am looking for an awesome 1x12 combo for modern death metal. Currently it looks like my options are limited to a mesa mark series (a mark 3 or 4)or a rectoverb. Can anyone add insight on which of these would be better or any other amps to check out. my price limit is around $1500 and I will buy used. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    Good deals: GuitarAl96,T REX,ToonHollow

Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
    Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Or you can try living on the southside of Chicago on eight dollars a month and learn some real blues phrases.

YouTube • Soundclick

Comment

Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo

This.
      -ESP: SS Alexi Sawtooth-Framus: Cobra KT88-VHT: FB-412 P50E-Maxon: OD808-iSP: Decimator-Dunlop: DCR-2SR-Eventide: TimeFactor-Peterson: VS-R Tuner-Furman: AR-15 II-Eventide: PowerFactor-Axess: GRX4 & MFC5

Comment

Peavey XXX 112, 40 or 60 watt. You can set crystal clean, rythm and solo sounds on each. Has plenty of gain, a bit difficult to fine tune but once you get it is really good. Not so "agro" as the 6505+ 1x12 but not so cheaply made either. In fact it has a plywood cab and far bigger transformers comparatively.

Any mesa boogie 1x12 bar perhaps the newer express will get you to some metal sounds, the f-series is at least modern-like.

marshall JVM 205 gets also metal-ish enough and has 50 watts.

Some solid state amps excell at that and are cheap as hell used, like the peavey bandit for instance.

Tech21 trademark 60 will go as far as classic metal easily and sounds good for a "downsized" rig.

Some modeller amps like the vypyr tube 60 (again peavey) are cut out for metal and are also pretty versatile overall!

I don't know if I'd recommend a rect-o-verb single rectifier mesa 1x12 combo for metal. Too flaffy sounding without a boost for my tastes and huge to lug around, extremely heavy also. If you care for that sound, boosted go for it.
        "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo

+2
          Good deal (s) with: shane159

Comment

Brunetti MC2
            Diezel Einstein 50 112
            Vanquish Mystique Custom
            Marshall JCM900 4100ri
            Marshall 1960a
            Ibanez TS9
            Ibanez AD9
            Korg Pitchblack
            Sanyo Eneloop

Comment

Engl Thunder or Screamer?
              Mesa/Boogie Mob

AMT Army-Lt. Colonel AnGuS

Clips (Click Me):

For Good Transactions Click Me

BRO CLUB: Member

Comment

Peavey XXX 112, 40 or 60 watt. You can set crystal clean, rythm and solo sounds on each. Has plenty of gain, a bit difficult to fine tune but once you get it is really good. Not so "agro" as the 6505+ 1x12 but not so cheaply made either. In fact it has a plywood cab and far bigger transformers comparatively.

Ooh. I hadn't ever looked at the XXX combos before. They're sure available for cheap-cheap on the used market. They sound just as good and thrashy as the heads? If so that may be on my list to try out.

I hate amp gas.
                Originally Posted by Murdoch

HCAF Y U NO TALK MAPS

Three dicks in an ass, n00b.

Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

wtf is next? lets talk about our favorite nsync album. i love them all because i was really making strides in my dress making business at the time...

Comment

Used Mark V

Probably the best combination of versatility & great tones

It's very easy to dial in as well
                  Originally Posted by scratchie

Youse gots butthurtz cause youse gots too meeny deeks stuck in you mans poosie.

Comment

You should be able to get a used American-made 120 watt 2x12 XXX for the same price as a new 1x12 6505+.
                    Good deals with: the avenger, Zepsongs, BryanFTWL, gibbyshibby, marshmi, Ovid9, emptyparadigm, thesockmonster, Krunch79, VoodooChild24, espdna, StopReferencing, mhn433, NixerX, Mood Sphinx, itkindaworks, SomeDayRockstar, guller1, metz420(TGP)

Comment

The clips I've heard of the XXX sound pretty good. Tried out a 6505 combo at GC and really dug it. I'd go for one of those 2.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. a 2x12 is too big I have one an it kills my back. As far as 6505 I have had one and didnt like it, it didnt compar to other amps, they are nice for the price but I want something better. I am looking at the engl now it sounds pretty good. Can anyone tell me how the rectoverb combo compares to a real duel rec?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. a 2x12 is too big I have one an it kills my back.

FWIW:
                          XXX 2x12 combo: 85 lbs
                          6505+ 112 combo: 65 lbs
                          Good deals with: the avenger, Zepsongs, BryanFTWL, gibbyshibby, marshmi, Ovid9, emptyparadigm, thesockmonster, Krunch79, VoodooChild24, espdna, StopReferencing, mhn433, NixerX, Mood Sphinx, itkindaworks, SomeDayRockstar, guller1, metz420(TGP)

Comment

FWIW:
                            XXX 2x12 combo: 85 lbs
                            6505+ 112 combo: 65 lbs

right, but 1x12 are smaller and easier to carry, it throws my back out trying to manage a huge 2x12. plus if i wanna move it into the living room while I watch tv it takes up too much room.

Comment

Besides the Engl's I would check out the Randall MTS line as well. They have a 1x12 combo and with your budget you could get a few nice options for modules and have a good bit of variety.
                              Mesa/Boogie Mob

AMT Army-Lt. Colonel AnGuS

Clips (Click Me):

For Good Transactions Click Me

BRO CLUB: Member

Comment

Working...
                              X