hypocracy of american politicians...why the middle east hates america.

~Abstract~

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was an excellent read. (Transcripts FTW!) I don't think he touched on the religious extremist aspects of the Middle East, but since many of those arose because of our support of horrible dictatorships, he in essence did I suppose.

Very interesting. Especially the stuff on MLK Jr. I had forgotten how his anti-war stance had gotten him in trouble with everyone.

• Members

Pretty much every government in the Middle East is oppressive. To not be their enemy, you have to support them. If you don't support them, you are their enemy. It is a no win situation no matter how you look at it. Syria and Iran have oppressive regimes, but nobody gives the US any credit for not supporting them. Nobody condemns Russia or China for backing them. There are plenty of other governments that have relations or "support" the oppressive regimes of the world, but only the US takes the heat.

• Members

Pretty much every government in the Middle East is oppressive. To not be their enemy, you have to support them. If you don't support them, you are their enemy. It is a no win situation no matter how you look at it. Syria and Iran have oppressive regimes, but nobody gives the US any credit for not supporting them. Nobody condemns Russia or China for backing them. There are plenty of other governments that have relations or "support" the oppressive regimes of the world, but only the US takes the heat.

Possibly because Russia and China make no statements that they are looking out for democracy and freedom? That's sorta the problem. Its not hypocritical when the Russians or Chinese do it whereas when we do, its completely hypocritical.

Oh, and its pretty much dead wrong about no one complaining about Russia & China. Lots of countries have, especially in relation to Syria. However, since they sit on the UN security council, it pretty much means nobody can say boo to them. Sorta like the US when we decide to support horrible people.

What's interesting is that in Africa, China IS using a somewhat peaceful approach. (SORTA....) They are building roads, schools, hospitals, businesses, etc. investing HEAVILY in Africa because they understand that's where manufacturing is going to move after China becomes too expensive. Are they probably propping up horrible people in the process? Oh, I'm sure of that, but its not for any political reasons, almost purely economic. We're being out capitalisted by the communists. :facepalm:

• Members

That was an excellent read. (Transcripts FTW!) I don't think he touched on the religious extremist aspects of the Middle East, but since many of those arose because of our support of horrible dictatorships, he in essence did I suppose.

Very interesting. Especially the stuff on MLK Jr. I had forgotten how his anti-war stance had gotten him in trouble with everyone.

Funny how it wasn't until MLK starting moving from the narrow focus of racism and civil-rights to the broader truths of class inequality, worker's rights, and anti-war protest that they decided he needed to go away.

• Members

an interesting point was made to me the other day, this is a good place to share it:

telling a man in the middle east that we're going to give his wife(s) the right to vote would be like somebody coming here and telling you that they're going to give you the right to {censored} your 12 year old daughter.

what makes us think that every country around the world actually WANTS democracy? considering that sharia law is actually preferred by most in the middle east tells us that we simply cannot understand what the people that live there want, and that we'd all be best served by keeping our noses out of it.

all that said, i maintain that if the people want democracy, they should fight for it themselves. i also maintain that regardless of the system of government in place, there are always going to be people that are oppressed and not well served by that system.

• Members

It's the "good ol' boys" network. Every regime is propped up by the others and there is some sort of equilibrium of forces.

Usually, the people of any country let the leaders decide and act on foreign policies according to national interests. What we're maybe seeing happen is that the people are slowly waking up and trying to dictate interior policy (the arab spring) or foreign policy to their own government (the Ron Paul video above being a good example).

• Members

Thank you Abstract. That really touched me. Don't know if you remember the shampoo commercial from the early 80s where someone told a friend and so on and so on. I have to believe that the sane and rational viewpoint will take hold someday soon.

• Members

Thank you Abstract. That really touched me. Don't know if you remember the shampoo commercial from the early 80s where someone told a friend and so on and so on. I have to believe that the sane and rational viewpoint will take hold someday soon.

:)

• Members

Pretty much every government in the Middle East is oppressive. To not be their enemy, you have to support them. If you don't support them, you are their enemy. It is a no win situation no matter how you look at it. Syria and Iran have oppressive regimes, but nobody gives the US any credit for not supporting them.
Nobody condemns Russia or China for backing them.
There are plenty of other governments that have relations or "support" the oppressive regimes of the world, but only the US takes the heat.

Wat. You don't watch the news much I guess. There was a huge international backlash against Russia and China when they showed support for the Syria regime.

• Members

I try to stay away from these threads, but it is sometimes hard to..

So much bull{censored} on mass media, people forgot how to think for themselves.

Fred........commie spawn.......sometime people get butt hurt at what you say...but I usually agree with you... especially here!

• Members

Fred........commie spawn.......sometime people get butt hurt at what you say...but I usually agree with you... especially here!

Thank you my capitalist buddy. It might be a Maine thing though. I used to live their for a year :)

• Members

Yes, because the middle east was a veritable peace-loving, tolerant, bigot-free and non-violent collective utopia of forward-thinking, non-manipulative and completely non-aggressive pacifist hippies before the mean ol' USofA went and stuck their noses into it.
:o

THIS x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Archived