NAD!! Bedrock 1200 & matching 1204 cab

DeuceII

• Members

Picked this up a few days ago, haven't had a chance to get it setup and play through it until today.

Original Bedrock branded power tubes, all preamp tubes are Penta Labs MIC but they say 9001 down the side and have an Indianapolis listing, not the current production Cali listing, are these old Penta tubes?:

IMAG0354.jpg

Back of the chassis, it's a neat PCB layout inside:

IMAG0355.jpg

Matching head and cab:

IMAG0356.jpg

Full rig, gotta set it up for stereo still:

IMAG0357.jpg

The cab is a weird story, it was listed as 100 watts which made me hope for Celestion Greenbacks. No such luck, it's got 4 Bedrock branded 12E50s, which I think are supposed to be like 50 watt V30 @ 8 ohms. Well that can't add up to 100, but there are two outputs on the back and each of them is 100watts @ 16ohms, since each pair (top and bottom split) is wired in series to one of the outputs (do I have that calculation right?). So to make this series/parallel and a total 8ohm load (thereby only needing one of the outputs), I just need to move the solder points from one of the jacks to the same ones on the other output jack, right? So all four speakers would be wired to the same jack?

• Members

It's got a Marshall vibe, kinda JMP/JCM, Plexi-ish in the low input. Still need to dial it in, rehearsing with the band tonight. I'm planning on running it stereo with the Baron/VHT, using the low input set for a clean tone then using dirt pedals. I'd say the 600 is worth checking out, the few Bedrocks I've tried usually sound pretty good. I think the 600 was the channel switcher model they had, not sure if it's a shared eq or not.

• Members

That's not a 100 watt amp. 2 X EL34 = approx 40-50 watts depending on the tubes and the amp.

Enjoy with gusto. I loved the Bedrocks I played through.

Oh I know the amp isn't 100 watts, it was the 4x12 cab that was listed as being 100 watts but it isn't either. If I sort out the wiring it should be 200 watts. Thanks, I've tried a few and this one seems as good as any of them so far.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a '97 651 combo [last year of Bedrock production] in custom teal with a Celestion G12K-100 speaker that does the old school British rock thing really well.It's EL84 quad is factory rated at 50 watt rms,though to me it sounds and feels more like EL34's,at least in the amp's higher gain channel.I've also had a mid '90s 25 watt 621 [Celestion G12H-30],an early '90s 1400 50 watt head [loud EL34 design] and a cool early '90s 1600 50 watt head [dual discrete preamps,3 effects loops and EL34 power].Bedrock made some really neat stuff,back in the day.

Ed

• Members

Seriously, how does it sound? A shop near me has a Bedrock 600 series 1x12 combo for $400...is it worth checking out?

Oh my lord yes.....I passed on one of those about 5 years ago even though the Guitar Center dude was killing it tone wise. I went back a few days later and it was gone. Big and Nasty sounding in a mid-gain way. FYI...probably common knowledge but the Guitar Fetish (GFS) guy was one of the original Bedrock owners/marketer...

• Members

The cab is a weird story, it was listed as 100 watts which made me hope for Celestion Greenbacks. No such luck, it's got 4 Bedrock branded 12E50s, which I think are supposed to be like 50 watt V30 @ 8 ohms. Well that can't add up to 100, but there are two outputs on the back and each of them is 100watts @ 16ohms, since each pair (top and bottom split) is wired in series to one of the outputs (do I have that calculation right?). So to make this series/parallel and a total 8ohm load (thereby only needing one of the outputs), I just need to move the solder points from one of the jacks to the same ones on the other output jack, right? So all four speakers would be wired to the same jack?

Leave it wired up basically like it is, but use a 'Marshall' input jack like this for the 'second' input:

New-cliff-original-modern-marshall-input

An input jack like this has two sets of terminals - when there is no cable in the jack, they are connected, when a cable IS inserted, they are disconnected from each other.

Leave the first set of two speakers wired to the 'first' original jack.

Wire the second set of speakers to this new jack - to the set of terminals that ARE connected when a cable is plugged into it.

At this point you have exactly what you have now - a stereo cabinet with each side wired separately to their own jack.

Now run jumpers from the ring/tip connections on the 'first' jack to the corresponding terminals on the 'second' jack that are DISCONNECTED when a cable is plugged in and you are done.

Plug a cable into only the 'first' jack, and the cabinet is mono - 8 ohms - all 4 speakers running.

Plug a second cable into the 'second' jack (from a second amp or channel of a stereo amp) and the connection between the two inputs is disconnected - you now have a stereo cab with each set of speakers separate both sides are 16 ohms each.

Also, if you plug into ONLY the 'second' jack - you are only running the second set of speakers - voila - a 2x12 at 16 ohms.

This wiring gives you the most options -

mono 4x12 at 8 ohms

stereo 4x12 at 16 ohms each side

2x12 at 16 ohms (only two speakers active)

No additional switches needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

They also made a 100 watt 1200. I'm picking one up today from one of Bedrock's former employees. I guess one of the guys who worked there passed away and this guy is selling his collection for his widow.

I had a Lead 50, just sold it but I loved it. Wanted a 100 watter. Yours looks identical to the one I'm getting minus 2 power tubes.

I read on another thread that the preamp on the 1200 is supposed to be modeled after the bassman 5F6A circuit.

how do those speakers sound??

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Okay so I finally got a bunch of stuff sorted out with this amp. The speakers were sounding very bright, and the amp sounded better through my VHT cab. This was after I'd tried to rewire the cab. Turns out I got the ohms right, but ended up with the speakers out of phase. I rewired it just last week and it sounds way better. Very even sounding speakers, not totally sure I like them but it's much better than it was. Mamberg I wish I'd seen your post earlier, it would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Today I picked up a proper Radial ABY box with phase switch, isolated transformers, etc. I'd previously tried both a Morley ABY and just splitting the signal out of my delay, in both instances the amps sounded great together but had terrible ground hum. I've got a vintage Rat that I'm gonna run in front of the Bedrock, set the amp for clean(ish), and have both the Baron and Bedrock on in stereo. Can't wait to try this out, gotta rewire the pedalboard and then I'll test it out on Monday and report back.

• Members

I got a chance to crank this thing up with the Baron the other night, and it definitely has a lot of that old school Marshall thrash tone with the RAT in front of it. Lots of upper mids and high end, even with the treble and presence down to about 9 o'clock. Bass is about 11 or noon, Mids on 3, then I let the Baron handle the low mids and bass. It's a pretty cool sound but I need to dial it in more. Next rehearsal tonight. I may need to switch tubes, right now it's running a mix of reissue Mullard, Penta Labs, and JJ in the preamp and a pair of moderate JJ EL34s (not the E34Ls). Since these put out a lot of plate voltage, I'm thinking of the Ruby EL34s rated to handle that, and using all JJs in the preamp to tame the high end and emphasis the upper mids more. I may also take out the Bedrock 4x12 and run both heads through the stereo sides of the VHT cab.

Archived