Carnitas in a dutch oven.

Samnite

• Members

No, not that kind of dutch oven. :facepalm:

We took some friends of ours and our two-year-old camping this weekend, and for the big Saturday night meal, I made carnitas in a dutch oven. Good God almighty. They were pretty much the best thing I've ever eaten. You know, like, ever.

And I'm serial. Super serial.

Do this:

3 pounds of Boston butt pork roast, cut into cubes.

1/2 cup of orange juice

1/2 cup of lime juice

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp oregano

5 cloves of garlic, crushed

Mix together the OJ, lime juice, spices, and garlic. Place cubed pork into a plastic bag and pour the sauce in to marinate for a few hours.

Pour everything into a dutch oven once you have your fire set. Pour in just enough water to cover pork. Set oven in coals and pile hot coals on lid.

Wait 2 hours.

Stoke up your fire, get the coals hot again, then take the lid off the dutch oven and let the hot fire boil off all the water and juice. Serve when the meat browns.

What happens is this: while the meat is braising for 2 hours, all the fat in the pork is rendered out of it, and when the liquid is boiling off during the final stage, it's also frying the pork in its own rendered fat, and the campfire smoke also gets in and lightly smokes the meat.

Meanwhile, blister corn tortillas in a hot, dry pan.

Serve carnitas on tortilla with whatever topping you desire (my wife made a salsa out of mangoes, avocado, lime juice, and cilantro).

:love:

Trust me. You will never eat anything better than this in your whole damn life.

I know, CSB. Sigh...

• Members

I served it up, and one of our friends just sort of sat there having a porkgasm. She couldn't even form coherent sentences for a few minutes. She was all, "I don't even...what...I...ummm..."

It was hilarious.

And it was the campfire smoke that put it over the top. I think I'm going to start selling this shit. :lol:

• Members

Oh no, my son. There's plenty of lard in there, and by the time you're done, there's no water at all. Believe me, this is where it's at.

You aint my dad, because he makes real carnitas with lard instead of water.

{censored}ing water. GTFO.

• Members
You aint my dad, because he makes real carnitas with lard instead of water.

{censored}ing water. GTFO.

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you? :poke: You see, you have to braise the pork first in order to have carnitas. Otherwise, you just have tough, fried pork.

• Members

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you? :poke: You see, you have to braise the pork first in order to have carnitas. Otherwise, you just have tough, fried pork.

You clearly have no {censored}ing clue what you are talking about. Go google traditional {censored}ing carnitas, dick cheese and then come back and tell me some more about your awesome carnitas flavored braised pork.

• Members

CARNITAS FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:snax:

• Members
You clearly have no {censored}ing clue what you are talking about. Go google traditional {censored}ing carnitas, dick cheese and then come back and tell me some more about your awesome carnitas flavored braised pork.

I did. All of them have some sort of braising liquid included in them, whether it's juice, water, coke(!), or something else. I only found one (which looks pretty good) that slowly deep fries the pork. Face it, slick, most carnitas are made by braising. Yes, even traditional recipes.

• Members

I was sure that there was going to be a pic of two fat Mexican chicks under a blanket... with some guy passing gas... this thread does not deliver.

:facepalm::mad:

rofl

2 men enter, one man leaves with carnitas

Archived