Bogner Uberkab vs. Mesa Recto 4x12 (Peavey, Parker Fly Deluxe)

metalaxe

• Members

My new Parker has just arrived...if you haven't played one there's no point in describing how amazing this guitar is...lowest action ever, it's like you don't even have to play yourself.

I thought the DiMarzio Tone Zone would suck, but it's actually not that bad, not even sure if I have to replace it, sounds kinda neat...

Anyways, here's a comparison of the Mesa Recto 4x12 and the Bogner Ubercab 4x12 both are single mic'd with an sm57 (on the Bogner I mic'd the v30 only):

Both are double tracked, I added a "combined" track in the end which is quadtracked, so it's actually out of the competition, just added it for fun

I'm a huge fan of the MEsa's smoothness for modern tones, but if you're looking for brutal DM tones the Bogner just sounds meaner I think

[video=youtube;EzqMRO0CUvI]

• Members

I wouldn't say one was "WAY BETTER" than the other. Either sounds great. Very nice sounding. what were your 5150 settings?

Thanks.

settings:

PV.JPG

I hit it with a Tubescreamer though, for some juicy mid bump (hence the mid-scoopage on the amp)

• Members

I think I liked the Mesa better as well. Strangely enough, in my band, we both use 6506+ heads but I use the Uberkab and the other guitarist uses the Mesa OS. We get the blended sound so it's perfect :thu:. But, IRL, I like my cab better. It's just punchier for some reason.

• Members

Both sounded bad ass in their own right :thu:

I've owned my Uberkab for almost 5 years and the first 2 years was a love/hate relationship with it. It sounds monsterous with most amps, but it's not as tight of a cab as most people have made it out to be when I was first inquiring about it. It's got a bit of flub to it. After all these years, I've learned to embrace it's characteristics and can make any amp sing through it. Probably the best cab I've ever owned in the 18 years I've collected gear.

• Members

In Mic'ing the cabs like this, your really only hearing the difference in the speakers and not the Cab's themselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they were both miced V30's. Might be more of a difference in placement more than anything.

• Members

Or one speaker may be broken in more than the other.

Mesa is about 2 years old, Bogner 1.5 ...equal use.

guys, the box makes a HUGE difference in close micing, just {censored}ing believe it, lol.

else it wouldn't make any sense to have 4x12 in the studio, 1x12 would suffice

• Members

placement was identical +/- 1mm on both

How are you able to get the mic placement so close considering that both boxes are different in size, height, etc? Or, do you have the grille cloth pulled off or something? I'm genuinely interested :thu: as I can't seem to get my placement the same on the same speaker no matter what I do...

• Members

on some speakers you'll have to remove the grille cloth, but usually a strong flash light will do the trick, just but your head right in front of the speaker and shine the light through the cloth, you#ll be able to see the speaker and the dustcap in the middle of it.

In this case I aligned the edge of the mic with the seam of the dust cap, that made similar/identical positioning relatively easy and is a good starting point for sm57+v30 anyways

Archived