OT: Recording Vocals ... Aaarrrggghhh

JerEvil

• Members

I have noticed that no matter what I do, my vocals never sound clear. Not sure if it is my mic or if I need to try and announciate more? I am using a Blue Mic's Bluebird trying to do horror/pop punk but with singing and not screaming.

• Members

It's probably you. I'm surprised at how good of results I get with vocals just singing/screaming in my room.. I used to try setting up a dead corner in the room and putting the Mic in the corner, so there would be no reflections and weird phasing.. And it want always clear, but I sucked at screaming with some clarity.. Now I don't try and alter my voice as much when I yell/scream and the recordings are much clearer and intelligible. And I don't even bother setting up a make shift vocal booth, or corner as mine was!

But that's not to say you aren't getting some weirdness from the room.. But the should show up more in how full the recording is, not word clarity

• Members

The Bluebird seems to get a good amount of praise, I was looking into Blue mics awhile back. Are you doing much post EQ on the vocals? You could also look at the material the vocals are going on for potential frequency real-estate issues. Vocal clarity/intelligibility lives in the 2-4khz range usually and the same goes for guitars, if your guitars have too much going on in that area then you can easily have a problem with your vocals not cutting through.

• Members

You could also look at the material the vocals are going on for potential frequency real-estate issues. Vocal clarity/intelligibility lives in the 2-4khz range usually and the same goes for guitars, if your guitars have too much going on in that area then you can easily have a problem with your vocals not cutting through.

+1

Cymbals tend to eat into this frequency range as well. Try running your drums and your vocals at the same time and see how they work together.

Do some hi-passing on the vocals and check out any frequencies that might be causing the lack of clarity. Stick a healthy amount of compression on there and see how it sounds then. Good luck

• Members

is it not clear in the context of the MIX or is it not clear in terms of what you're recording?

what's your process-- how far from the mic are you, pop filter or nay, vocal chain, how hot are you recording on the channel, are you using any fx to 'tape'?

here's my process most of the time for loud singers.

set the vocal mic on a stand out about 12-18 inches, upside down on a stand. have the singer stand on a piece of duct tape on the floor. point the mic ROUGHLY at their throat or lower, depending on sibilance. have the vocalist sing 'pointed' at the ring just below the capsule on the micbody- or just below the grille. it's just a mental note.

when you're watching the meters.. try and keep the levels peaking at -10 max. MAKE SURE your gain gives you LOADS of headroom for clarity. NO FX. record it clean. i usually point the vocalist out into the room, and put a rug between the floor, the vocalist, and the mic.

i also usually try to get the mix loud in the cans (closed backs, if possible), and get 'em enough so they can get into it- but all depends on what they want.

beyond that.. i dunno why you wouldn't be getting clarity unless you're creaming the mic's preamp or are just too close.

• Members

Perhaps I am too close when singing. I tend to only be about 3 to 4 inches from the pop shield. I always track with no effects.

yeah-- a lot of folks do that. just try it backed off a bit-- the capsule and the mic's preamp can get all distor-o if you're too close from wind and just plain old volume. that's good for whispery pop-esque vocals, but if you're belting-- back it on out and see where you're at- especially with an LDC.

• Members

There are a million ways that it can sound "not clear". Post a clip or give more details.

+1

Could be the mic not suited to you, could be how you're recording, could be the mix, could be that you just don't open your mouth when you sing or you're not making your voice resonant properly, etc. etc. :idk:

• Members

I have an idea you can try. Try backing away from the mic. When I was doing harmonies for the loop contest I used part of my belting range and ended up standing almost a foot away from the mic. Otherwise I would cause overloading. Just something to try.

• Members

One way to test it yourself might be to recording something in an exaggeratedly bright voice and see how it comes out. Doesn't have to sound good, the point is just to see how it affects the sound. If you can hear your voice is brighter/clearer but it still has a blankety lack of clarity over it, you've got a pretty good idea that the problem is at least partly elsewhere, like mic, distance, whatever. :idk:

And yeah, while different mics and voices will work differently, stepping a bit further back from the mic probably wouldn't hurt if you're only 3-4 inches from it.

Archived