OT - Manager bad mouthing staff to other staff, can they get in trouble for this?

jds22

• Members

Question for those that might know.

Here's the scenario. 2 employees (A and B) are peers but work different shifts under the same manager. The manager bad mouths and complains about employee A to employee B when A is not around.

Aside from this being bad taste and showing poor management skills, can the manager get into an trouble for doing this? Are there any rules or regulations that are being broken?

Thanks

• Members

As long as what's said is true, not really.

As long as what's said isn't true, not really.
A would likely lose their job if they sued the company for slander.
That's about as much as could be done...and even then, good luck with that.

yeah and then have fun with the wrongful termination suit.

• Members

Here's the backstory

A few months ago my wife and I took part time jobs cleaning an office bldg in the evenings Monday thru Friday. Only one of us works each night so we switch off. I might work 3 nights and my wife works the 2 that I don't.

The supervisor is the most miserable and hateful person I've ever been around. She hates the company, hates the people in the office, hates her life, etc. Nobody can do anything right except her. She has some serious issues and needs professional help in my opinion.

We found out that she is really laying into us when we are not there. Some is work related and some is personal.

I

• Members

If it's not something that is necessary for your family, it's not worth the stress. Tell that manager that she's an infected thundercunt who would do the entire world a favor if her uterus fell out of her body and then shot her in the mouth while making its desperate escape.

Or, you could just quit. My way would be more fun, though.

• Members

If it's not something that is necessary for your family, it's not worth the stress. Tell that manager that she's an infected thundercunt who would do the entire world a favor if her uterus fell out of her body and then shot her in the mouth while making its desperate escape.

Or, you could just quit. My way would be more fun, though.

This would be a fantastic way to turn in your "notice"...DO THIS!

• Members

Here's the backstory

A few months ago my wife and I took part time jobs cleaning an office bldg in the evenings Monday thru Friday. Only one of us works each night so we switch off. I might work 3 nights and my wife works the 2 that I don't.

The supervisor is the most miserable and hateful person I've ever been around. She hates the company, hates the people in the office, hates her life, etc. Nobody can do anything right except her. She has some serious issues and needs professional help in my opinion.

We found out that she is really laying into us when we are not there. Some is work related and some is personal.

I

• Members

you say she is a miserable person and makes you guys feel like {censored} just being around her. that is a completely separate issue from her talking {censored} behind your back. what dont you follow?

I see. I can put up with horrible bosses, I've done it before but the talking {censored} to behind our backs is what really got under my skin. We've been putting up with her attitude since January but just this week found out about the other stuff, that's what prompted my post.

• Members

If you don't need the money, quit and find another job you like better. I understand putting up with crap when you need the money, but putting up with it just for extra gravy does not make sense.

This is kind of how we're leaning.

• Members

This is kind of how we're leaning.

yeah, not worth the drama. You might want to consider complaining to her boss before you quit. Worst thing that could happen is you would lose the job, but if you don't need it and are already thinking about quitting it :idk:

• Members

Either get another job, grow thicker skin, or do your job well enough that there can be no complaints made behind your back.

This, eventually people will get sick of complainer's bull{censored}, and complainer will end up needing to find work elsewhere.

• Members

if you've addressed her about being {censored}ty-- which you CAN do, for the record-- and she won't stop-- call HR and put it on record that the woman's doing. chances are good, it's not the first time, and they'll put it in her record. if {censored} hits the fan, they have documentation that she's a bad apple.

if you hate the behavior, and it's not getting better, tell somebody. it's not only effecting you, obviously.. so don't let it fester.

you can go to HR without addressing her-- but for the sake of consideration-- i'd start with her. NOT doing it at the time was a bit of a mistake though- 'cause it's like smacking a dog an hour after pissing on the rug at that point sometimes.

• Members

Either get another job, grow thicker skin, or do your job well enough that there can be no complaints made behind your back.

Can't be done. Nobody does their job well enough in her mind. FYI, the job consists of emptying trash cans and dusting desks. It's not rocket surgery.

Here's a small example from the other night. Each desk has 2 trash cans. One brown and one blue. She wanted me to make a list of all of the desks that needed either one or both, then give her the list so she could go around and put out trash cans. I asked if I could just load up a cart with trash cans and put them in place when I found one missing. She got pissed and said "do whatever, nobody listens to me anyways".

You'd have to spend a week or two there to fully understand what I'm talking about.

• Members

If there's one thing I have learned in my life, it's that the company will always side with management.

If she's your boss, you lose.

The argument could be made the other way too. In the example you just gave, she told you exactly what she wanted.........you tried to do it your own way.....instead of saying "ok" and doing it. Which makes you a problem employee.

Just saying :idk:

• Members

If there's one thing I have learned in my life, it's that the company will always side with management.

If she's your boss, you lose.

The argument could be made the other way too. In the example you just gave, she told you exactly what she wanted.........you tried to do it your own way.....instead of saying "ok" and doing it. Which makes you a problem employee.

Just saying
:idk:

I do like to blaze my own trail.

We'll most likely not say anything, just do the job and come home until we've either knocked down some of the bills, the main one being a new roof, or we've had enough of her.

Archived