So I scored a Marshall 1887X today and compared it to my JVM.

shane159

• Members

I scored a 1987X today for $900 bucks and I played it against my JVM tonight. The first thing that I noticed is how {censored}ing thick and chewy the amp was compared to the JVM. I have always been a fan of the Marshall crunch sounds and I own a DSL , JVM410H, and a Laney AOR 50 watt. The first thing I noticed comparing the JVM and the RI, is that the 1987 is a {censored}ing monster at thick mid gain tones. That being said the RI has to have a good bit of volume to reach that Holy {censored} tone. I love my JVM and the crunch channel on red can get pretty close to that dimed Plexi sound, but once I got the RI above 4 , I can honestly say that is the Marshall tone hands down. I love the options of my JVM, but the 1987 at volume is hands down the best mid gain/crunch sound I have ever had. The thing that sucks is now I want to sell the JVM and RI to buy a legit Plexi. What model Plexi would you suggest???

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Excuse my typing , I have had a few tonight. Seriously the Plexi is a monster but it has to be loud as {censored}. What would be some more options without killing my ears?? The JVM is great, but once you play the Plexi , it just sounds like a toy.

• Members

There are a couple of options for getting that tone at a lower volume. You could go with a PPMIV, an attenuator, and powerscaling. Using the right speakers can help too.

I went with the powerscaling option with my Fargen Miniplex MKII (it uses London Power scaling) and have been very satisfied.

• Members

I own a 50 watt DSL, and a Laney AOR 50 watt. I know that those are different amps, but I can get the same tones out of all of them. The JVM has a tad more lows and punch over the DSL, but the 1987X just sounds massive. It also sounds good with both single coils and humbuckers. I just got used to my JVM having the cleans and crunch with the FX/loop that could be assigned to each channel without being louder than my drummer. That being said, the Plexi reacts so good to my single coil and humbucker guitars. Is there a model or mod that would give me a switchable clean??

• Members

I own a 50 watt DSL, and a Laney AOR 50 watt. I know that those are different amps, but I can get the same tones out of all of them. The JVM has a tad more lows and punch over the DSL, but the 1987X just sounds massive. It also sounds good with both single coils and humbuckers. I just got used to my JVM having the cleans and crunch with the FX/loop that could be assigned to each channel without being louder than my drummer. That being said, the Plexi reacts so good to my single coil and humbucker guitars. Is there a model or mod that would give me a switchable clean??

Volume knob on your guitar.

And a boost ;)

• Members

If you want footswitchable clean the answer is 2x 1987x.

It does annoy me when people say "just use your volume pot", in some applications that totally not possible, if you need slick channel changes then the volume pot thing just isnt going to work.

You could try getting a clean from switching to the input of the FX loop ( i dont even know if the 1987x has one?!) use an A/B box and then run one side to the amps input, the other side to an EQ pedal then the input of the FX loop.

• Members

If you want footswitchable clean the answer is 2x 1987x.

It does annoy me when people say "just use your volume pot", in some applications that totally not possible, if you need slick channel changes then the volume pot thing just isnt going to work.

You could try getting a clean from switching to the input of the FX loop ( i dont even know if the 1987x has one?!) use an A/B box and then run one side to the amps input, the other side to an EQ pedal then the input of the FX loop.

or you could just use a clean boost and your volume pot, which neil already recommended.

if you can't get the kinda gain drops out of the combo of those two that you're talking about... something may be wrong with the amp or the player. :D

seriously though-- i used either pedals for gain in a clean amp, or this strategy for.. forever.. and they're pretty similar. not separately eq'able-- but i didn't have that option before. guess it's all what you're used to.

• Members

or you could just use a clean boost
and
your volume pot, which neil already recommended.

if you can't get the kinda gain drops out of the combo of those two that you're talking about... something may be wrong with the amp or the player.
:D

seriously though-- i used either pedals for gain in a clean amp, or this strategy for.. forever.. and they're pretty similar. not separately eq'able-- but i didn't have that option before. guess it's all what you're used to.

People shouldnt have to be amazingly capable players or techs to get the best out of an piece of equipment.

• Members

People shouldnt have to be amazingly capable players or techs to get the best out of an piece of equipment.

you don't have to be- all i'm saying is, it does the exact same thing as another gain stage to have a clean boost out front. if you're looking for high gain to dead nuts clean... naw, it won't work. but it will if you're using up to a certain threshold. but why would you be using a plexi for high gain applications anyhow?

what you're recommending involves a lot more wire and gear than a single boost in the line anyhow-- so that'd take more technical ability than some people have :lol:

• Members

you don't have to be- all i'm saying is, it does the exact same thing as another gain stage to have a clean boost out front. if you're looking for high gain to dead nuts clean... naw, it won't work. but it will if you're using up to a certain threshold. but why would you be using a plexi for high gain applications anyhow?

what you're recommending involves a lot more wire and gear than a single boost in the line anyhow-- so that'd take more technical ability than some people have
:lol:

Its a fairly simple thing to do, A/B switching isnt exactly rocket science.

I'm a single channel guy myself, i ride the volume pot and i find it works for me and the application i use it in but i can understand how it wouldnt work for a lot of styles.

I guess you could always get a faux clean channel by getting one of those passive volume pedals and just cut it back til you get the cleans you need although their might be a difference in the actually volumes which might prove to be a tad annoying.

• Members

Volume and boost works unless you play metal. If that's the case don't use a plexi, or don't use cleans.

Or use a plexi and a Roland Jazz Chorus :D

The plexi is a single channel amp and meant to be used that way, running 2 heads is a can of worms and for the average gig to much.

• Members

Volume and boost works unless you play metal, tech/skate punk,modern melodic rock, hardcore. If that's the case don't use a plexi, or don't use cleans.

Or use a plexi and a Roland Jazz Chorus
:D

The plexi is a single channel amp and meant to be used that way, running 2 heads is a can of worms and for the average gig to much.

fixed

• Members

fixed

I play punk and heavy rock always have done, but I can make it work. Not that I use much clean.

{censored} it Guns and Roses made it work too

Go and buy some wildhearts records they use that method and they are not a soft band by any means. I asked Ginger about it years ago.

So changing my post was just silly really.

• Members

I play punk and heavy rock always have done, but I can make it work. Not that I use much clean.

{censored} it Guns and Roses made it work too

Go and buy some wildhearts records they use that method and they are not a soft band by any means. I asked Ginger about it years ago.

So changing my post was just silly really.

So try playing stuff like Forus, A Willhelm Scream, Life On Repeat and I Am Abomination while riding your volume pot, its just not going to happen, sometime you just have to have the flexibility of a footswitch. Mind you all of those bands are from post '97 so you probably havent heard of them and would label them as "crabcore" or some other sub-genre that doesnt exist.

• Members

So try playing stuff like Forus, A Willhelm Scream, Life On Repeat and I Am Abomination while riding your volume pot, its just not going to happen, sometime you just have to have the flexibility of a footswitch. Mind you all of those bands are from post '97 so you probably havent heard of them and would label them as "crabcore" or some other sub-genre that doesnt exist.

I cant help you like {censored} music

But I like plenty of bands from now, its just you like the {censored}ty ones :lol:

Crabcore exists on this forum my friend to describe a lot of bands you like. I don't mind that.though it doesn't effect my world at all, I play for fun

But you can still make a plexi clean up with a boost and a volume knob, and if you want to get fancy a coil tap. For quick switching don't use a plexi :lol: but for playing clean parts it will work

I listen to bands like Melt banana and you can't play that {censored} without a ton of pedals... So what's your point, oh yeh you have been proved wrong oh boo {censored}ing hoo

• Members

I cant help you like {censored} music

But I like plenty of bands from now, its just you like the {censored}ty ones
Crabcore exists on this forum my friend to describe a lot of bands you like. I don't mind that.though it doesn't effect my world at all, I play for fun

But you can still make a plexi clean up with a boost and a volume knob, and if you want to get fancy a coil tap. For quick switching don't use a plexi
but for playing clean parts it will work

I listen to bands like Melt banana and you can't play that {censored} without a ton of pedals... So what's your point, oh yeh you have been proved wrong oh boo {censored}ing hoo

Wow, that post owned me about as much as Ellen owns a hard dick.

Melt Banana, whats that........... 15 years ago, times have changed, music has evolved, get over your hatred of the new music.

• Members

Wow, that post owned me about as much as Ellen owns a hard dick.

Melt Banana, whats that........... 15 years ago, times have changed, music has evolved, get over your hatred of the new music.

I never said I hated new music, its those voices in your head :o

I just hate bad new music

LoL

LoL

• Members

You mean the third richest country in the world

did you really say that, if so you are an idiot
Geography and economics how does it work?

Heard of humour before? Probably not, the illiterate do usually struggle with humour.

Archived