CLIPS - BBC Gospel Special - My Mesa F-50 live [UK internet users primarily]

Dann'sTheMan

• Members

Hi HCAF,

I haven't posted a clip here for ages, but I hope I've not been completely forgotten! I'm still having fun with my Mesa F-50 - both clean and dirty sounds. I'm lucky enough to play for the BBC's first port of call for all things gospel (he also provided the content for a "Spirituals" special that was aired last week). The link below was from a "Gospel" special that was broadcast on the BBC today.

It's mostly clean sounds from my F-50 with FX from my G-Major, and either a vintage Dynacomp or an OCD ("Revive Us Again" and "Total Praise") up front. In case you're wondering, I'm not adding any Reverb to my chain - it's all natural. The church was ridiculously live (you can hear it during the interview with Avery Sunshine), and so we had to use an electronic drum kit. I was able to get away with miking my amp, and yet again, I'm thrilled that my Boogie can sound tasty at such low volumes. The audio and most of the video is recorded entirely live, which made for a long and tiring recording session with the 800 or so people in the church.

Please do check it out on the BBC website - there'll probably be access restrictions e.g. needing to access from UK internet location/IP address. If anyone knows how to work around this, then please let me know, as I'd love a computer friendly version for posterity. In the meantime, the link will be valid for 7 days only, so please let me know what you think!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jg6zq/Songs_of_Praise_Gospel_Music_Celebration/

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Thanks Neil,

FWIW, I sometimes use my office's VPN system to pretend I'm in a country I'm not - useful for watching Lovefilm whilst I'm in Japan,

Big smiles,

Andy.

I have a VPN in the UK. And the tv license is paid For :) I like the bbc and don't mind paying for It.

And why is my phone adding random capital letters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just watched it, interesting stuff I have always liked gospel.

Its weird watching it though, I kind of rejected all religious songs since going to a Christian school as a child.

Tell me about the guitar you were playing
:)

Hi Neil,

Thanks for taking the time. Gospel music is often seen as a cultural and stylistic form, and so many can appreciate and enjoy it on that level without getting conflicted. For me, as a gospel musician, there's a genuine smile on my face and if people are intrigued about genuine Christianity, then that's cool - I'm always happy to share. No pressure, but no masquerade either - simply what it is. :)

As for the guitar I was using: it's my Eric Johnson strat - customised with a tortoiseshell pickguard, and some extra shielding to try to keep the single coil noise down. I bought her in Ochanomizu during a trip to Japan a few years back - one of those guitars you can't walk away from... The guitar is not particularly high in the mix, but hopefully the tones shone through enough to bring about some smiles. The guitar is quite the tone monster (and my Mesa was singing thanks to a retube), and I left my PRS in its case (a guitar that I know always records well in a live TV setting) - I'm pleased to have some video capture of it.

How are your strats treating you?

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Didnt get a chance to see but How the heck are you Andy?!?!? Its been a real long time and I miss the heck out of ya. Hope all is well with you and yours my brother!!

All the best

Kage

Hi Kage,

So good to hear from you! I don't have much time to post any more, so I'm a bit of a lurker at HCAF, and I've also not signed up for any of the other popular forums for the same reason.

How are you buddy? I miss you too! I'm well! I'm sorry we couldn't meet up the last time I was in NY. I changed role in my company, and don't tend to travel over to the US as much - which I miss. My family has expanded thanks to when my third daughter came along a few years back. All my girls are musicians - multi-instrumentalists even (vox, drums, bass, some classical instruments and of course guitar), and my wife even jumps on the kit from time to time.

I lost my Dad a couple months ago, but at 84, he had had a good life, and was blessed with a good death - having the hope of seeing him again one day certainly helped get me through. That's what "gospel" or "good news" is all about of course.

Your miracle son must be so big now? Hope all is well with your beautiful family?

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Same issue here, no go on watching/listening.

Hi JerEvil,

You too - thank you for trying. If I find a way of sharing without these restrictions I'll let you know. How is your Boogie treating you? You seem to be enjoying your F-50, and I've really enjoyed the clips you've posted - Great Job! :cool:

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Hi Neil,

Thanks for taking the time. Gospel music is often seen as a cultural and stylistic form, and so many can appreciate and enjoy it on that level without getting conflicted. For me, as a gospel musician, there's a genuine smile on my face and if people are intrigued about genuine Christianity, then that's cool - I'm always happy to share. No pressure, but no masquerade either - simply what it is.

As for the guitar I was using: it's my Eric Johnson strat - customised with a tortoiseshell pickguard, and some extra shielding to try to keep the single coil noise down. I bought her in Ochanomizu during a trip to Japan a few years back - one of those guitars you can't walk away from... The guitar is not particularly high in the mix, but hopefully the tones shone through enough to bring about some smiles. The guitar is quite the tone monster (and my Mesa was singing thanks to a retube), and I left my PRS in its case (a guitar that I know always records well in a live TV setting) - I'm pleased to have some video capture of it.

How are your strats treating you?

Big smiles,

Andy.

I love your positive attitude :)

I do like gospel, it's such a soulful beautiful music. It was fun to see.

My strats are good, my Japanese strat is in the UK ironically. That was also a cool find, I bought it at the rock-inn at Ebina (kanagawa)

• Members

I love your positive attitude

I do like gospel, it's such a soulful beautiful music. It was fun to see.

My strats are good, my Japanese strat is in the UK ironically. That was also a cool find, I bought it at the rock-inn at Ebina (kanagawa)

Hey Neil,

I'm thrilled you enjoyed it - attitude is one of the few things in life we can hope to control.

I was in Ebina a few months ago, and of course I went looking for Rock Inn. I was surprised that it had moved to the opposite end of VINA Walk. Still a good shop though! It was a good day, as there was an excellent live band playing in the middle of the complex - the guitarist was exceptionally tasty, and was getting great tones out of a Boss GT-8. Great weather too, so definitely a cool way to spend an afternoon listening to live music in the sun.

My Mrs is in Japan at the moment visiting her folks. My oldest and youngest daughters are with her, and the oldest will be going to Japanese school this week. My middle girl is with me during half term, but she accompanied me on the trip above, so she's had her jolly this year! :p

Is everything working out for you in Japan as you hoped? You're now living in your wife's home town IIRC?

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Hey Neil,

I'm thrilled you enjoyed it - attitude is one of the few things in life we can hope to control.

I was in Ebina a few months ago, and of course I went looking for Rock Inn. I was surprised that it had moved to the opposite end of VINA Walk. Still a good shop though! It was a good day, as there was an excellent live band playing in the middle of the complex - the guitarist was exceptionally tasty, and was getting great tones out of a Boss GT-8. Great weather too, so definitely a cool way to spend an afternoon listening to live music in the sun.

My Mrs is in Japan at the moment visiting her folks. My oldest and youngest daughters are with her, and the oldest will be going to Japanese school this week. My middle girl is with me during half term, but she accompanied me on the trip above, so she's had her jolly this year!
:p

Is everything working out for you in Japan as you hoped? You're now living in your wife's home town IIRC?

Big smiles,

Andy.

Cool I like Ebina a lot.

Though I am looking to go back to the uk in the future, it has been a good experience for my son.

It's a small town and I miss city life (and London) though people here are so kind. and I will be here for a little longer, I just hope the economy improves in the uk soon.

• Members

Good to see you posting again Andy :thu: I remember you were very helpful with some MIDI questions I had a couple of years back!

Cool video with some great tones, I really dig the atmostphere in Gospel churches. I'm not what would be considered religious, or practicing at least, but if I was the atmostphere at those places is so much more positive and appealing than more traditional churches.

Good stuff!

• Members

Good to see you posting again Andy
:thu:
I remember you were very helpful with some MIDI questions I had a couple of years back!

Cool video with some great tones, I really dig the atmostphere in Gospel churches. I'm not what would be considered religious, or practicing at least, but if I was the atmostphere at those places is so much more positive and appealing than more traditional churches.

Good stuff!

Hi Marshredder,

Thanks for taking the time to check out the clip, and for the warm welcome back. :) I'm thrilled you enjoyed the tones, I did a retube that week, and of course a fresh restring the night before - my rig was certainly singing.

I know what you mean about the atmosphere in Gospel churches. Growing up, I was always proud to see some gospel on the telly - it painted a very different picture of Christianity than the rather staid portrayal that was the norm. Now the reality is that, like all things in life, there's a full spectrum of gospel music in churches from good to bad. Hopefully however we did a good job of encapsulating what "good" quality gospel church music can be like. More importantly hopefully we showed that the people in gospel churches are down to earth and authentic - from bus drivers to party animals; and they have had their everyday lives enriched through gospel,

Big smiles,

Andy.

P.S. How is your MIDI rig hanging together? If you ever need a 2nd opinion/advice about achieving what you'd like to achieve, then always feel free to shoot me a message. :cool:

Archived