Nostalgia

spawnofthesith

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Verbal Assault, The Circle Jerks, Master of Puppets(Total game changer for me) and a whole bunch of hardcore and punk that I would never even consider popping in the player today.

The '80s were a very expansive time in music.

• Members

@ 13 a friend gave me Anthrax's (newly released) Among the Living because there was a song about Judge Dread. It's insane to think about where my enjoyment of that comic led me...anthrax covered Sabbath, Sabbath inspired me to get a guitar...college as a music major...drugs...manual labor job...etc.

• Members

@ 13 a friend gave me Anthrax's (newly released) Among the Living because there was a song about Judge Dread. It's insane to think about where my enjoyment of that comic led me...anthrax covered Sabbath, Sabbath inspired me to get a guitar...college as a music major...drugs...manual labor job...etc.

Are you saying Judge Dredd ruined your life?

• Members

Age 13 = 1986.

Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Black Flag, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Ramones. Not coincidentally, this is the year I started playing the guitar.

The next year I would be introduced to Metallica and that would, as was said upthread, be a game changer.

• Members

Twelve was the big year for me:

• I got into Rush majorly and found all their records through Moving Pictures and then immediately picked up Signals when it came out

• My stepbrother had ended his life, and I received his Sabbath collection -- all the Ozzy-fronted albums. I nearly couldn't stop listening to them all the way through, back to back

• Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast came out

• MTV had only been out a year and was playing nonstop music videos, which a friend and I watched after stealing and drinking tiny bottles of airline liquor his mom had hidden away, then hanging out at the pool with some girls that seemed cute back then. :D I dug some of the new wave bands as well as occasional vids of some rock/metal bands

• Arcades were becoming a big thing, and the couple of local arcades nearly always had classic rock as well as newer rock playing, which is how I first heard some bands I like.

• There was no internet, and the best/newest home video game system at the time was Colecovision (which I ended up getting :D). So in order to play a cool D&D type game, you actually had to get out some dice and a pencil and play D&D. :D But it was sometimes pretty cool to play different types of music while playing, and drawing at the time connected D&D themes with newer metal that was coming out, like the Number of the Beast cover.

14-18 is when I got into punk/hardcore/shred/thrash and ended up getting my first guitar. Good times. :cool:

• Members

• There was no internet, and the best/newest home video game system at the time was Colecovision (which I ended up getting
    :D
    ).
    So in order to play a cool D&D type game, you actually had to get out some dice and a pencil and play D&D.
    But it was sometimes pretty cool to play different types of music while playing, and drawing at the time connected D&D themes with newer metal that was coming out, like the Number of the Beast cover.

•  

Like it should be dammit!

Let's see, 1993. I was listening to lots of Moody Blues (dad got us literal FRONT AND CENTER tickets to see them with the local orchestra). I signed up for BMG and got a bunch of crappy albums that I don't even remember but I did get ZZ Top's greatest hits and Steppenwolf's greatest hits.

But by the time I was 15 I didn't give a crap about any of the albums I'd already bought outside of the ones I just mentioned. My musical tastes really developed later in HS and onto college.

• Members

Like it should be dammit!

Let's see, 1993. I was listening to lots of Moody Blues (dad got us literal FRONT AND CENTER tickets to see them with the local orchestra). I signed up for BMG and got a bunch of crappy albums that I don't even remember but I did get ZZ Top's greatest hits and Steppenwolf's greatest hits.

But by the time I was 15 I didn't give a crap about any of the albums I'd already bought outside of the ones I just mentioned. My musical tastes really developed later in HS and onto college.

I remember getting a lot of tapes from some club and never paying for them before I even knew what a check or money order was. :D And I also only dug about 2-3 of the tapes, like some Zep or something. :D

• Members

Another odd ball that I discovered back then was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. My cousin had the Uplift Mofo Party Plan on cassette. I borrowed it and didn't quite understand what I was hearing. But fell in love with it anyway. My friends thought I was crazy. But I knew I was on to something. When Mothers Milk came out, everyone was all "Oh these guys are teh awsumm". I was like "Where were you four years ago losers?".

• Members

1983 for me, and I was heavily into Rush and was all over the Signals and Grace Under Pressure albums. MTV had gotten started, and I would spend hours in front of the tv either watching or playing along to videos, so, pretty much everything. Michael Jackson, The Police, Huey Lewis, Duran Duran, Madonna, etc.

• Members

1983 for me, and I was heavily into Rush and was all over the Signals and Grace Under Pressure albums. MTV had gotten started, and I would spend hours in front of the tv either watching or playing along to videos, so, pretty much everything. Michael Jackson, The Police, Huey Lewis, Duran Duran, Madonna, etc.

The salad days of MTV were pretty damn awesome. It actually was cutting edge. Instead of cookie cutter.

• Members

I was living in London when the Beatles, The Rolling stones came on the scene - this was in 1963.

Big Hits wheb I was 13.......
    Love Me Do (Beatles)...Ferry Cross the Mersey (Gerry and the Pacemakers)...It's All Over Now (Rolling Stones...I'm Into Something Good (Herman's Hermit's)...
    Glad All Over (Dave Clark Five)...Surfing Safari (The Beach Boys)...anything by Elvis, The Beach Boys, Ricky Nelson, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

I'm feeling old :eek::facepalm:

• Members

13 = 1992 for me. Started listening to Pearl Jam then which was the band that made me want to play guitar. This was the real big era of music which really made me want to play music.

Metallica - Black album

Nirvana - Nevermind

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

• Members

Are you saying Judge Dredd ruined your life?

Nah, I did that myself. And these days I'm a 38 y/o home owner who still enjoys picking and has an impressive gear collection. I haven't done too too badly. Just interesting to me that JD led me to this. At 13 I'd played sax for about 6 years and knew that I loved music but hated playing sax. I was contemplating a keyboard or a guitar when I heard Sabbath...

Iommi saved my life!!!! =D

• Members

Twelve was the big year for me:

• I got into Rush majorly and found all their records through Moving Pictures and then immediately picked up Signals when it came out

• My stepbrother had ended his life, and I received his Sabbath collection -- all the Ozzy-fronted albums. I nearly couldn't stop listening to them all the way through, back to back

• Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast came out

• MTV had only been out a year and was playing nonstop music videos, which a friend and I watched after stealing and drinking tiny bottles of airline liquor his mom had hidden away, then hanging out at the pool with some girls that seemed cute back then.
      I dug some of the new wave bands as well as occasional vids of some rock/metal bands

• Arcades were becoming a big thing, and the couple of local arcades nearly always had classic rock as well as newer rock playing, which is how I first heard some bands I like.

• There was no internet, and the best/newest home video game system at the time was Colecovision (which I ended up getting
      ). So in order to play a cool D&D type game, you actually had to get out some dice and a pencil and play D&D.
      But it was sometimes pretty cool to play different types of music while playing, and drawing at the time connected D&D themes with newer metal that was coming out, like the Number of the Beast cover.

14-18 is when I got into punk/hardcore/shred/thrash and ended up getting my first guitar. Good times.
    :cool:

Badass, except for the stepbrother.....I would've loved to have been 16-18 in that era

Archived