No announcement yet.

Nostalgia

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia

What were you listening to when you were 13?

This was the first band that truly got me into the whole metal thing (beyond radio metal bands lol). From there it has spiraled into a love of most metal subgenres.

VHT/Fryette DEATH SQUAD

Great deals here and on Rig-talk with: Boatshoes/smucarolina, goldwing68nv, tkozuch, chakosh, Norton666

Current whoredom: VHT Pitbull 50/CL

Past whordom: Peavey 5150 II | ENGL Steve Morse 100 | Jet City JCA20H | Mesa Boogie Mark V | Sunn 200s | Orange Thunderverb 50 | Peavey 5150 | Laney GH100L

Originally Posted by MarkBastable

You don't crap in the bidet, you colonial peasant.

I was hoping this thread would be about this album:

Shroud of Bereavement - Symphonic Death/Doom metal from New England
    Recently Vacated Graves: True Zombie Metal
    My Guitar Center Microsite Profile

Agile PS-900
    B.C. Rich USA Gunslinger
    Charvel CX390
    HevAri Dragonrider 7-string (custom built)
    LTD M-207 7-string
    Schecter Damien Elite 8

Engl E102 Digitalamp head
    Fryette Sig:X head
    VHT Deliverance 60 head
    Veretone custom 4x12 w/ VHT P50Es
    VHT FatBottom 4x12

VHT/Fryette Death Squad
    Extended Range Players Club

Comment

At 13?

PanterA mother****************er, which was also the same year I saw them live on the reel steel tour.

Yeah, PanterA at 13. Suck it brah

Comment

Verbal Assault, The Circle Jerks, Master of Puppets(Total game changer for me) and a whole bunch of hardcore and punk that I would never even consider popping in the player today.

The '80s were a very expansive time in music.
        Look how hard my heart hurts.
        I need help, give me the works.

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

I haven't been drunk on sale for a long time either.

Originally Posted by telephant

You sound like an uptight loser and I suspect you have a lot less friends than you claim. Also, your wife is probably a fatty.

Comment

That was awesome
          VHT/Fryette DEATH SQUAD

Great deals here and on Rig-talk with: Boatshoes/smucarolina, goldwing68nv, tkozuch, chakosh, Norton666

Current whoredom: VHT Pitbull 50/CL

Past whordom: Peavey 5150 II | ENGL Steve Morse 100 | Jet City JCA20H | Mesa Boogie Mark V | Sunn 200s | Orange Thunderverb 50 | Peavey 5150 | Laney GH100L

Originally Posted by MarkBastable

You don't crap in the bidet, you colonial peasant.

Comment

Metallica and Ozzy mostly at the time.

Comment

Appetite For Destruction
              You don't win friends with salad

BRO CLUB MEMBER: NaturalBornBro

All that is needed for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Entombed, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Sepultura, Slayer, Benediction, Carcass
                "Really the only way you can get good, unless you are a genius, is to copy" Ritchie Blackmore

Comment

@ 13 a friend gave me Anthrax's (newly released) Among the Living because there was a song about Judge Dread. It's insane to think about where my enjoyment of that comic led me...anthrax covered Sabbath, Sabbath inspired me to get a guitar...college as a music major...drugs...manual labor job...etc.
                  This here is my music what I make with my mouth and instruments and such

Comment

@ 13 a friend gave me Anthrax's (newly released) Among the Living because there was a song about Judge Dread. It's insane to think about where my enjoyment of that comic led me...anthrax covered Sabbath, Sabbath inspired me to get a guitar...college as a music major...drugs...manual labor job...etc.

Are you saying Judge Dredd ruined your life?
                    VHT/FRYETTE DEATH SQUAD

Comment

Age 13 = 1986.

Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Black Flag, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Ramones. Not coincidentally, this is the year I started playing the guitar.

The next year I would be introduced to Metallica and that would, as was said upthread, be a game changer.

Comment

Twelve was the big year for me:

• I got into Rush majorly and found all their records through Moving Pictures and then immediately picked up Signals when it came out
                        • My stepbrother had ended his life, and I received his Sabbath collection -- all the Ozzy-fronted albums. I nearly couldn't stop listening to them all the way through, back to back
                        • Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast came out
                        • MTV had only been out a year and was playing nonstop music videos, which a friend and I watched after stealing and drinking tiny bottles of airline liquor his mom had hidden away, then hanging out at the pool with some girls that seemed cute back then. I dug some of the new wave bands as well as occasional vids of some rock/metal bands
                        • Arcades were becoming a big thing, and the couple of local arcades nearly always had classic rock as well as newer rock playing, which is how I first heard some bands I like.
                        • There was no internet, and the best/newest home video game system at the time was Colecovision (which I ended up getting ). So in order to play a cool D&D type game, you actually had to get out some dice and a pencil and play D&D. But it was sometimes pretty cool to play different types of music while playing, and drawing at the time connected D&D themes with newer metal that was coming out, like the Number of the Beast cover.

14-18 is when I got into punk/hardcore/shred/thrash and ended up getting my first guitar. Good times.
                        __________________________________________________ ________
                        Great transactions: -Juggernaut-, Beergoblin, Boris the Blade, Guttermouth, Tubesteakfortone, thriftyshirt, craftswitch, negative theory, and dethmetalanimal

Comment

• There was no internet, and the best/newest home video game system at the time was Colecovision (which I ended up getting ). So in order to play a cool D&D type game, you actually had to get out some dice and a pencil and play D&D. But it was sometimes pretty cool to play different types of music while playing, and drawing at the time connected D&D themes with newer metal that was coming out, like the Number of the Beast cover.

• Like it should be dammit!

Let's see, 1993. I was listening to lots of Moody Blues (dad got us literal FRONT AND CENTER tickets to see them with the local orchestra). I signed up for BMG and got a bunch of crappy albums that I don't even remember but I did get ZZ Top's greatest hits and Steppenwolf's greatest hits.

But by the time I was 15 I didn't give a crap about any of the albums I'd already bought outside of the ones I just mentioned. My musical tastes really developed later in HS and onto college.
                          Originally Posted by TheEternal

Can't you just let Jesus melt your face?

life's too short not to eat bee's

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
                          Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

Comment

Like it should be dammit!

Let's see, 1993. I was listening to lots of Moody Blues (dad got us literal FRONT AND CENTER tickets to see them with the local orchestra). I signed up for BMG and got a bunch of crappy albums that I don't even remember but I did get ZZ Top's greatest hits and Steppenwolf's greatest hits.

But by the time I was 15 I didn't give a crap about any of the albums I'd already bought outside of the ones I just mentioned. My musical tastes really developed later in HS and onto college.

I remember getting a lot of tapes from some club and never paying for them before I even knew what a check or money order was. And I also only dug about 2-3 of the tapes, like some Zep or something.
                            __________________________________________________ ________
                            Great transactions: -Juggernaut-, Beergoblin, Boris the Blade, Guttermouth, Tubesteakfortone, thriftyshirt, craftswitch, negative theory, and dethmetalanimal

Comment

Another odd ball that I discovered back then was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. My cousin had the Uplift Mofo Party Plan on cassette. I borrowed it and didn't quite understand what I was hearing. But fell in love with it anyway. My friends thought I was crazy. But I knew I was on to something. When Mothers Milk came out, everyone was all "Oh these guys are teh awsumm". I was like "Where were you four years ago losers?".
                              Look how hard my heart hurts.
                              I need help, give me the works.

I haven't been drunk on sale for a long time either.

Originally Posted by telephant

You sound like an uptight loser and I suspect you have a lot less friends than you claim. Also, your wife is probably a fatty.

Comment

Working...
                              X