Them newfangled jet city fake tube thingydoodles.

Dr.Picklebottom

• Members

as cheap and long-lived as preamp tubes are, I don't see the market for them at this price.
:confused:

Once they start to sell singles, I will buy one to try. At the VERY least, they would be a great replacement in emergency situations and they're much less fragile so I can keep a couple in my gig bag without worrying about breaking them etc.

If they sound like real tubes, I would probably replace at least the PI with one.

• Members

Once they start to sell singles, I will buy one to try. At the VERY least, they would be a great replacement in emergency situations and they're much less fragile so I can keep a couple in my gig bag without worrying about breaking them etc.

If they sound like real tubes, I would probably replace at least the PI with one.

Just curious, why the p.i? I would think the input and p.i would be the last 2 I would replace with these.. That is assuming there is some difference in tone.. JusT physics doesn't allow me to believe these are identical to tubes in tone...

But I see no reason why I wouldn't try them..

Hell, maybe I would like the tone better, and in that case these would make a great input stage tube, due to the lack of microphonics and noise.

• Members

Just curious, why the p.i? I would think the input and p.i would be the last 2 I would replace with these.. That is assuming there is some difference in tone.. JusT physics doesn't allow me to believe these are identical to tubes in tone...

But I see no reason why I wouldn't try them..

Hell, maybe I would like the tone better, and in that case these would make a great input stage tube, due to the lack of microphonics and noise.

In my experience, PI tubes are the ones that tend to go microphonic more often. So having a bullet-proof "tube" there would definitely be a good thing.

• Members

In my experience, PI tubes are the ones that tend to go microphonic more often. So having a bullet-proof "tube" there would definitely be a good thing.

With the exception of the SS tube in the PI slot shorting and {censored}ing the outputs.

Tubes generally weaken or open, not as common to short. SS components short with any over current which more than typically ends in catastrophic failures.

My bud had a set of SS tubes made and introduced about 5 years ago (company NLIB). One shorted and blew the {censored} out of a lot of things in his amp. Screen and Plate resistors, PS parts, and other things. One huge reason they never gained popularity. :idk:

Maybe they can try again for preamp tubes, but I wouldn't be too sure about output tubes ss replacements again.

• Members

I've had micro phonic v1 and v2 12ax7s work fine in the PI slot. Interesting some of you having them be noisy in the PI although they can in any slot. I've gotten more mileage out of some of my 12ax7s that were noisy in other slots and using them as a phase inverter.

• Members

Saw some guy hawking a version a couple years ago at the Philly guitar show.

Hell, Tektronix had a version they used in their oscilloscopes back in the '60's.

Oh, and you want the least microphonic preamp tubes in the first preamp stages, the further down the line you get, the noisier the tube can be like in the PI slot.

Except for reverb stages of course.

• Members

With the exception of the SS tube in the PI slot shorting and {censored}ing the outputs.

Tubes generally weaken or open, not as common to short. SS components short with any over current which more than typically ends in catastrophic failures.

My bud had a set of SS tubes made and introduced about 5 years ago (company NLIB). One shorted and blew the {censored} out of a lot of things in his amp. Screen and Plate resistors, PS parts, and other things. One huge reason they never gained popularity.
:idk:

Maybe they can try again for preamp tubes, but I wouldn't be too sure about output tubes ss replacements again.

I would hope they have addressed these issues. The tubes do have a lifetime guarantee. Of course that doesn't cover all other issues it could cause to the amp, but it seems like it's a solid guarantee for something that would be likely to short out.

• Members

RetroValves are 100% analog vacuum tube replacement devices offering the warm, fat, punchy sound traditionally associated with only glass vacuum tubes. RetroValves are pin-for-pin compatible with 12AX7 tubes in nearly any guitar amplifier, offering instant modification of preamp gain characteristics.

Amber RetroValves are nominally the same gain as a standard 12AX7 and perform as you would expect a 12AX7 would.

Red RetroValves are very high gain, allowing the preamp to achieve gain characteristics not possible with standard vacuum tubes.

Blue RetroValves are significantly lower gain, effectively

• Members

RetroValves are 100% analog vacuum tube replacement devices offering the warm, fat, punchy sound traditionally associated with only glass vacuum tubes. RetroValves are pin-for-pin compatible with 12AX7 tubes in nearly any guitar amplifier, offering instant modification of preamp gain characteristics.

Amber RetroValves are nominally the same gain as a standard 12AX7 and perform as you would expect a 12AX7 would.

Red RetroValves are very high gain, allowing the preamp to achieve gain characteristics not possible with standard vacuum tubes.

Blue RetroValves are significantly lower gain, effectively

• Members

I'd have no problem using these if they sound good, offer higher gain, and long life. Don't see what all the defensive butthurt is.

I have a liftetime supply of RFTs, so I probably won't be shelling out for them. And yeah, power tube replacement interest me more.

• Members

I'd have no problem using these if they sound good, offer higher gain, and long life.
Don't see what all the defensive butthurt is.

I have a liftetime supply of RFTs, so I probably won't be shelling out for them. And yeah, power tube replacement interest me more.

:lol: You've been around long enough to know that anytime a challenger steps to the plate, it can't POSSIBLY be as good as real vacuum tubes :lol: (Example: Every time a modeler comes out... :) )

• Members

Doug is supposed to be sending me some to try out. I'm going to record a clip with the 100H and do an A/B comparison without touching anything. just swapping real tubes for these things. I'll do a review/thread/video/etc once they show up.

Nice, should be worth checking out for sure!

Archived