swapping EMGs to passives...

NinjaRaf

• Members

all my LTDs have had a hole drilled but needed the wire. Pull a bridge stud, insert wire. You'll be fine. Just DO NOT samsung combo that nice LTD. :cop:

What pickups did you get?

• Members

Not really, the Humbucker from Hell is almost a single coil tone in a humbucker format, very P90-ish. The Breed is a medium-high output pickup.

right on. I honestly don't know, they sound like high output pickups.

The Breed is a Vai pickup, right? My buddy has a Evo set. They're a bit lack luster when a proper distance from the string, but when you put them really far from the string they sound INCREDIBLE for low to mid gain rock stuff. I wonder if the Breed is the same way.

• Members

right on. I honestly don't know, they sound like high output pickups.

The Breed is a Vai pickup, right? My buddy has a Evo set. They're a bit lack luster when a proper distance from the string, but when you put them really far from the string they sound INCREDIBLE for low to mid gain rock stuff. I wonder if the Breed is the same way.

The Breed was designed for Vai as a lower output, fatter sounding alternative to the Evo.

• Members

The Breed was designed for Vai as a lower output, fatter sounding alternative to the Evo.

That might rule then.

I'm actually starting to prefer the Air Norton to the '59 as a neck pickup. DiMarzio makes good stuff.

• Members

all my LTDs have had a hole drilled but needed the wire. Pull a bridge stud, insert wire. You'll be fine. Just DO NOT samsung combo that nice LTD.
:cop:

What pickups did you get?

This is what I have mostly read about installing passives on a LTD guitar....

• Members

{censored}ing bitches didnt have a tunnel for the ground, so I had to drill, then pull a post, put in a ground wire, then wire it all up. Took like 3 hours haha. {censored}ing bitches haha. Anyway, got it all wired up, and it sounds and plays awesome. I put 9 gauges on there, but I think Im gonna switch it to 10s tomorrow...they feel a little loose for e flat tuning. The pickups sound good. The HFH is pretty much what I was expecting...SUPER clean. The breed is definitely lower gain and looser than EMGs, which is cool, but I think is gonna take some getting used to since Ive been rocking the EMGs for about a year lol. Its a really different feel, but I dig it, and it sounds awesome. Ill get some clips up when my pregnant wife isnt sleeping lol.

• Members

{censored}ing bitches didnt have a tunnel for the ground, so I had to drill, then pull a post, put in a ground wire, then wire it all up. Took like 3 hours haha. {censored}ing bitches haha. Anyway, got it all wired up, and it sounds and plays awesome. I put 9 gauges on there, but I think Im gonna switch it to 10s tomorrow...they feel a little loose for e flat tuning. The pickups sound good. The HFH is pretty much what I was expecting...SUPER clean.
The breed is definitely lower gain and looser than EMGs, which is cool, but I think is gonna take some getting used to since Ive been rocking the EMGs for about a year lol.
Its a really different feel, but I dig it, and it sounds awesome. Ill get some clips up when my pregnant wife isnt sleeping lol.

I couldn't do it. I tried passive pickups for a long time and right after the honeymoon perios I was missing the EMGs again. EMGs, love them or hate them, have a very distinctive tone and feel and it's hard to go back once you're used to them.

• Members

I pulled the EMGs from a friend's LTD and I just ran a wire through out the bridge pickup cavity and wrapped it around the bridge post.

Luckily the guitar and wire are black so you can't really see it. A bit of electrical tape would probably make it even more invisible.

• Members

Aren't those hot pickups?

So much for a low output rock guitar
:lol:

As Billy pointed out, this is simply Dimarzio's :freak: naming conventions at work. :lol:

The HFH is actually one of the lowest output humbuckers they make. The Breed is in similar output land as the Seymour Duncan Customs.

• Members

{censored}ing bitches didnt have a tunnel for the ground, so I had to drill, then pull a post, put in a ground wire, then wire it all up. Took like 3 hours haha. {censored}ing bitches haha. Anyway, got it all wired up, and it sounds and plays awesome. I put 9 gauges on there, but I think Im gonna switch it to 10s tomorrow...they feel a little loose for e flat tuning. The pickups sound good. The HFH is pretty much what I was expecting...SUPER clean. The breed is definitely lower gain and looser than EMGs, which is cool, but I think is gonna take some getting used to since Ive been rocking the EMGs for about a year lol. Its a really different feel, but I dig it, and it sounds awesome. Ill get some clips up when my pregnant wife isnt sleeping lol.

I used the Breed for awhile a few years back.. It's cool.. I played death metal on it, but also played a lot of styles with it.. I'm not sure it's the best choice in that style guitar.. But whatever..

I think a Duncan Custom would have been a better choice because it retains a tighter feel and would have some feel you get with the active pickups as far as quick pick attack..

But if you bought the pickup new and end up thinking of something else during the 30 day exchange period, consider the Norton as an option.. That'll actually feel lower output.. Because to me the Breed still has some power behind it.. Still feels high output to me..

Anyway, good luck..

and that was {censored}ty you had to drill out a tunnel because I think I've seem the same guitar, but with passives. You think they would build and prep them all the same

• Members

I used the Breed for awhile a few years back.. It's cool.. I played death metal on it, but also played a lot of styles with it.. I'm not sure it's the best choice in that style guitar.. But whatever..

I think a Duncan Custom would have been a better choice because it retains a tighter feel and would have some feel you get with the active pickups as far as quick pick attack..

But if you bought the pickup new and end up thinking of something else during the 30 day exchange period, consider the Norton as an option.. That'll actually feel lower output.. Because to me the Breed still has some power behind it.. Still feels high output to me..

Anyway, good luck..

and that was {censored}ty you had to drill out a tunnel because I think I've seem the same guitar, but with passives. You think they would build and prep them all the same

I think it's the burst finish they have that are passives, all the other colors have always been with EMGs, which is a shame because a lot of their color options are nice, but not a lot of people would go actives. How weird on ESP's logic for them to do that.

• Members

I couldn't do it. I tried passive pickups for a long time and right after the honeymoon perios I was missing the EMGs again. EMGs, love them or hate them, have a very distinctive tone and feel and it's hard to go back once you're used to them.

I agree

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyway, good luck..

I see what youre saying, but I wanted something with a little looser feel. I do like that it still has some kick to it, but its not as tight or as high ouput as the EMG...and thats what I was going for, do Im good with what I got.

I think I am going to put in some push/pull pots to split the coils of both pickups, though. I bought this thing to be as flexible for any style as possible, so why not go all the way!!

• Members

I think I am going to put in some push/pull pots to split the coils of both pickups, though. I bought this thing to be as flexible for any style as possible, so why not go all the way!!

Wire for series/parallel instead of split, you get a great clean tone in parallel and no hum! :)

• Members

Wire for series/parallel instead of split, you get a great clean tone in parallel and no hum!
:)

Oh man...now youre gonna get me all confused about things. What does series/parallel do to the pickup, electronics wise. I mean, Ive run split coils before, and I dig them, and I understand how things work electronically with them, but never heard of this series/parallel thing before...

Archived