Nietzsche

-Assy-

• Members

I read several of his books during law school, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, The Antichrist,
On the Genealogy of Morals and Beyond Good and Evil
for sure. Sadly, like law school, I remember very little about it.

VERY good {censored}, I am starting from his beginnings right now with The Birth of a Tragedy

• Members

VERY good {censored}, I am starting from his beginnings right now with
The Birth of a Tragedy

I actually love Zarathustra and found it somehow inspiring to read, which I don't think is the norm. My friends all said it was pretty much the most depressing thing they ever read.

• Members

I actually love Zarathustra and found it somehow inspiring to read, which I don't think is the norm. My friends all said it was pretty much the most depressing thing they ever read.

I haven't read it, maybe I will pick it up today. I can see finding inspiration in the despicable representation of fundamental existence. I always liked this passage

"The ecstasy of the Dionysian state, with its destruction of the customary manacles and boundaries of existence, contains, of course, for as long as it lasts a lethargic element, in which everything personally experienced in the past is immersed. Because of this gulf of oblivion, the world of everyday reality and the world of Dionysian reality separate from each other. But as soon as that daily reality comes back again into consciousness, one feels it as something disgusting. The fruit of that state is an ascetic condition, in which one denies the power of the will. In this sense the Dionysian man has similarities to Hamlet: both have had a real glimpse into the essence of things. They have understood, and it now disgusts them to act, for their action can change nothing in the eternal nature of things. They perceive as ridiculous or humiliating the fact that they are expected to set right a world which is out of joint. The knowledge kills action, for action requires a state of being in which we are covered with the veil of illusion

• Members

never really felt like nietzsche was depressing. definitely inspiring stuff, and always felt like the advice to look to yourself, your experience, and your own drive to be as much as you can be despite even terrible conditions , and that externally organized 'realities' seldom are- was good advice, and helpful.

:idk:

beyond good and evil is a survival manual for modern culture.. :D

hell-- just the idea that it's a good idea to resist systemization- but to weigh all aspects and judge situations fluidly-- and the idea that there's a difference between ethics and morals was a huge kick in the teeth to me in my 20's.

• Members

"Beyond Good and Evil" is my favorite; the anti-philosophy philosophy, with seeds of a postmodern view being laid, and the nature of human reality being questioned in the realization of the limitations of not only language, but human experience.

• Members

If you no longer believe in yourself, would you cease to exist?

Nietzsche can be interesting to read, but I have a feeling he took himself way too {censored}ing seriously.

not really if you read more. he kinda talks about the whole idea of a playful spirit all the time throughout his writing. he's way too much of a word goob and goofy poet and just a dork to take himself TOO seriously. i think he was serious as a heart attack in what he said and meant-- but you can pick up on his humor throughout a lot of his books. he's just a smart {censored}er, and his humor kinda runs dry.

• Members

not really if you read more. he kinda talks about the whole idea of a playful spirit all the time throughout his writing. he's way too much of a word goob and goofy poet and just a dork to take himself TOO seriously. i think he was serious as a heart attack in what he said and meant-- but you can pick up on his humor throughout a lot of his books. he's just a smart {censored}er, and his humor kinda runs dry.

Obviously, I shoulda included smilies. :poke:

I do think some people that have read one or two of his books (in high school or college) take him way too seriously and start worshiping him like he was some kind of god. Which tells me they're extremely small minded people, because that was pretty much the opposite of his message.

Archived