what do you guys think of this...

Rear Naked

• Members

I was about to go to medical school but I changed my mind.

Now, my buddy is trying to get me to go to optometry school.

He is offering to pay me $30,000 per year for the 4 years I'm in school...while also splitting the rent on an apartment in Houston that he will stay at 2-3 nights per week. In return, I agree to work for him for 4 years upon graduation. He will pay me $90k the first year, and $100k the 3 subsequent years.

I would take on debt from tuition of about $80-90 thousand.

Any thoughts on this?

• Members

I also will probably blow the roof off of the OAT entrance exam, and be eligible for scholarships, although I'm not aware of their magnitude.

Basically this deal would save me 120K up front, and will cost me some comparable amount during the 1st 4 years of employment, depending on how hard I work. I tend to be lazy as hell so Im using the lower end as my expected pay :lol:

He has also suggested many times that we could partner together and expand around the area. The guy is a great businessman and a friend.

Also, the 30K/year would be paid to me from his payroll, so it would obviously be taxed. Not sure what the net amount would be.

• Members

I also will probably blow the roof off of the OAT entrance exam, and be eligible for scholarships, although I'm not aware of their magnitude.

Basically this deal would save me 120K up front, and will cost me some comparable amount during the 1st 4 years of employment, depending on how hard I work. I tend to be lazy as hell so Im using the lower end as my expected pay
:lol:

He has also suggested many times that we could partner together and expand around the area. The guy is a great businessman and a friend.

Also, the 30K/year would be paid to me from his payroll, so it would obviously be taxed. Not sure what the net amount would be.

You're in texas right? They don't have income tax do they? Just federal...so around 22k

• Members

You're in texas right? They don't have income tax do they? Just federal...so around 22k

Yeah. 22k? ouch. No way...

EDIT Just looked it up.

Marginal rate is .1 for first 8700, and .15 for the rest.

Looks like net is around 26000

• Members

Are you working for the 30k while you are in school?

If not, can you supplement by working with him/somewhere else?

If you are, you have a lot more specifics to nail down before you agree.

1) No

2) Sure, but I would have to actually go to school and study, so no.

• Members

I was about to go to medical school but I changed my mind.

Now, my buddy is trying to get me to go to optometry school.

He is offering to pay me $30,000 per year for the 4 years I'm in school...while also splitting the rent on an apartment in Houston that he will stay at 2-3 nights per week. In return, I agree to work for him for 4 years upon graduation. He will pay me $90k the first year, and $100k the 3 subsequent years.

I would take on debt from tuition of about $80-90 thousand.

Any thoughts on this?

If that would work out how it sounds, it seems an exceptional deal. Hell, going to school for my BSN/RN degree, I wish someone would've helped me pay bills or given me $30k/year, let alone offered that kind of fundage afterward! :D

Archived