No announcement yet.

what do you guys think of this...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you guys think of this...

I was about to go to medical school but I changed my mind.

Now, my buddy is trying to get me to go to optometry school.

He is offering to pay me $30,000 per year for the 4 years I'm in school...while also splitting the rent on an apartment in Houston that he will stay at 2-3 nights per week. In return, I agree to work for him for 4 years upon graduation. He will pay me $90k the first year, and $100k the 3 subsequent years.

I would take on debt from tuition of about $80-90 thousand.

Any thoughts on this?

A guaranteed job on graduation?

How can you NOT?
    Good Transactions - Peavey VTM Mods Lounge
    The Legacy Of...

Comment

Absolutely should do this. Not too many people would get this kind of opportunity thrown their way.

Do you have other plans already? If not, then do this. This shouldn't even be a question.
      My project: http://www.myspace.com/humanconspiracymusic

Bogner Ecstasy 101b :: Blackstar HT5-H :: Trinity Triwatt DR103 clone (Click to view build thread)
      Bogner 4x12 :: Genz Benz 2x12 :: Homebuilt 2x12 loaded with (2) Weber FC12's for the Triwatt

Great Transactions: Skaaks, Skunx, CARRguitar, Zacman0126, theweight, heatfromcold, Ricky Bobby

Comment

Get it in writing.

Then do it.

Comment

Get it in writing.

Then do it.

Yup. Get some kind of written agreement that includes a "buy-out" as all in case the practice closes, downsizes, etc.
          Mesa/Boogie Mob

AMT Army-Lt. Colonel AnGuS

Clips (Click Me):

For Good Transactions Click Me

BRO CLUB: Member

Comment

He wants your sex. Definitely.
            PRS, Godin, Carvin, & Ibanez guitars
            Digitech GSP1101/Control 2
            Sennheiser G2 in-ear system

Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

Ya'll n****s is gay

Cheers, Lucius.

Originally Posted by BrendanO

For real. Anomaly shreds not only his balls off, but the balls off two out of every five children born after 1992.

Band
            YouTube
            Facebook

Transactions with: OceansBetweenUs, eagertokill, rbasaria, outkastin2g, jonny_toetags, Findthetone, chriscnb, and CAC

Comment

Get it in writing.

Then do it.

In a lawyer approved contract, rather. But yes.
              Originally Posted by wiseblood

I have been to jail in tijuana. Twice.

Originally Posted by isvoid

you missed him didn't you

Originally Posted by Sweep?

Sock filled with soap, hit, concussion, brain damage, body bag, car, cornfield, funeral. In that order.

Comment

I also will probably blow the roof off of the OAT entrance exam, and be eligible for scholarships, although I'm not aware of their magnitude.

Basically this deal would save me 120K up front, and will cost me some comparable amount during the 1st 4 years of employment, depending on how hard I work. I tend to be lazy as hell so Im using the lower end as my expected pay

He has also suggested many times that we could partner together and expand around the area. The guy is a great businessman and a friend.

Also, the 30K/year would be paid to me from his payroll, so it would obviously be taxed. Not sure what the net amount would be.

Comment

I also will probably blow the roof off of the OAT entrance exam, and be eligible for scholarships, although I'm not aware of their magnitude.

Basically this deal would save me 120K up front, and will cost me some comparable amount during the 1st 4 years of employment, depending on how hard I work. I tend to be lazy as hell so Im using the lower end as my expected pay

He has also suggested many times that we could partner together and expand around the area. The guy is a great businessman and a friend.

Also, the 30K/year would be paid to me from his payroll, so it would obviously be taxed. Not sure what the net amount would be.

You're in texas right? They don't have income tax do they? Just federal...so around 22k
                  My project: http://www.myspace.com/humanconspiracymusic

Bogner Ecstasy 101b :: Blackstar HT5-H :: Trinity Triwatt DR103 clone (Click to view build thread)
                  Bogner 4x12 :: Genz Benz 2x12 :: Homebuilt 2x12 loaded with (2) Weber FC12's for the Triwatt

Great Transactions: Skaaks, Skunx, CARRguitar, Zacman0126, theweight, heatfromcold, Ricky Bobby

Comment

You're in texas right? They don't have income tax do they? Just federal...so around 22k

Yeah. 22k? ouch. No way...

EDIT Just looked it up.

Marginal rate is .1 for first 8700, and .15 for the rest.

Looks like net is around 26000

Comment

Are you working for the 30k while you are in school?
                      If not, can you supplement by working with him/somewhere else?
                      If you are, you have a lot more specifics to nail down before you agree.
                      Sig: don't care enough to have oneWAIT!!! - www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Are you working for the 30k while you are in school?
                        If not, can you supplement by working with him/somewhere else?
                        If you are, you have a lot more specifics to nail down before you agree.

1) No
                        2) Sure, but I would have to actually go to school and study, so no.

Comment

Do it, but make sure you have a legit legal contract, a lot can happen in 8 years. Otherwise, get money and **************** bitches
                          VHT/Fryette DEATH SQUAD

Great deals here and on Rig-talk with: Boatshoes/smucarolina, goldwing68nv, tkozuch, chakosh, Norton666

Current whoredom: VHT Pitbull 50/CL

Past whordom: Peavey 5150 II | ENGL Steve Morse 100 | Jet City JCA20H | Mesa Boogie Mark V | Sunn 200s | Orange Thunderverb 50 | Peavey 5150 | Laney GH100L

Originally Posted by MarkBastable

You don't crap in the bidet, you colonial peasant.

Comment

He found out your user name.

RUN!
                            Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

I was about to go to medical school but I changed my mind.

Now, my buddy is trying to get me to go to optometry school.

He is offering to pay me $30,000 per year for the 4 years I'm in school...while also splitting the rent on an apartment in Houston that he will stay at 2-3 nights per week. In return, I agree to work for him for 4 years upon graduation. He will pay me $90k the first year, and $100k the 3 subsequent years.

I would take on debt from tuition of about $80-90 thousand.

Any thoughts on this?

If that would work out how it sounds, it seems an exceptional deal. Hell, going to school for my BSN/RN degree, I wish someone would've helped me pay bills or given me $30k/year, let alone offered that kind of fundage afterward!
                              __________________________________________________ ________
                              Great transactions: -Juggernaut-, Beergoblin, Boris the Blade, Guttermouth, Tubesteakfortone, thriftyshirt, craftswitch, negative theory, and dethmetalanimal

Comment

Working...
                              X