Hey Ebay guys, need some help with the negative feedback policy anymore.

diddlybo

• Members

Bought some knobs for a solid state Fender amp. They are the kind with no screws, they fit snugly the pot shafts.

Long story short, they don't fit. Contacted the seller to ask about this and his reply was, "I don't know what to tell you." Contacted him again and asked if he would contact his supplier to find out if these are supposed to fit this particular amp. That was 5 days ago. He never responded.

I contacted him again today about this and his reply was, "I can't help you on that. Sorry." At that point, i asked for a refund. He refuses, claiming that I broke the knobs.
I replied and told him I planned to leave bad feedback due to his lack of any help at all. Now he is threatening to leave bad feedback on me.

I was under the impression that sellers can no longer leave bad feedback for buyers. Am I wrong? I have a perfect ebay rating and I don't want to lose it.

What would you do?

• Members

How much were they? Sounds like it isn't worth the hassle for either of you. At least he is responding to your e-mails. I won't point out the obvious question that you did e-mail him prior to bidding to ensure they fit your amp? Cheers, Lucius

• Members

He can't leave negative feedback to you. Only buyers can leave bad feedback.

However, if you do it, you are wrong. You bought the knobs and he shipped them. It's not his fault that they don't fit your amp. You should've have made sure they fit - or least ask - BEFORE you bought them.

He shipped what he was paid for. How is it his fault?

• Members

knob and parts info is sometimes vague but it's your job to buy the right part . Does he deserve bad feedback ??? I don't think so unless his auction was misleading . Post the auction link . Having said that I would leave whatever feedback you want and not worry about retaliation , it's actually against ebay rules to use neg feedback as a threat and either party could be reported for that and perhaps even get it removed because of that .

• Members

He can't leave negative feedback to you. Only buyers can leave bad feedback.

However, if you do it, you are wrong. You bought the knobs and he shipped them. It's not his fault that they don't fit your amp. You should've have made sure they fit - or least ask - BEFORE you bought them.

He shipped what he was paid for. How is it his fault?

+1

• Members

I did all the research I could do to make sure they were the right knobs. Guess I was wrong.

I didn't ask for a refund until he was being a dickhead and refused any help at all. He basically said "{censored} you" and washed his hands of it. Actually, i don't even care about a refund.

I dunno, I bend over backwards to make sure every buyer is happy with the transaction. This guy wouldn't even take the trouble to answer simple questions. I surely can't see giving the guy good feedback.

• Members

Jesus Christ.

He shipped the {censored}ing things, what more could you ask for? Once the sale is done, it's {censored}ing done. It's your job to figure out if they work or not BEFORE you {censored}ing buy it. {censored} people are whiny these days.

• Members

I did all the research I could do to make sure they were the right knobs. Guess I was wrong.

I didn't ask for a refund until he was being a dickhead and refused any help at all. He basically said "{censored} you" and washed his hands of it. Actually, i don't even care about a refund.

I dunno, I bend over backwards to make sure every buyer is happy with the transaction. This guy wouldn't even take the trouble to answer simple questions. I surely can't see giving the guy good feedback.

he doesn't have to help you with your research.

• Members

I never said he did.

What I am talking about is basic customer service.

you don't understand how eBay works.

As a seller, he is responsible for shipping it to you in a timely manner and ensure it gets there in good condition and as described. If he did that, his job as a seller is DONE and he should get positive feedback.

Sure, it would be *nice* if he could ask his supplier etc... but that's not really something you should base your feedback on.

Things like that are precisely why I still buy from eBay from time to time but I completely stopped selling there. Buyers just abuse the feedback system and ask you to do things that are completely outside of the scope of the transaction.

Last year, I sold a pedal on eBay and for WEEKS the buyer kept me asking how to get a Gilmour tone, Petrucci tone, why it was muddying up his amp (he was using the pedal - a delay - in front of his high gain amp) etc... all while holding back to post feedback to the transaction, even though he had already received the pedal as described. I answered all his questions and he finally gave me positive feedback but what a pain in the ass that was, it was the last time I sold anything on ebay.

You paid for knobs, you got knobs. Everything else is just your self-entitlement.

But to answer your question: no he can't give you a negative and eBay most likely will side with you if you try to get a refund, so feel free to screw the guy over

:rolleyes:

• Members

If I was the seller i'd refund you, bit not everyone is so nice.

The only reason he would be obligated to do so is of the ad had a x number of days return policy. If you're within that period then I'd say you're in the right

Truth be told, i don't give a rat's ass about the refund. It was pretty much a sarcastic request after he had acted like an ass. I knew he wouldn't give me a refund and I didn't care. However, i was surprised when he claimed i had broken the knobs.

• Members

did you ever ask him BEFORE buying them?

I researched it pretty heavily before i purchased. The knobs are known as Fender Pointer knobs. As far as I could find out, fender pointer knobs only come in one size. I could find nothing to indicate there might be different sizes or versions of the knobs known as Fender Pointer knobs.

I found a guy on Ebay who sells "genuine fender" replacement parts and I bought them from him. The genuine fender knobs didn't fit. Also, they didn't come in Fender packaging and there were no markings at all to indicate this was a Fender part.

Were these in fact genuine Fender parts? Who knows? They looked right and they were almost the right size...but they didn't fit.Everybody jumping up my ass, especially Billy, is assuming he delivered the item as described in the ad. I'm not so sure.

When i asked him to check with his supplier, I wanted to know if perhaps there are different sizes of pointer knobs and if so, I would order some more. He ignored the request at first, then flat out refused. He refused to be of any help at all with further communications and gave smart ass sarcastic replies. I sent him 5 messages and he refused to be of any help every time. Just a straight up "Sorry pal, I'm not helping you."

I have still found nothing to indicate these knobs come in different sizes. I suspect these are not genuine fender replacement parts.

If I held myslef up as a dealer of "genuine Fender parts" I would try to be more helpful when my "genuine" parts did not work. IMO, these are probably not real fender parts.I sell on Ebay and i would never treat a paying customer this way.

FWIW, he has had negative feedback before. In over ten years of Ebaying, I have never left bad feedback nor received bad feedback.

but according to HCAF, I'm the asshole here.

• Members

I wouldn't say you are the asshole here...But I also wouldn't say he is either.

Look, if the ad was vague, you should have asked if these would fit your amp. Plain and simple. It's really not his fault...If they ARE, in fact, not genuine fender, and were labeled as such, that's a different issue entirely, and one you failed to mention to start with.

Bottom line, live and learn man. Just brush it off and find some new knobs. Did you try and contact Fender directly? They may be able to help you more than a random ebay seller :idk:

Archived