Yo. Cabs. School me.

xrleroyx

• Members

I run through a '71 Super Lead 100. I'm looking for a cab to pair it with. I have a fairly limited budget, around 300. If I need to increase, I can sell some gear or save. Don't mind buying used. What do you all think? I play indie rock (think modest mouse and the arctic monkeys) and jazz.

Got a line on a used Avatar 4x12 with Eminence 125's for $300.

Just sent an e-mail about a Marshall Mode 4 for $400.

Have a line on a vintage Fender Bandmaster for $300.

Anything else I should look for? What else should I look for?

• Members

This. You just don't pair a '71 Marshall with anything but a minimum of four Greenbacks.

It doesn't look like you pair a Marshall with anything. There are lots of nice options for running old Marshalls.

I run mine with G12h30's, and they also sound good with g12t75's, JBL's, CL80's, and the 65's.

• Members

You probably wont find a greenback loaded cab for $300 but its a good match if you can find it. I love G12t-75's with Marshalls so that would be what I would be looking for.

If you put up an add in craigslist asking for a g12t-75, v30 or a greenback cab for $300, I am sure you will get plenty of people offering you a deal. It's a buyers market. Just be careful with muggers etc, haha.

For Jazz I would probably lean towards a cab with these:

http://wgs4.com/content/Reaper

• Members

You probably wont find a greenback loaded cab for $300 but its a good match if you can find it. I love G12t-75's with Marshalls so that would be what I would be looking for.

this

finding a Marshall 1960 with stock 75's for $300 is pretty easy to do.

• Members

Mode four cabs are bad ass. A Mode Four cab is 3 inches taller than a standard 1960 cab. It also has a plywood back panel. A Mode four top cab is the same thing as a 1960TV cab, but has corners on it, diffrent tolex, diffrent grill & logo. . The cab itself is the same & way cheaper.

You could re-grille the Mode Four & put a small logo on it for a vintage look to match your head, if youre into cosmetics.

as for cabs in general,
if you're a rythm player, go for a straight front cab. Top cabs (to my ears) dont sound as good as a bottom cab, and lack punch / bass / resonance that a bottom cab has . Angled cabs have a split front baffle, and less air space. The opposite on a straight cab.

• Members

I play in a three piece and have to fill in as much as I can for it. I think I might rock this Avatar cab if I can sell my Gryphon. It's seriously impossible to sell anything in Detroit, it's listed WELL below what it should be and includes duncans and a case. People only want to trade.

Archived