Marshall 1960 or Orange PPC412 for a Bogner Ecstasy?

Brown Rug

• Members

With a darker sounding amp like the Ecstasy, would either choice be OK? I was leaning towards the Orange but I was told it was a bright sounding cab, would that balance the sound or make it worse? Sorry, I am completely confused as to what cabs work well together and what doesn't =/

• Members

With a darker sounding amp like the Ecstasy, would either choice be OK? I was leaning towards the Orange but I was told it was a bright sounding cab, would that balance the sound or make it worse? Sorry, I am completely confused as to what cabs work well together and what doesn't =/

Just curious... how in the hell do you find the Ecstasy dark sounding... :lol:. I find it to be one of the brighter amps I've owned, especially with my Suhr. Are you using any of the bright switches on the front panel? PS: I'm using a Port City 2x12 with V30s and love it... might be a good choice to look into! :thu:

W.

• Members

yeah, with the exception of the uber, every Bogner I've ever played was on the bright side...of course I've never played an xtc

Yeah... The Ecstasy is definitely voiced for that bright Marshall-y sound IMHO. It's chewier and it has more low end, but it's still inherently bright. Not a bad thing... but you just have to get used to it.

W.

• Members

Remember, lots of low end =/= dark.

The construction on the Orange is much better. Heavy ply all throughout, it's also quite a bit deeper. They're freaking tanks (handles/corners/etc all higher quality).

Other than that, the speaker compliment. Also, Orange cabs are wired 16 ohm mono, the marshall will have all the extra input options (8 ohm stereo and 4 ohm mono + 16 ohm mono)

• Members

Both.

The difference is that the Marshall cab has G12t-75s in it and the Orange has Vintage 30s.

The Bogner cabs come with a mix of the two

I'd buy a used Marshall cab and then sell two of the G12s and buy 2 V30s.

That's not 100% accurate. The standard Bogner cab comes loaded with V30s. The Uberkab is the one that comes with 75/30's in an X pattern.

http://www.bogneramplification.com/customshop/4x12Info.php

• Members

I'm not a fan of the 75s that come in 95% of Marshall cabs. If you can find an AV/BV cab (loaded with V30s), those would be a good option for a lower price than the Orange, but the Orange is a much better cab overall as previously mentioned. Some people describe Orange cabs as "dark", which I attribute to the fact that they have a huge goddamned low end because of their size and the lack of casters letting the vibrations go straight into the ground. They're also the heaviest cab I've ever had to lug around, but they're well worth it the back pain.

• Members

Correct. Marshall's can have something other than 75's as well although its the most common. The Orange can also have G12K100s.

The thunderverb cab does have g12k100s.

Also, if you find an anniversary cab, those came loaded with g12h30s

• Members

I'm a big fan of the Marshall 1960a, i think its a great cab. People often say its really scooped and harsh, but i never hear that, i just hear a lot of power and definition.

Orange cabs i always find to be very directional and a bit brittle in the top end, thats a characteristic of their build rather than the speakers used.

I'd personally go for a Marshall cab with a Bogner. I've found the three Ecstacy models i've tried ( 101b x2, 20th anniversary) to be pretty darkly voiced, a bit like a blanket has been thrown over the cab, i think the 75's would help bring it out a bit more.

• Members

Remember, lots of low end =/= dark.

The construction on the Orange is much better. Heavy ply all throughout, it's also quite a bit deeper. They're freaking tanks (handles/corners/etc all higher quality).

Other than that, the speaker compliment. Also, Orange cabs are wired 16 ohm mono, the marshall will have all the extra input options (8 ohm stereo and 4 ohm mono + 16 ohm mono)

I still prefer the 1960 to the pp412, even though I definitely agree the Orange is built better. That said, I think it's overkill and unnecessary for the most part as they're both more than up to par for any situation. The Marshall cab is still built very well, and with the exception of the PCB used for the switching options (Norton has mentioned burning up a few of them now) they are the industry standard for a reason. The 1960 seems a bit more lively to me, and really open sounding regardless of the speakers used. Orange cabs always feel stiff and super directional. I don't have a ton of experience with the ppc412 though, so it could simply be another case of me hating V30's, which all orange cabs I have played were loaded with.

just can't deny the Orange is built to withstand a war.

• Members

I don't personally like the sound of T75s by themselves, but when I used my buddy's 1906A cab in a full stack with my V30 loaded Voltage cab, it was modern metal heaven. I didn't switch both speakers into one cab, but I have also played an Uberkab and it was very comparable in terms of tone.

One doesn't necessarily work better than the other. I really like the sound of V30s by themselves, but T75s, not so much. That's my taste for my style, so I can't say the same thing for you. Judging by the fact that you're getting an Ecstasy, you're probably more into rock than high-gain, which would make Greenbacks a great option as well. As Dolf mentioned, ET-65s are a good option too, but I've heard they're a little wooly for some people.

Unless you're buying used Celestions, Weber speakers are outstanding as well and about the same price. Some 30oz. magnet Legacy's would be my overall recommendation with GBs in a close second.

Orange cabs are built better. Here's a picture of a couple after a tornado:

IMG_6755.jpg

• Members

Ok -- In my experience the Orange cabs are on the darker side and more directional. Not a bad thing at all depending on the type of tones you're going for. The Marshall 1960a will definitely be brighter (G12T75's). Both are good cabs. Also, the regular XTC 101's that I've played through were darker,...not bright at all. They can be dialed in to be brighter but I wouldn't call it a bright amp -- The XTC 20th Anny I played through was brighter.

XTC's and Shiva's work with V30's -- I've not heard them through 75's

Archived