JCM2000 DSL100 for brootz?

gt_jumper

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Will do heavy stuff well, but just Needs a boost (Not tight enough with out)

Get a Bad Monkey/Tube screamer type

These amps are "very" bright, i reccomend to start

Red Channel: OD 1 Gain 5-7 or OD 2 Gain 2-3 (OD 2 is unuseable with gain above 5 even boosted)

Precense: 3

Treble: 3

Mids: 5-7

Bass: 5

Leave "Mid cut" and "Deep" buttons off.

Master hits sweet spot at around "4"

Some like the Green channel boosted better (Same settings as above, just roll back Bass to around 2)

EQ in the loop adds nice extra punch, and Greenbacks FTW

• Members

Will do heavy stuff well, but just Needs a boost
(Not tight enough with out)

Red Channel: OD 1 Gain 5-7 or OD 2 Gain 2-3
(OD 2 is unuseable with gain above 5 even boosted)

Some like the Green channel boosted better
(Same settings as above, just roll back Bass to around 2)

Good to know man, cheers.

• Members

Will do heavy stuff well, but just Needs a boost
(Not tight enough with out)

Red Channel: OD 1 Gain 5-7 or OD 2 Gain 2-3
(OD 2 is unuseable with gain above 5 even boosted)

Some like the Green channel boosted better
(Same settings as above, just roll back Bass to around 2)

Lead 2 is NOT unusable.

[video=youtube;2IsnPCE7dx4]

• Members

Hatebreed uses the TSL. Scott Ian used to use these right before he switched to Randall. Scott Boosted his with a T.C. Electronic Distortion/Booster and his tech which later became the guitar player in Powerman 5000 used one and boosted it the exact same way with the same settings as Mr. Anthrax.

• Members

I have a DSL100. Never needed a boost to get a heavy tone. Just volume!

I think a lot of the "Marshalls can't do metal" mudslinging comes from the fact that Marshalls don't forgive bad technique. Their inherent midrange that makes one's playing stand out is hard to mask even with the Mid knob scooped. Just ask Nile when they bust out a guitar solo! :lol:

Nile rules btw. Just not their solos.

• Members

^idk man...Tecnique or not...You put an unboosted Marshall next to a real metal amp like a 6505 or XXX and it's a no brainer. Idc how good/bad your tecnique is.

I gotta disagree. I had a 5150 II and, IMO, the DSL has no trouble keeping up with it for the heavy stuff.

• Members

^idk man...Tecnique or not...You put an unboosted Marshall next to a real metal amp like a 6505 or XXX and it's a no brainer. Idc how good/bad your tecnique is.

As someone who returned to Marshalls after flirting with a XXX for a good 4 years, I could hear my slop a lot more after switching back. I am not one to claim to be a shred god. In fact, I am FAR from one, but playing an amp that isn't so over-saturated with gain lit a fire under my ass to practice more.

For the record, 5150/6505 are good amps. XXX ain't bad either, but the active EQ was a nightmare for me.

• Members

some of the most brutal live tones ive ever heard have been DSL's. as ive said many times before, i think the "marshalls cant do metal" thing i hear all the time around here is the dumbest thing ive ever heard

+1000 x infinity

• Members

As someone who returned to Marshalls after flirting with a XXX for a good 4 years, I could hear my slop a lot more after switching back. I am not one to claim to be a shred god. In fact, I am FAR from one, but playing an amp that isn't so over-saturated with gain lit a fire under my ass to practice more.

For the record, 5150/6505 are good amps. XXX ain't bad either, but the active EQ was a nightmare for me.

And for the record here also...I don't think Marshalls are bad amps. It's just not my first choice for metal. I am also not talking about main stream metal as in bands like say Disturbed. The stuff I am into is more on the lines of August Burns Red...Which lets be honest here..An unboosted DSL does not have the gain (unboosted) or sustain to pull off tones like that.

• Members

Why did you keep it for so long?

A lot of issues really. I was having money issues at the time so I couldn't really buy anything else. Also I am really not much of the selling type of person.

Also at the time my band started out as like Indie rock/metal type thing which I though the DSL sounded ok doing. My other guitarist was using a crappy Line 6 spider anyways so obviously the Marshall sounded better. Then we ended up kicking that dude out. Our next guitarist was playing a 6505+ which totally blew the Marshall away. I even had the Marshall retubed thinking that would solve the problem...But even after a retube/bias it still sounded like dog {censored} next to the Peavey.

Archived