KT66's...give me the lowdown

KCTigerChief

• Members

Ok, I'm going to grab some KT66's to throw into the Triwatt to up the output to 40 watts...I need to know something...

I've heard that some KT66's are actually just 6L6's in a different bottle. I don't want that. I want legit KT66's.

I've heard Gold Lions may be good, anyone with experience here? :wave:

• Members

I use Gold Lion KT66's in my engl. Sounds great. I don't know anything about whether they're true KT66's or not. I'd guess them to be, but IDK.

Thanks for the input man. Do you have any tone remarks about them? I've heard KT66's are kind of dark by nature...Which isn't a problem, because the Triwatt can be pretty bright. Was just wondering how you liked the tone of them!

• Members

Thanks for the input man. Do you have any tone remarks about them? I've heard KT66's are kind of dark by nature...Which isn't a problem, because the Triwatt can be pretty bright. Was just wondering how you liked the tone of them!

Kinda hard to say cause I changed some of the preamp tubes at the same time, so I don't know which ones had the most effect. But, one of the reasons I wanted to swap out the stock tubes was that the amp was harsh and trebly. There was a huge difference. I don't know if I'd say it's darker, but it might be. It's definitely warmer and bigger sounding.

• Members

Kinda hard to say cause I changed some of the preamp tubes at the same time, so I don't know which ones had the most effect. But, one of the reasons I wanted to swap out the stock tubes was that the amp was harsh and trebly. There was a huge difference. I don't know if I'd say it's darker, but it might be. It's definitely warmer and bigger sounding.

What was in it before?

Warmer and bigger sounds like what I would expect from the jump to KT66's from 6V6's...Also, I feel like it would really push this Triwatt over the top. I'm worried though, because it does sound great with the 6v6's...

I need to see what Laura charges for the Gold Lions...won't know unless I try :)

• Members

make sure your PT can handle the higher heater current.

Gold Lion's are supposed to be some of the best right now.

I just got a matched set (should have went to Laura), but I didn't.

Ordered from Tubestore - first 'matched' set was way out of matching.

Sent them back - they tested, confirmed, and sent me a new set.

Still not really happy with how they are matched, but I am not sending them back again.

I won't buy from them again.

• Members

make sure your PT can handle the higher heater current.

Gold Lion's are supposed to be some of the best right now.

I just got a matched set (should have went to Laura), but I didn't.

Ordered from Tubestore - first 'matched' set was way out of matching.

Sent them back - they tested, confirmed, and sent me a new set.

Still not really happy with how they are matched, but I am not sending them back again.

I won't buy from them again.

I just sent her an email actually.

And the Triwatt is designed to use 6v6's OR KT66's via a bias switch. The PT is actually designed around the vintage 50 watt Partridge transformers of the 50 watt Hiwatts...It will handle them just fine :)

• Members

What was in it before?

Warmer and bigger sounds like what I would expect from the jump to KT66's from 6V6's...Also, I feel like it would really push this Triwatt over the top. I'm worried though, because it does sound great with the 6v6's...

I need to see what Laura charges for the Gold Lions...won't know unless I try
:)

It had 5881 tubes before. I talked to someone over at Engl before doing it to be sure it would be straight. FWIW, I was considering selling my engl when I did the swap because of the harshness, but after the swap, it was like a different amp. It really surprised me how big a difference it made. YMMV, obviously.

Laura actually didn't have the gold lions when I checked, so I got mine from Doug's Tubes. I would have preferred going through Laura, but I can't say anything bad about Doug. I explained what I was trying to do, and he was really helpful.

• Members

Do it and report! Also, how loud is it with the 6V6s compared to other amps you've played? Saw some guy say the other day that his Triwatt with KT66s was just about as loud as his DR 504! :eek: Almost hard to believe.

I'm back to wanting to build a Triwatt the past week... :lol:

• Members

A friend has some gold lion KT66's in his Metroamp JTM 100. No problems in the past couple years he's owned it & it gets played regular. I like the sound of it, but I dont know if its the JTM / JMP difference I hear, or the KT66 / EL34 difference.

Ive been tempted to try them in my 12xxx Superbass.

I'd like to hear some NOS KT66's, but thats not gonna happen (unless its on a recording)

• Members

My KT66 experience; They are almost a blend of a 6L6, with the creamy goodness of an EL34. The low end is a bit fuller than a 6L6, and the midrange seems smooter. Breakup on a KT66 is fantastic. In my mind, they are what a 6L6 should sound like. To be fair, i havent played the wigned C and TAD 6L6's which are supposed to be what 6L6's were before the cheaper stuff came out.

Get a pair of Gold lion or chibese KT66, and a pair of TAD's or =C=, and see which one sounds better to you..

• Members

Tung sol KT66s are not real KT66s. Stay away from those.

I've been using Gold Lions since they came out a couple years ago.

They sound good to the point I have no curiosity in trying anything else.

BTW I use a Dr Z Route 66.

• Members

Do it and report! Also, how loud is it with the 6V6s compared to other amps you've played? Saw some guy say the other day that his Triwatt with KT66s was just about as loud as his DR 504!
:eek:
Almost hard to believe.

I'm back to wanting to build a Triwatt the past week...
:lol:

I'll definitely report man.

I mean, it's pretty freaking loud as it is right now...But it's only 20 watts. With KT66's it goes up to 40 (44 to be technical, I think), which is actually why I'm not surprised to hear it's about as loud as the DR504...I do believe that is what the transformers are actually designed around :)

Archived