My Ultra Plus arrived today!

soc_monki

• Members

and UPS raped the box. and it wasnt packed well either. hole ripped in the box, amp laying on its back. Reverb tank was literally ripped from the top of the enclosure! i pulled it because, honestly, i dont use Reverb anyway. so i plug it in and fire it up...all tubes are fine, everything is working. i flip the standby and there is a terrible hum. amp plays fine, sounds good, just hums LOUDLY. so i did a search and it seems the cable connectors in the amp seem to like to come loose and cause it to hum. so i pull the chassis and this thing is CLEAN inside. i doubt this thing ever ever left someones house. little dusty, tolex is rough in some places, but the board and everything inside is squeaky clean. so i check all the connections and some of them were indeed a bit loose. so i put it back on my cab and plug it back in and fire it up and...

hum is gone! well, not completely...but its the same as my old 5150. just the normal high gain fuzz when youre not playing. sweet! kinda feels like home, especially since the volume for the clean channel pot is broken off. i can still use it so no biggie, i can replace it later or not. resonance switch is a little iffy, kinda loose feeling. also an easy fix. tubes look new, EH 6L6's and EH preamp. this thing definitely seems to be biased hotter than the old 5150. the tubes are noticeably brighter and exhibit a bluish glow when standby is off. i looked this up and saw this wasnt an issue...ive just never seen it. anyone care to comment?

thing sounds awesome though. can only play on the ultra and clean channels (no footswitch...) but i can remedy that. there are switches available online, so ill find one. or if someone has one they dont need? :rock:

overall, im happy. going to give it a few days and see how it reacts but initial first impression is awesome! so much gain on the ultra channel...im running it around 3.5, with the boost switch engaged. really reminds me of my 5150, although there is no presence control. 300 bucks was a steal! glad UPS didnt totally destroy it with the way the box looked. but its a Peavey, and my 5150 went through hell (including a car wreck) and survived. tanks they are.

• Members

i hear what youre talking about. i hate to say this...my Single Recto is awesome but i dont think it can compare. i love it, it has tons of awesome tones, except for a good lead tone IMO. even on Vintage with a good dose of mids it just doesnt feel right. awesome for rhythms, nice and thick. the Ultra though...awesome rhythms AND leads just on the Ultra channel. i hate i dont have a footswitch, i want to use the Crunch channel for a less gainy rhythm and then jump to Ultra for leads. i know everyone says this is the Rockmaster in head form (or the Rockmaster is the Ultra in a preamp) and i believe it. they sound pretty much identical from what i remember. used the Rockmaster through my 5150's FX loop and it was monstrous. this is the same.

love it. now i need to get my Rockmaster fixed, get a nice power amp to run it through (going to retube my Peavey Classic 120 and see if that does it...it does have 20 something year old tubes!) and sell the Recto, possibly to my boss who had his Dual Recto stolen. he expressed interest, and even though i dig it big time for big, chunky rhythms, it wont get much use.

• Members

talking about the power or preamp? the amp is upside down right now, i was checking connections and everything. on the back is a plate that comes off so you can get the preamp tubes out, just like a 5150 (and probably XXX and JSX). theyre not hard to get a hold of at all.

Archived