Random OT: iPod shuffle is horses**t!!

Soundstorm

• Members

How can a computer choose at random? It must be programmed to play songs in a pattern that appears random. I base this conclusion on no significant knowledge of computers and their inner workings. But is it just me? I listen to my iPod 11-12 hours a day and I notice a pattern. It'll play the same couple songs off each album. Sometimes when I pick an album to listen to in full ill realize I haven't heard some of the songs ever pop up on shuffle.

:confused:

• Members

It's called a lookup table and you are correct that for computers, there is no such thing as random. It's the same reason I believe I've never been called for jury duty but people I know who's last names begin near the middle of the alphabet get called often.

The only way to make computers be random is to have some kind of external input that measures the decay of radioactive materials or the time between human keystrokes. It's called entropy generation.

The iPod Shuffle does not have this feature.

• Members

How can a computer choose at random? It must be programmed to play songs in a pattern that appears random. I base this conclusion on no significant knowledge of computers and their inner workings. But is it just me? I listen to my iPod 11-12 hours a day and I notice a pattern. It'll play the same couple songs off each album. Sometimes when I pick an album to listen to in full ill realize I haven't heard some of the songs ever pop up on shuffle.

:confused:

I've never had this issue. I have a playlist in every iPod unit I own, and it had never repeated a song ever on Shuffle mode.

Then again, I never use just the Shuffle button on the iPods front screen, just because some songs are in some of the artists' greatest hits or in a compilation. I only use the Shuffle mode on the Settings menu, where I can select Album or Songs (I pick the latter) and select Repeat on either One or All (All of course!).

• Members

It's called a lookup table and you are correct that for computers, there is no such thing as random. It's the same reason I believe I've never been called for jury duty but people I know who's last names begin near the middle of the alphabet get called often.

The only way to make computers be random is to have some kind of external input that measures the decay of radioactive materials or the time between human keystrokes. It's called entropy generation.

The iPod Shuffle does not have this feature.

Very unlikely to be implemented as a lookup table. Common PRNG algorithms are better in almost every way...

Archived