Anyone here use (or have used) a BBE Sonic Stomp / Sonic Maximizer ??

codecontra

• Members

They seem to be really well reviewed on most of the music sites. Thinking about picking one up, just not really sure what the hell the thing does. Anyone here have one or any experience with one?

Plus the new design looks pretty damn sexy.

4sgty1.jpg

• Members

Had a maximizer for a long time. Ultimately, unless you're playing industrial music it's really just a waste of money for guitar.

All it does, really is brighten and increase treble and bass frequencies.

• Members

Ive had a sonic stomp for a few years. Don't really use it now but I keep it as a turd polisher for when I'm running a lot of cable/stomps.

IIRC it phase corrects certain frequency bands to add back the presence and bass that can be lost when you have a complicated circuit ie. lots of pedals and a complex preamp. Something like that anyway.

If you just want to boost frequency bands then an EQ might be a better option.

• Members

Worst {censored}ing thing you can do to your amp. Donegan from Disturbed uses one and his live tone is the shrillest, least audible {censored}ing metal tone I've ever heard.

In small doses, however, BBE sonic maximizer plugins can make your mixes sound like a blanket has been lifted off your speakers, i {censored} you not.

• Members

What it claims to fix is "envelope distortion". What envelope distortion is is how different frequencies reach your ears at different times due to the way speaker technology works. As you can already see many don't like it for electric guitar. Electric guitar was originally a failed experiment at amplifying acoustics, but people used them because they had a good sound all their own. Envelope distortion has always been a part of that sound, so why fix what's not broken?

However, the few acoustic players I know that have tried it in their rigs loved it. The purpose of an acoustic rig is to get a reasonable approximation of the unplugged sound. Since their is no envelope distortion when unplugged, it makes sense acoustic players would like the sonic maximizer.

• Members

What it claims to fix is "envelope distortion". What envelope distortion is is how different frequencies reach your ears at different times due to the way speaker technology works. As you can already see many don't like it for electric guitar. Electric guitar was originally a failed experiment at amplifying acoustics, but people used them because they had a good sound all their own. Envelope distortion has always been a part of that sound, so why fix what's not broken?

However, the few acoustic players I know that have tried it in their rigs loved it. The purpose of an acoustic rig is to get a reasonable approximation of the unplugged sound. Since their is no envelope distortion when unplugged, it makes sense acoustic players would like the sonic maximizer.

Agreed. They work well on acoustic, bass, and vocals. Guitar, especially distorted, is a big no-no IMO.

• Members

Not really a fan of the Sonic Maximizer, but an Aphex Xciter is good for getting a big amp to sound more full at low volumes. Doesnt sound "plastic" like a BBE and is easier to get it set to a more "subtle" setting. The version made for Basses sounds better than the one made for guitar. Also works good for running a NMV amp with a dirt pedal at low volumes. Takes a bit to get it dialed in so it doesnt sound like just one big bass & treble boost. With the Aphex, a little goes a long way. The Aphex Xciter is a good tool to have if youre into doomy-kinda sh*t.

• Members

You will get much better results by using a quality parametric EQ through your loop than using these sonic maximizers.

I actually like the BBE stuff, it's good quality, just not for electric guitar, but I use the BBE plug-in quite a bit on my mixes/masterings with good results.

Archived