Fender Tube Amps

kman8898

• Members

What are your thoughts? I currently have a sucky Fender Frontman that i can't wait to drop out of a window, but unfortunately it's my only amp right now. I've been looking at all different types of Fender tube amps, and I've decided that I'm just going to prowl around on eBay and Craiglist until i see any of the following amps for a decent price: Hot Rod Deluxe iii, Hot Rod DeVille (212 or 410, doesn't matter), Blues Deluxe Reissue, or Blues DeVille reissue. Obviously, the blues reissues are going to be a better (and more expensive amp), but what do you guys prefer? What are they key differences between the amps? Anyone have experience with any of the four? Anything is appreciated, and I play mainly classic rocks, if that helps at all. thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When I decided to buy my first tube amp I decided I would start with a Fender. I played scores, new, used, and vintage. Do this. Play as many new, used, and vintage Fenders as you can. I wound up with a 1966 Pro Reverb and it's a beautiful amp. There's plenty of affordable options when it comes to Fender tube amps. Just plug in and LISTEN :whisper:

• Members

I have not had experience with any of the amps listed in the OP. Sorry. But I currently play a silverface Bandmaster Reverb and a silverface Bassman Ten. I have also owned a mid-90's Prosonic. I wish I had never sold that Prosonic. Fantastic amplifier. All the points made above about Fender cleans, reverb, and ability to take pedals are absolutely true. You typically won't find a huge crunch on a Fender amp (aside from Prosonics, Supersonics, etc.), but you can get any distorted sound you want from a pedal anyway.

• Members

What are your thoughts? I currently have a sucky Fender Frontman that i can't wait to drop out of a window, but unfortunately it's my only amp right now. I've been looking at all different types of Fender tube amps, and I've decided that I'm just going to prowl around on eBay and Craiglist until i see any of the following amps for a decent price: Hot Rod Deluxe iii, Hot Rod DeVille (212 or 410, doesn't matter), Blues Deluxe Reissue, or Blues DeVille reissue. Obviously, the blues reissues are going to be a better (and more expensive amp), but what do you guys prefer? What are they key differences between the amps? Anyone have experience with any of the four? Anything is appreciated, and I play mainly classic rocks, if that helps at all. thanks

The Hot Rods are decent amp, but I don't like the overdrive channels. The cleans are really good though, especially after a speaker upgrade.

However, there are better options out there. I would look into an older silverface Twin or Deluxe (depending how much power you need) or even a reissue Twin or Deluxe. These are much better options than the Hot Rod series.

The Blues Deluxe series is cool, better than the Hot Rod IMHO, but I would still prefer the options above.

• Members

Billy is correct

The Hot Rods are decent amp, but I don't like the overdrive channels. The cleans are really good though, especially after a speaker upgrade.

However, there are better options out there. I would look into an older silverface Twin or Deluxe (depending how much power you need) or even a reissue Twin or Deluxe. These are much better options than the Hot Rod series.

The Blues Deluxe series is cool, better than the Hot Rod IMHO, but I would still prefer the options above.

• Members

The main reason i can't stand my frontman is the gain channel. When playing at low volumes, it's fine, but when i'm playing at gig level and need to dial in some distortion, it sounds more like a a bunch of hoarse men being killed instead of anything remotely musical. I can never get enough bass on the drive channel either. Also, mine starts breaking up on the clean channel when i go past about 5 on the volume. Yeah, it's a fine starter/practice amp, but it just doesn't have the tone of a better quality amp, and they aren't built that well. It seems like my issue with the clean channel breaking up is fairly common, and there are plenty more known issues with them. I tried a friend's Blues DeVille 410 the other day and fell in love.

And billy, I always thought that the Twin and Deluxe were just way up there, price-wise. Would I be looking at spending a significantly larger amount on an older, used Deluxe than on a Blues reissue from the same time period? Does the Deluxe Reverb reissue sound pretty similar to the original?

• Members

All those amps would be good for blues/classic rock stuff. Unless you're playing a pretty big place, the Blues Deville or Hot Rod Deville might be too much. One amp that you didn't mention that I heard a guy using one night at a small club was a Vibrolux Reissue (If I recall correctly). It had two tens in it, and he had a beautiful tone going.

• Members

The main reason i can't stand my frontman is the gain channel. When playing at low volumes, it's fine, but when i'm playing at gig level and need to dial in some distortion, it sounds more like a a bunch of hoarse men being killed instead of anything remotely musical. I can never get enough bass on the drive channel either. Also, mine starts breaking up on the clean channel when i go past about 5 on the volume. Yeah, it's a fine starter/practice amp, but it just doesn't have the tone of a better quality amp, and they aren't built that well. It seems like my issue with the clean channel breaking up is fairly common, and there are plenty more known issues with them. I tried a friend's Blues DeVille 410 the other day and fell in love.

And billy, I always thought that the Twin and Deluxe were just way up there, price-wise. Would I be looking at spending a significantly larger amount on an older, used Deluxe than on a Blues reissue from the same time period? Does the Deluxe Reverb reissue sound pretty similar to the original?

The silverfaces are not too expensive, you can find a bunch of them for about 500-700. The Deluxe Reverb reissue sounds really good. It's impossible to say if it sounds like the original, because the originals today have years of wear in the speakers, transformers etc.. which changes the tone a bit, sometimes for the better. But they're great sounding amps nonetheless.

I would suggest you stick with your amp for a bit longer and keep saving and looking for a good deal on one of these amps, that way you only have to upgrade ONCE and you will save money in the long run.

• Members

I would suggest you stick with your amp for a bit longer and keep saving and looking for a good deal on one of these amps, that way you only have to upgrade ONCE and you will save money in the long run.

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. As of right now, I'm borrowing an Ultra Chorus for when my 1x12 won't suffice, so I'm in no hurry. I'm always keeping an eye out for deals on eBay and Craigslist and the like. I just needed to get an idea of what I should be looking for, and everybody here has helped a lot. Thanks to everyone who replied, this forum rocks! :)

• Members

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. As of right now, I'm borrowing an Ultra Chorus for when my 1x12 won't suffice, so I'm in no hurry. I'm always keeping an eye out for deals on eBay and Craigslist and the like. I just needed to get an idea of what I should be looking for, and everybody here has helped a lot. Thanks to everyone who replied, this forum rocks! :)

• Members

Really? Like realllllllly?

They're easily the worst practice amps out there.

I had a FM15 that sounded like ratty ass

thanks for saying that for me. i wanted to reply but didn't know how to, and his post was incongruous with his member status, which apparently means nothing..

• Members

Deluxes Super Reverbs are pricey, but deals abound for the less popular ones, Vibrolux, Pro Reverb, Twin reverb (big and heavy) , Bandmaster and Dual Showman Reverb.

I gotta say that if you like that big bell Twin sound but want a little bit of overdrive and grind that the Pro Reverb is an awesome way to go :thu:

• Members

are the member statuses based on age or number of posts or what? Why do some just say "member" or "junior member" but some look like they've been edited by the user? Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I'm a complete noob when it comes to forums :p

• Members

are the member statuses based on age or number of posts or what? Why do some just say "member" or "junior member" but some look like they've been edited by the user? Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I'm a complete noob when it comes to forums
:p

you status changes after you post xyz amount of posts. Then, when you've proven that you REALLY have no life and have oodles of posts Harmony Central allows you to write your own member status. It's something we all aim for, and only the most pathetic of us have accomplished it. :lol:

• Members

All suggestions are good. There is nothing wrong with the Hot Rod Deluxes though. The cleans are very good for an amp of it's price range. Buy a good distortion pedal that fits your classic rock needs and you'll be fine. Overdrive channels on most Fender amps are not very good. You may also want to look into a Peavey Classic 30 or a Classic 50. They do cleans pretty well and have a great classic rock overdrive channel and can be had for the same price. Getting a Peavey Classic is what I would really suggest to you unless your really set on Fender cleans.

• Members

Which Frontman do you have? I agree the onboard distortion is lousy but the clean channel is fine. Throw a distortion pedal in front of it, upgrade the speaker, and you could buy some time.

Fender makes good stuff... that's a good plan there to save up and go try them out and get something.