I want a new recording interface. I can haz suggestions?

diocide

• Members

So I've been using my Edirol 2 channel audio interface forever, and it's about time I think I moved on to something a little better.

Basically, I really want to have atleast 6 XLR inputs, because I'm starting to record drums, and it'll be a lot easier this way. It will be used primarily with Garageband.

I've had my eye on the Zoom R16 Linky and I really like it because I can use it as a stand alone recorder, in addition to the regular interface. This would save me a lot of time, because I could load a scratch track on there, bring the thing downstairs, record some drums/guitar/vocals wherever I'm most comfortable, and then throw that back onto my computer. Seems like a win win.

Is there anything else I should be looking at in this price range? I'm an amateur recording engineer at best, so while I don't want the cheapest thing possible, I don't need something crazy expensive.

So whatcha got?

• Members

Haha, that Zoom looks kinda awesome. There is no way you will beat that amount of flexibility for cheaper than that.

Keep in mind if one band member has a laptop, you can just take whatever interface with you. That way you will have better quality pre's than the Zoom.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 is perfect for you. Price, inputs and quality. I ran into compatibility issues with mine, but that was more because I had a strange setup which turned out to be daw/software/vst issues.

Loop will hook you up for less than $250 shipped.

saffire14.jpg

• Members

Ugh, I hate presonus stuff. Id go with something focusrite-y.

Care to elaborate? :lol: I owned a Firestudio Project and now use an RME Fireface 800. Except for more hardware in and outs I really don't hear a huge difference. I could make some great sounding {censored} on either. Honestly I only upgraded to the RME so I could use my API 2500 and Distressors at the same time.

• Members

I have the R-16 and it is awesome as a standalone recorder. While I know you can use it as an interface to a DAW it has limitations like it can only transfer at 44.1...or maybe it's number of simultaneous tracks. As a standalone it can do 48khz and 8 tracks simultaneous.

For an interface I like my Tascam US-2000 (can be had for $300)

Archived