What's your musical cycle?

nightflameauto

• Members

I'm sure we've all got one.

I'm a mostly metal guy. As I've aged though I've started to pick up a pattern in my musical leanings/listenings. Especially since I first started riding a motorcycle during the summers. Not sure WHY that had such an impact, but it did. Basically, through the fall and winter, I listen to and play the heavies, peaking sometimes during late spring. Once the bike comes out I start to slide a bit out of the heavies towards more mellow, peaceful stuff. About this time every year I wanna sell all my gear and use the money to buy a tele and an old fendery clean amp and sit in the back yard singing and playin' bl00zacky stuff all the way down to old-style folk tunes or even more mellow stuff. And I catch myself flipping to the smoother side of my music collection when I listen.

So what type of musical cycle do you have?

• Members

I've been and always will be stuck in the 1975-1995 era Boston Alt/underground rock scene. I branch out to other areas from time to time. But it never lasts and I always come back to a handful of bands that I never, ever tire of.

• Members

I don't know if I have one. I play hard rock and most of what I play is my own band's material. I also have another group of guys (same bass player, different drummer and singer) that get together from time to time to jam on blues/classic rock covers but we do it very loosely, basically just improvising over the song's structure. Years ago, I recorded a whole album of guitar instrumentals but never released it or gigged to support it. I also helped a friend's church when my son was too small for me to leave him with somebody to gig etc..so I had to find a gig he could come along and that was it.

So my cycle is whatever the project I am working at needs. I don't really play by myself much and when I do it's mostly songwriting or just straight up practicing scales and {censored}.

• Members

for the past 10 years or so, winters were black metal, summers were death metal, and the inbetweens were all over the map.

lately though, i'm listening to less and less metal as i find that there is less and less stuff that i find interesting, with the exception of a few bands. Been listening to and playing tons of blues and blues/rock stuff. Love listening to jazz all year round, and occasionally flamenco. Also, classic rock and grunge are always in the rotation.

• Members

I went through phases:

1) Early 80s mainstream radio rock made me fall in love with music.

2) 70s and early 80s punk rock (Ramones, Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Wire) convinced me I could actually play music.

3) 80s college/alt rock (Smiths, Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc.) made me want to write songs.

4) Getting into 80s thrash (Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer) inspired me to become better than merely adequate at my instrument.

:idk: With each new phase, I never really stopped listening to the music from the last one - metalhead friends mocked me for liking The Smiths, and punk rocker friends mocked me for liking Celtic Frost. But each phase definitely helped shape me into the musician I am now (for better or worse).

Now I'll go through moods for months or seasons or years, where maybe I won't listen to London Calling for a whole year even though it's probably my favorite album of all time. It's so ingrained in my consciousness that I don't need to.

• Members

It coincides with my manic depression and what music is newly released.

Right now, just coming out of an alt. rock phase (depression)

Now that I am slipping into a manic phase (and also because of all of the new releases, Gojira, Periphery, Testament), I am really getting back into metal.

When I calm from the manic phase I will probably get back into mostly acoustic.

• Members

i just got into woods of ypres. {censored} my balls this {censored} is great. like type o, only more death/black metal. the main dude behind the band died not too long ago though, they still have lots of music.

before yesterday, i got into odd future wolf gang kill them all. i dig it. been listening to them for a couple months.

Archived