Need Jamming tone/volume tips

Ovid9

• Members

So, I've been jamming with this dude for a couple of months working on some songs for a cover band. Things are coming along (albeit slowly cause I need to practice more :facepalm: ) but one thing is driving me a bit nuts; I can completely bury him volume/cut-wise without even trying.

He's using a Vyper 100 (or 60? One of them) and it sounds decent enough, but he doesn't need to have it very loud to get a decent enough sound. We don't practice all that loud as its just two guitars right now. When we add a drummer and bassist I'm thinking volumes will go up a bit.

I'm using my Bravo with a dirty bomb or my SUF civil war for crunch. I don't have my clean channel set very loud, maybe on 4ish, and I don't have my guitar's volume very high or the volume on my pedals high. But, I either sound way too thin and quiet or am completely burying him. Finding middle ground is difficult.

Would possibly a volume pedal help me a bit more? Rolling back my guitar's volume helps a bit, but since I don't have it high to begin with, there isn't much give until it is too quiet.

Yes, him turning up more is an option I will explore as well cause good lord tube amps sound good as you turn up their volume and I want to be able to do that! :love:

• Members

a volume pedal essentially (not electronically) = another guitar volume knob. wont really help. most of these are EQ problems, not volume problems, usually.

my band has my guitar and a keyboardist that plays it in the same freq range, through the same types of pedals, sort of like a second guitar. EQ can get hairy sometimes. and it can really make you think one or the other is too loud, but you hit your pickup switch and magically everything sits right.

• Members

I agree , it will be an eq issue.

He probably has his mids scooped right out , and yours are probably either neutral or boosted .

if you are happy with your tone , get him to change his haha

EQ issues are it! Thanks guys! His distorted tone is typically pretty gainy, like really gainy at low volumes and sorta scooped. The Bravo has plenty of bass and TONS of mids. I'm burying him EQ-wise, not so much volume wise. Hell, at similar volumes I'd probably still bury him just because of the EQ.

Ok, so...I'll lower my bass and mids further and maybe I'll play single coils next time to see how it all fits. He has a VK100 he plans to use if we ever start to gig, so I'm not quite as worried for those settings.

I just wanted ideas on what to do without starting a volume war and you all gave them to me. Thanks!

• Members

This is why I hate playing with a guitar player with a modeler. It takes absolutely nothing to bury him in the mix, so I always have to compromise my tone and volume to match his {censored}ness.

Yeah....it....is rough. I mean, we're just jamming and I'm WAY more worried about learning the songs and playing good than my tone....BUT it is annoying as hell that I can't sound decent without just burying him. :(

Archived