What's your favorite Tubscreamer type boost??

ju5t1n20

• Members

I've been using my TS9 for my boost needs since I got my Mesa. Just curious as to what your favorite go to tscreamer-esque boost is? I've looked at Maxon, Ibanez, and a few others. Teach me about them.

Reason is I may be able to pickup a Maxon 808 for about 30 bucks.

• Members

Dude, if you can get one for 30 bucks, just grab that {censored}...you can easily flip it for 3 times that haha. Friend of mine just got one of those, too, and Im interested to hear it with the Mako. I do really dig the TS9, though. But in all honesty, Ive owned an 808 and a bad monkey at the same time, and they were too similar for me to justify the price of the 808...but for 30 bucks, its a no brainer.

• Members

Flip the OD808 and get a Green Rhino. I A/B the OD808 and the Green Rhino and IMO, the Green Rhino has more mid-range presence and tighter low-end than the OD808. It also has a bit more gain on tap than most TS-style pedals I've tried, so that may or may not be a plus for you. Overall, though the Green Rhino just kills any other TS-style pedals I've tried out, just IMO. It's got more chunk, it's livelier and the control you have is insane.

• Members

Bodenhamer Bloody Murder..it's a flub filter..gives you what you want and takes out what you don't. The range on all the knobs if fully useable..it's just a great pedal. My next favorite if I didn't have that is a Coffin Blood Drive. It gives you extra gain even with the gain knob off, JUST enough to push cleans into a nice atmospheric kinda breakup and it actually fattens things up which is cool.

• Members

Modded Boss SD1. Dont care what anyone says. A few simple tweaks, and an SD1 will piss all over a TS. I just find the SD1 to have better clarity & a nicer top

Modded TS9 (just the bigger caps for more lows coming thru. Only 2 caps, if memory serves me correct)

• Members

Modded Boss SD1. Dont care what anyone says. A few simple tweaks, and an SD1 will piss all over a TS. I just find the SD1 to have better clarity & a nicer top

Modded TS9 (just the bigger caps for more lows coming thru. Only 2 caps, if memory serves me correct)

yeah, to be honest I only like my Tubescreamer when I'm using Fender amps that have plenty of low end. Oh, and when I can turn them up properly. A TS9 in to a normal amp at reasonable volume is just wimpy sounding.

• Members

What mods?

• Members

Love my OD808, though with the triwatt I'm never boosting, just using the OCD for distortion. but on every other amp I've owned, I've loved the OD808 as a boost.

30 bucks a steal. I paid 100 used for mine...granted, I am an impatient bastard and don't wait for deals :o:lol:

• Members

yeah, to be honest I only like my Tubescreamer when I'm using Fender amps that have plenty of low end. Oh, and when I can turn them up properly. A TS9 in to a normal amp at reasonable volume is just wimpy sounding.

Agreed. My modded SD1, which I love to bits, is my go to pedal for everything lead related. The typical 808 is a little "drier" sounding to me as it rounds off more top end and cuts a lot more low end than my SD-1. Better as kind of a bandaid than a sweetener.

• Members

What mods?

a couple resistor changes, some diode changes (LEDs in place of Zeners) , and some cap changes to give more lows, smooth out the mids. Ive got my faves written down, but I dont have my book with me.

Google DIY SD1 mods. Theres many mods for the SD1 and all pretty easy to do. If you like to hack on pedals, the SD1 is a fun one to experiment with. Especially since they can be had for cheap.

• Members

My 2 favorites that I use are a Maxon OD808 and a MXR Classic OD. I REALLY want to try the new MXR Custom Badass Modified OD...

I traded a MXR phase 100 for a MXR badass 78 distortion. Cant wait for it to get here. Still wanna try the badass OD.

Archived