OT, help me pick a powerful laptop

Miter Gauge

• Members

I need a laptop capable of editing HD video, creating motion GFX (After Effects - some light 3D animation), still graphics and photo editing.

I'd like it to be able to support an external 27" monitor at times.

I don't care if it's Microsoft or iOS based. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Members

I need a laptop capable of editing HD video, creating motion GFX (After Effects - some light 3D animation), still graphics and photo editing.

I'd like it to be able to support an external 27" monitor at times.

I don't care if it's Microsoft or iOS based. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

As much as I hate to say it,..it's hard to be a fully loaded MacBook Pro for that type of work.

• Members

Both video editors at my work use Windows desktops. Don't know much more about it than that. They don't use Macs anymore, don't know why as our company doesn't care what you use. Some of the admin and sales teams use Macbooks.

I use Adobe Audition for video editing at home and love it, but I don't do anything near as complicated as what you're talking about.

• Members

Both video editors at my work use Windows desktops. Don't know much more about it than that. They don't use Macs anymore, don't know why as our company doesn't care what you use. Some of the admin and sales teams use Macbooks.

I use Adobe Audition for video editing at home and love it, but I don't do anything near as complicated as what you're talking about.

I'd be happy with either platform and in the end if you spec them out similarly they cost about the same. People always say Macs are expensive but the desktop I used before taking this job cost about $14,000 dollars (without monitor) but damn that thing screamed.

Still, that is peanuts compared to what editing machines used to cost. I remember a company I used to work for back in the mid 90s buying us a couple of Quantel Henrys, each was about $600,000, held 2hrs of footage and could only edit in SD. Then again that was back when you could charge $500 an hour for online editing.

Archived