Celestion V30 vs. Celestion G12T-75 in 30 watt combo?

doomsdaymachine

• Members

I put in a T75 in the Mesa F30, and I'm on the fence. For what it's worth, the T75 is new, and Chinese, and the V30 is English-made, and broken in.

I'm looking for a tighter bass, and figured the T75 was the way to go. Maybe it just needs a break-in period? It seems to have more thump, but the V30 had nicer mids.

• Members

find a cl80.

75's don't sound so hot in combos to my ears-- too dry and crispy. they like closed back cabs a LOT more. v30's... if they're your bag, seem to do okay. i think they sound like a rhino bellowing with a headcold and it's testicles wrapped around a stick.

• Members

OH-- forgot the h30.. der. that's a good combo speaker a) if you're not REALLY winding it out, or b) if you ARE really winding it out and you want to drive it into speaker distortion for that creamy woman-y tone. it's brightish and cutty, but it's got a fat bottom end. the cl80'd be more neutral and unflappable with a stoutish bass.

if you REALLY want clean... try an emi delta pro 12a. or an EVM if you want more v30ish mids.

• Members

There are too many variables. The amp circuit, open/closed back cabinet, guitar type, pickups, effects, etc. all have a big effect on the sound. I have loved and hated both of those speakers depending on the application. I'm using a 75 watt Celestion in a Blackstar combo amp right now and I love it. Same speaker was in an open back 2x12 cabinet and I hated it. Try both in a live band situation and you'll know which one sounds best.

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of the T75'a -- A lot of Boogies are voiced to work with V30's so whether or not you like them or not with other amps they usually do the job.

If you can find a Mesa C90 that might work well too, and as others have said a Classic Lead 80 would probably sound quite good.

• Members

OH-- forgot the h30.. der. that's a good combo speaker a) if you're not REALLY winding it out, or b) if you ARE really winding it out and you want to drive it into speaker distortion for that creamy woman-y tone. it's brightish and cutty, but it's got a fat bottom end. the cl80'd be more neutral and unflappable with a stoutish bass.

if you REALLY want clean... try an emi delta pro 12a.
or an EVM if you want more v30ish mids

Huh? I wouldnt call the mids that the EVM have to be anything similiar to the v30, the EVM is basically flat and hi-fi, the v30 is mids, mids, more mids and some added mid with some bonus mids for extra mids.

• Members

Huh? I wouldnt call the mids that the EVM have to be anything similiar to the v30, the EVM is basically flat and hi-fi, the v30 is mids, mids, more mids and some added mid with some bonus mids for extra mids.

the EVM's got more midrange presence than something like a cl80-- more what i meant-- although an EVMs got more mids than i want. i sure don't find an EVM 'flat sounding' in the least in a guitar sitch-- just extended and exaggeratey on top. they both sorta share a similar footprint to my ears. :idk:

• Members

I'm looking for a tighter bass.

These 2 speakers are opposites. The V30 has less low end and will feel tighter, huge mids, tamed highs. The T75 has a big, somewhat boomy low end, scooped mids, very present highs.

The MC90 is Mesa spec'ed Classic Lead, aka G12-80. It is pretty good on its own but it really lets the amps tone come through.

• Members

the EVM's got more midrange presence than something like a cl80-- more what i meant-- although an EVMs got more mids than i want. i sure don't find an EVM 'flat sounding' in the least in a guitar sitch-- just extended and exaggeratey on top. they both sorta share a similar footprint to my ears.
:idk:

The cl80 is sort of bland sounding to me and i could agree that the EVM has more mids but the v30 and EVM could sound more different IMO.

I definetly agree about the EVMs treble though, an opinion that'll get you crucified on TGP and sometimes here as well.

Archived