Open or closed back cab?

Gatelyne

• Members

Im sure this has been discussed before... many times.

I currently have an avatar 212 with v30s that is closed back. I used to have a carving that was half open with 75s.

The avatar sounds decent at best in my small 'me room.' The carvin actually sounded better to my ears despite having the 75s.

Im sure the small room contributes to my opinion. The closed back loaded with v30s is very focused and the size of the room doesnt allow for proper 'bloom' vs the open back which would 'bloom' inside a friggin' closet.

Im thinking about opening the back of the avatar in attempt to let the sound develop earlier instead of having the focused v30 beam of death.

Any thoughts on the subject? Will I lose a lot of lowend? The opened back carving had loads of it.

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

OPening the back may make it worse. I dont know. Im going to make a 'half back' for it just for the hell of it. I have some scrap plywood that'll work just fine.

BTW: The amp with the beer holder is the {censored}!

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

OPening the back may make it worse. I dont know. Im going to make a 'half back' for it just for the hell of it. I have some scrap plywood that'll work just fine.

BTW: The amp with the beer holder is the {censored}!

Personally I would just take the back off of your cab and try playing it completely open for a while and see how you like it. If you don't like it completely open then IMO you probably won't like the half back either. I've tried it many times and think closed back sounds much much better.

Archived