No announcement yet.

Open or closed back cab?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open or closed back cab?

Im sure this has been discussed before... many times.

I currently have an avatar 212 with v30s that is closed back. I used to have a carving that was half open with 75s.

The avatar sounds decent at best in my small 'me room.' The carvin actually sounded better to my ears despite having the 75s.

Im sure the small room contributes to my opinion. The closed back loaded with v30s is very focused and the size of the room doesnt allow for proper 'bloom' vs the open back which would 'bloom' inside a friggin' closet.

Im thinking about opening the back of the avatar in attempt to let the sound develop earlier instead of having the focused v30 beam of death.

Any thoughts on the subject? Will I lose a lot of lowend? The opened back carving had loads of it.
    Good transactions with: JonathanD, NixerX, sdhupelia, jtizel666, The suicider, dbonanzam, phatgirl, Xenoanthropus, Sixtonoize, 98 les paul

We discussed this many times indeed and my answer is always the same: open the back and give it a shot. Don't like it? Close it again. That's the EASIEST thing to try for yourself.
    http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

I probably will but not open it completely. A trip to the hardware store is in order.
      Good transactions with: JonathanD, NixerX, sdhupelia, jtizel666, The suicider, dbonanzam, phatgirl, Xenoanthropus, Sixtonoize, 98 les paul

Comment

one of each, at the same damn time
        strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

I used to run both at the same time. The sound was HUGE. But someone offered me money and I let the carvin go

Comment

Correct response.
            /thread.
            Ampeg VH-140C
            Redbear MK60
            Whitebox 2x12 (Tonkerlites)
            Whitebox 2x12 (Deltalites)

http://www.reverbnation.com/southernsoil
            http://southernsoil.bandcamp.com/

Comment

It's good to have the option. I find I prefer closed.

Comment

That's pretty much the answer to any problem.
                Guitars
                Amps
                Pedals

Comment

v30s are already a middy kinda one dimensional sounding speaker to me, i would think opening the back would make that even worse?

Comment

I like closed for most everything, clean tones are a little better open I think.

At one time you could order an open back-piece from avatar, pretty cheap.
                    Framus Cobra, Mesa Mark III, VHT Deliverance, Ampeg SS150
                    Splawn OS 2x12 & two 4x12's

Comment

v30s are already a middy kinda one dimensional sounding speaker to me, i would think opening the back would make that even worse?

Personally I prefer v30's in a close back cab.
                      Originally Posted by telephant

Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A ****************ing. Song.

UK based band;
                      http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

OPening the back may make it worse. I dont know. Im going to make a 'half back' for it just for the hell of it. I have some scrap plywood that'll work just fine.

BTW: The amp with the beer holder is the ****************!

Comment

Always closed for me personally. Not a fan of open back at all
                          ----------------------------------------
                          1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom- Wine Red
                          1971 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
                          1995 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                          2010 Fender American Tele
                          2011 Fender Am. Std Strat
                          1984 Marshall JCM 800 2203
                          1974 Marshall JMP Superlead
                          Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II
                          Peavey JSX
                          Peavey XXX
                          Line 6 Spider IV 75 (2) for the cover band
                          Orange cabs
                          Beer & Whiskey

Comment

I prefer closed so that you can channel the sound where you want it.
                            tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                            www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                            -For Sale:
                            -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                            -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                            - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                            - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                            - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Your amp may not sound good with V30's. V30's always sound better in a closed cab.

It's in the Geneva Convention.
                              ELP92SD -> some pedals -> MarkIV -> Rectifier 2x12 cab

"The Bible is the rock on which this Republic rests." - Andrew Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X