Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letting a lot of gear go, but am I doing the right thing?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting a lot of gear go, but am I doing the right thing?

My wife and I trying for our first child and it got me thinking about having a bunch of gear, especially 50 and 100 watt amps that I only play at home. Today, I took my DSL50, Marshall cab, 6505+, and one of starts to a friend's store to sell on consignment. I now have my Tweaker online too.

I really just play at home (I can turn it up, but not to ear bleed levels). I have no interest in gigging, and I really just want to record on my computer. I figured if I can get a really good 30-40 watt head with the recto cab I have at home plus my little Traynor tube amp, that should suffice. Is that a pretty justifiable philosophy?

I've been doing some research into the Mesa Transatlantic 30. Looks like a killer amp and the clips on Youtube sound amazing. My question is can it do prog rock. Not all-out metal, but upwards of Tool, Opeth, and Porcupine Tree? Most of what I play now is fusion, hard rock, and classic rock, all of which I hear the amp does great. Has this been your experience?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Good Deals with: Shred-o-holic (Bought his JVM410h), Chris39 (My Laney VH100r for his Tweaker 40, Boss Octave, MXR Classic Overdrive and 50$), Unclemeat (Bought his Legacy III), lots of others I can't remember.</div>

If I needed to, I could get by with my mark III and 2*12 cab at home.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font color="Gray">Framus Cobra, Mesa Mark III, VHT Deliverance, Ampeg SS150<br />
    Splawn OS 2x12 &amp; two 4x12's</font></font></div>

Comment

My wife and I trying for our first child and it got me thinking about having a bunch of gear, especially 50 and 100 watt amps that I only play at home. Today, I took my DSL50, Marshall cab, 6505+, and one of starts to a friend's store to sell on consignment. I now have my Tweaker online too.

I really just play at home (I can turn it up, but not to ear bleed levels). I have no interest in gigging, and I really just want to record on my computer. I figured if I can get a really good 30-40 watt head with the recto cab I have at home plus my little Traynor tube amp, that should suffice. Is that a pretty justifiable philosophy?

I've been doing some research into the Mesa Transatlantic 30. Looks like a killer amp and the clips on Youtube sound amazing. My question is can it do prog rock. Not all-out metal, but upwards of Tool, Opeth, and Porcupine Tree? Most of what I play now is fusion, hard rock, and classic rock, all of which I hear the amp does great. Has this been your experience?

You are doing the right thing. Keep the Tweaker and focus on starting your family. You can always go back to buying gear once things are settled. I practically quit playing for 7 years to raise my son exclusively. It was totally worth it. Now he is a bit older and I have the parenting thing pretty much down so I have some cool gear AND a happy kid at home. Zero regrets.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.guitarampboard.com">http://www.guitarampboard.com</a><br><br><br>Like my band on FB: <a target="_blank" href="http://www.facebook.com/thefew1">http://www.facebook.com/thefew1</a><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>All prices include shipping to ConUS.</div>

Comment

I would check out the orange th30.. Its got gobs of gain and does cleans very well. Plus the multiwattage is cool i think its 30 to start with and goes down to 15 and then 7.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Arial Black"><b>Amps/Cabs used ::</b></font>EVH 5150 III 50w,Genz Benz 212 g-flex<br />
        <br />
        <font face="Arial Black"><b>Guitars Used ::</b></font> 2001 PRS Singlecut 10 top, Ernie Ball Musicman JP6, LTD MV-200<br />
        <br />
        <font face="Arial Black"><font color="Red">Spam::</font></font> VOX ac4 head, mxr custom comp.<br />
        <br />
        <br />
        Good/Awesome People to deal with:: <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=40881457&amp;postcount=521" target="_blank">http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...&amp;postcount=521</a></div>

Comment

It's weird, because I've settled on guitars (mostly). If I can settle on a couple of nice amps, that'd be nice. Totally looking forward to parenthood. Should be an adventure.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Good Deals with: Shred-o-holic (Bought his JVM410h), Chris39 (My Laney VH100r for his Tweaker 40, Boss Octave, MXR Classic Overdrive and 50$), Unclemeat (Bought his Legacy III), lots of others I can't remember.</div>

Comment

I would check out the orange th30.. Its got gobs of gain and does cleans very well. Plus the multiwattage is cool i think its 30 to start with and goes down to 15 and then 7.

Orange's are interesting amp, but not quite my think. I'm looking for something a little less raw I think. That's why I was checking out those particular Boogies: low watts, Mesas sound great, and versatile. If it can get Tool territory, I'll be pleased.

Comment

Baron Snott Watt. You needz haz.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Splawn Quickrod 2012 B+ Option<br />
              Splawn Nitro 2012<br />
              Splawn Nitro 2008<br />
              Modded 6505+<br />
              Blackstar HT-5</div>

Comment

I am kind of doing the same. I already have a family, but I am just getting to the point where I feel like having 5 100W+ tubes heads and racks of guitars is useless. I just think the money and space could be used for more useful things.

I am kind of going an opposite direction though.... I got an Axe-FX and a SS poweramp. I am going to be working with this setup to see if I can get rid of all the tube amps.... time will tell...

I think you are doing the right thing... I have always found that I play more, and enjoy playing more when I have less gear. It seems like the more gear I have, the less I actually play and have fun because I am more worried about sampling all the gear constantly...
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br />
                Mesa Triple Recto<br />
                Marshall 2203 Clone<br />
                Axe-FX/POD HD500<br />
                </font></div>

Comment

Dude you should not be selling anything. You should be playing the crap out of every bit of gear you have until that little dude actually makes his appearance on earth. Just trying now? WTF am I missing something? Are you too busy buying prenatal vitamins to play your guitar? Or are you just gassing for some new amp? That's ok too, I guess. Do what you want.
                  Guitars:
                  -Fender Wayne's World 2 Stratocaster w/Fat '50s pickups
                  -Fender Blacktop Jaguar HH
                  Amps:
                  -Fender Champion 110 w/Lil' Buddy
                  -Fender Princeton 112 Plus w/Red White and Blues
                  -Crate Palomino V8
                  Effects:
                  -Way Huge Swollen Pickle Jumbo Fuzz
                  -Pro Co You Dirty Rat Distortion
                  -MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Comment

Keep something small and versatile for jamming with..

Comment

Go for it. I used to have big stacks.. and after losing passion and not playing for a few years, i decided to sell/trade almost all my gear, and got an orange head and a 1x12. Love it.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars</b>: PRS CE22 burst, PRS SE SC white, Gibson LP standard burst, Martin auditorium<br />
                      <b>Amps</b>:Orange TH30H, Tiny Terror<br />
                      Selling: 1990 Ovation Pinnacle, ibanez artcore deluxe, BOSS RC-20 XL</div>

Comment

Dude you should not be selling anything. You should be playing the crap out of every bit of gear you have until that little dude actually makes his appearance on earth. Just trying now? WTF am I missing something? Are you too busy buying prenatal vitamins to play your guitar? Or are you just gassing for some new amp? That's ok too, I guess. Do what you want.

The trying of the kid just made me think about how I don't need all this stuff. Just puts things into perspective.

Comment

I am now at the position were I have a cheap but good combo and 2 guitars (here, I have one in storage) and some pedals. I am finding my more limited options help me focus on playing and enjoying guitar.

And as for parent hood, for me it was that jigsaw piece I was missing in my life. My son is so awesome I wouldn't swap it for the world.
                          http://www.guitarampboard.com we have gone there, please follow!!!<br><br>Remember<br><br>http://www.guitarampboard.com<br><br>Yes that's right<br><br>http://www.guitarampboard.com<br><br>^_^ http://www.guitarampboard.com ^_^<br>

Comment

The trying of the kid just made me think about how I don't need all this stuff. Just puts things into perspective.

Sure. Maybe I'm a little touchy on this subject because I have so many friends who are choosing not to have kids because they think it will obliterate their whole existence. It really doesn't. You do change the way you look at gear, kind of more as tools or a means to an end, but that comes with getting older too. You can't completely lose that sense of playfulness and individuality, or you'll be a lousy parent.
                            Guitars:
                            -Fender Wayne's World 2 Stratocaster w/Fat '50s pickups
                            -Fender Blacktop Jaguar HH
                            Amps:
                            -Fender Champion 110 w/Lil' Buddy
                            -Fender Princeton 112 Plus w/Red White and Blues
                            -Crate Palomino V8
                            Effects:
                            -Way Huge Swollen Pickle Jumbo Fuzz
                            -Pro Co You Dirty Rat Distortion
                            -MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Comment

No experience here with the TA series, but if I were to get one it would be the 30. Haggerty's music has some good vids up of Don playing them and it sounds like they can get pretty raunchy. Mesa's take on the Vox vibe more or less, but if you dig it, then go for it. Have you considered the Mini-rectifier by chance? I ask because it seems like it'd be closer to your alley. It's a bit tighter and brighter than your average Recto due to the EL84 power section. Unless you're just not a Recto guy, which I understand. They're not for everyone.

Also, while not a lunchbox/smaller amp per se, a Mark IV can sound pretty damn righteous at lower volumes. I was amazed with my IVa I had how little I actually needed to turn it up to get awesome low volume sounds out of it. Plus it sounded massive when I did get to crank it. Those amps literally do cover almost everything tonally. Plus there's a good amount of power amp options, with Simul-class (90 watts), Tweed Power (45 watts roughly) and being able to run Class A on the outer tubes (15 watts).
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><u>Gear:</u><br>Charvel San Dimas Pink Panther w/ Screamin Demon and Custom Custom<br>Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMGs<br>Gibson Flying V w/ Duncan Distortions<br>Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials and PAF Pro<br>Jackson RR-5 w/ Duncan JBs<br>Epiphone Les Paul Classic w/ EMGS<br>Fender HM Strat w/ DiMarzio Evolution, YJM and Air Norton S<br>Sterling JP50 w/ Crunch Lab and Liquifire<br>ENGL Powerball v2<br>Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Tremoverb<br>Mesa/Boogie 2x12<br>Mesa/Boogie Recto 4x12</div>

Comment

Working...
                              X