Brown sound attempt clip (5150 and JCM800 mix)

thefyn

• Members

Doesn't sound anything like any Van Halen tone I'm familiar with, but I thought it was cool nonetheless...

Steve

Yep. Listening back I only think the solo tone git kind close. Ryth was too middsy.

• Members

The timing sounds screwed up with the double tracking or what ever you used in the first minute or so. It's weird, it's not the whole time but it repeats itself over and over and is distracting. It starts at about :20 and continues through the rhytm section like it's an editing thing from when you put it together, not a playing thing. I went back and started the clip again at 1:03 and listened to it that way and that's cool, I like that.

• Members

The timing sounds screwed up with the double tracking or what ever you used in the first minute or so. It's weird, it's not the whole time but it repeats itself over and over and is distracting. It starts at about :20 and continues through the rhytm section like it's an editing thing from when you put it together, not a playing thing. I went back and started the clip again at 1:03 and listened to it that way and that's cool, I like that.

Thats good old fashioned slop. It's hard to nail the A after the draggy pull offy scrapy thing. The three tracks are drifting a bit. It was a boozy clip.

• Members

Overall good sound man. The clip seems to suffer from something I've been noticing about using two heavy amps side by side. The responsiveness of one vs. the other makes the overall sound a tad undefined. This is just something I've noticed tends to happen when running two amps where their characteristics don't always blend in the most musical ways.

• Members

Overall good sound man. The clip seems to suffer from something I've been noticing about using two heavy amps side by side. The responsiveness of one vs. the other makes the overall sound a tad undefined. This is just something I've noticed tends to happen when running two amps where their characteristics don't always blend in the most musical ways.

I think it is more a performance issue. I made 3 tracks and played sloppily. I used the same combo for this clip:

http://soundcloud.com/tock-1/dual-amp-5150-and-jcm800-quick

Which track OK amp blend wise. Also the initial clip has reverb and delay added to one side to cloud it up a little:

Just the guitars:

http://soundcloud.com/tock-1/eddeh2

• Members

Sounds good but not anything like EVH tone on his early albums. Don't mean that as an insult, like I said it sounds damn good to me but you need a lot more sag in the lows and top end bite/fizz for the "Brown Sound".

This is what I mean-

• Members

I think it is more a performance issue. I made 3 tracks and played sloppily. I used the same combo for this clip:

Which track OK amp blend wise. Also the initial clip has reverb and delay added to one side to cloud it up a little:

Just the guitars:

yep. that makes sense then.

Archived