I think I'm getting scammed on Ebay.....

guitarcapo

• Members

I set up an auction for a nice vintage Magnatone amp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&view=all&item=271010001698&tid=0&ssPageName=ADME:X:CPSOS:US:1123

In the auction I even provide a YOUTUBE demo of the amp working perfectly:

[YOUTUBE]6z5CAqsCoyg[/YOUTUBE]

The buyer received the item yesterday and immediately issued a complaint/chargeback to Paypal stating that the "speakers are blown"

The amp has two 12" speakers. How can BOTH be blown simultaneously?

I'm guessing the guy either did something to damage the amp or he's trying to pull a scam.

I'm thinking about giving up on Ebay. Lately I've had people intentionally break stuff when they receive it just because they decide they don't want it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What happens when something like this happens? (edit: just saw you mentioned this - thats lame)

Is it the buyers word over the sellers?

What about shipping? could it of happened there?

Interested in a few things to do with this as recently a friend had a (small) situation like this :facepalm:

• Members

I hope the buyer keeps the busted amp you sent him AND gets his money back.

You are responsible for making sure the gear works as described and not passing off junk on eBay.

This. Also, I hope eBay awards the buyer your left kidney and first-born child, just to teach you a lesson. :cop:

Seriously, though, did the buyer even contact you directly, or did he jump straight to filing with the bay?

• Members

I'm learning how Paypal workswith me. They weren't able to pull the money back out of my bank account...but they DID stop a payment for ANOTHER amp I had for sale which I haven't shipped yet. I have a NEGATIVE balance in my Paypal account right now of -$260 BUT that second amp is still in my possession. I'm considering NOT shipping the second amp, taking the hit on my feedback and maybe Paypal shutting me down over this. They will have to refund the second buyer (not me)...because it looks like my bank isn't allowing them to take money out of my account. technically I can get out of this mess...but it will probably ruin my reputation with Ebay/Paypal.

Real mess.

I'm thinking the guy might also be working a scam to replace the blown speakers in HIS amp of the same make with the ones in the amp I'm selling.

• Members

This. Also, I hope eBay awards the buyer your left kidney and first-born child, just to teach you a lesson.
:cop:

Seriously, though, did the buyer even contact you directly, or did he jump straight to filing with the bay?

Straight to filing. That's why I thnk it's a scam.

• Members

I never sell anything on Ebay anymore -- last time I did that was,..{censored},...2006.

For selling gear of any kind there are other avenues -- TGP, Rig-Talk and Craigslist (although I'd never ship something for a deal on CL).

Good luck.

• Members

Why are you trying to cobble together broken gear? Mad that your temporary "fix" didn't last long enough for payment to clear?

You're just an asshole. The video shows the amp working fine. How did I temporarily fix two speakers so that they were about to blow simultaneously upon arrival? Go {censored} yourself. I know it's what you want hear so i'll oblige you.

• Members

Can someone run me through all the ways you can be scammed with paypal?

im not sure if i am up with the play.....

and any play for that matter
:facepalm:

Well if you have a vintage amp with blown speakers...one scam would be to find the exact same model on Ebay. Buy it at auction. Swap the good speakers with your bad ones. Claim the speakers arrived blown and return the "damaged goods" for a refund. That's one scam I'm thinking of right now.

• Members

Glue and low volume would do exactly what you just said. It's pathetic.

It's pretty interesting that the guy won't return my calls to voicemail and immediately filed a claim without trying to resolve things with me directly. Not that any of this matters. I might have to close out my Ebay account over this if they side with him unreasonably.

• Members

The auction is no longer viewable. Did you mention the 'repaired' speakers? If not, you are 100% in the wrong and a dick. It's the seller's responsibility to mention everything, no matter how insignificant.

Even something like plugging and redrilling neck holes on an elcheapo, hunnert buck strat copy. While it has no effect on playability or aesthetics, you still mention it. If you don't, yer scammin' the buyer. It's that simple.

If you did note the repairs and the buyer gets his panties jammed in his ass crack over it, he's trying to pull a scam.

This ain't rocket surgery, it's simple common sense.

Archived