My new amp build, based on the "5150 combo"

Slaymoar

• Members

Starting my build based off a 5150 combo. They are loud, mean and IMO the best 5150 ever made. Sure I can save some coin and buy a used one, but I'm not really cloning this, I am building it with my own touch. Parts were ordered this week, and last shipping confirmation was sent today. Here is what I ordered;

Mouser:

- RN70 low noise resistors - Used mostly for preamp to keep noise as low as possible. Will it help? Haven't tried them yet, but I already received the package from mouser (they shipped overnight - fast) and they are definitely hefty, heavier than regular oxide or film resistors I have bought. Hopefully it helps :idk:

Turretboards:

- Chassis

- Sozo caps

- Mica caps

- Chassis hardware

Triodeusa:

- Classictone PT/OT's

Tubesandmore:

- JJ filter caps

- Sprague bias and other caps

- Solen cap

- Orange drops

- Lacquered 20awg solid core (didn

• Members

Have you created a layout for this yet? You should probably attempt drawing a turret board layout before ordering parts.

I'm definitely not trying this blind folded.. :lol:

I have made two turret board amps previously, dual recto clone had channel switching. The 5150 has one more tube which handles the effects loop.. The two amps I made didn't look great inside, actually they looked pretty horrible inside. My challenge this time around is to make it look pretty, not only electronically sound.

Edit: Some of the parts are essential for me to get accurate measurements for things in the amp. So i like having the parts on hand when I draw it up.

• Members

Those Dale Vishay resistors are the ones I'm gonna use on my next build. They're supposed to sound as good as carbon film but be quiet like metal film.

There is not way for me to tell the difference since too many other factors will differ from the original 5150 combo, but I just wanted to lower the noise floor some, and use nice stuff to make it. I'm sure these will do.. As I mentionned in the OP, they are much larger than the film 1/2watters, and about twice the size of the 1 watt oxides, and much heavier. They have thick leads, which may actually use a bit too much space in the turrets for some people. But I'll be fine for me since I will design with that in mind.. Now I just thought about the heat wicking pinchy things I'm gonna need for the poly caps.. :facepalm:

• Members

There is not way for me to tell the difference since too many other factors will differ from the original 5150 combo, but I just wanted to lower the noise floor some, and use nice stuff to make it. I'm sure these will do.. As I mentionned in the OP, they are much larger than the film 1/2watters, and about twice the size of the 1 watt oxides, and much heavier. They have thick leads, which may actually use a bit too much space in the turrets for some people. But I'll be fine for me since I will design with that in mind.. Now I just thought about the heat wicking pinchy things I'm gonna need for the poly caps..
:facepalm:

I've always wanted to pick up a 5150 to beef up the filtering and do a choke. I'm betting that'd fix alot of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived