Weber Quality Control lol...

madryan

• Members

Ordered this for a rig but never used it because it took forever getting to me.

When I did get it I got all sorts of oscillation when I tried using it so I tossed it in my tool box and forgot about it.

It's a 2-head switcher so it's meant to provide a load for one amp while you play the other so you can run two heads on one cab and it remote switches.

As you can see they didn't solder one of the connections in the resistor stack. I could have blown one or both OT's lol.

{censored}ing Weber lol. What tools.

IMG_0152-Copy.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

• Members

I don't spend that much time around here but that's the first bad thing I've seen or heard about Weber. What did you do about it?

Just found it today.

I've had a few of their kit amps come by including one I took in on trade and the components are absolutely rock bottom. I'm really not a fan.

That, plus the total runaround I got while trying to order this POS pretty much sours me on them for good.

• Members

Lol damn. It does look pretty damn well made otherwise, though. Brain fart and no second inspection (which is dumb) I suppose.

Meh. Cheap chinese jacks everywhere. In a situation where a mechanical failure can roast your OT (like a speaker jack) it's stupid not to use something like a UK made Cliff Jack or at least a Switchcraft.

• Members

Just found it today.

I've had a few of their kit amps come by including one I took in on trade and the components are absolutely rock bottom. I'm really not a fan.

That, plus the total runaround I got while trying to order this POS pretty much sours me on them for good.

That's too bad. I love looking around through their amp kits and thought about buying from them, but knowing your expertise in building I'll have to pass. I would still consider them among the top brands for speakers anyway?

• Members

That's too bad. I love looking around through their amp kits and thought about buying from them, but knowing your expertise in building I'll have to pass. I would still consider them among the top brands for speakers anyway?

After the snafu with Jim from Scumback and how TA handled it I'm inclined to pass. If you want a really solid kit for a good price go Ceriatone. Get them sans transformers and headshell and you can save alot on shipping.

• Members

Meh. Cheap chinese jacks everywhere. In a situation where a mechanical failure can roast your OT (like a speaker jack) it's stupid not to use something like a UK made Cliff Jack or at least a Switchcraft.

I definitely don't have enough experience to tell a jack's country of origin from a pic :lol:

At least they aren't plastic :p

• Members

I definitely don't have enough experience to tell a jack's country of origin from a pic
:lol:

At least they aren't plastic
:p

Nothing wrong with plastic jacks....lots of amp companies use them. Not because they're cheaper, but because they're better and eliminate a potential ground loop.

• Members

After the snafu with Jim from Scumback and how TA handled it I'm inclined to pass. If you want a really solid kit for a good price go Ceriatone. Get them sans transformers and headshell and you can save alot on shipping.

Actually I will never,ever give Jim business after the way he handled that situation. {censored} that guy, and {censored} Scumback. That is shoddy however, and their kits have always been meh. Had lots of success with their speakers, and their chassis are okay for Tweed stuff, not so much the Marshalls.

• Members

Actually I will never,ever give Jim business after the way he handled that situation. {censored} that guy, and {censored} Scumback. That is shoddy however, and their kits have always been meh. Had lots of success with their speakers, and their chassis are okay for Tweed stuff, not so much the Marshalls.

You mean like posting this sort of classy stuff on the internet?

scumaway.jpg

• Members

I definitely don't have enough experience to tell a jack's country of origin from a pic
:lol:

At least they aren't plastic
:p

See in the pic where the metal is all split where it's rolled over when they crimped it? That's a dead giveaway. Switchcraft jacks typically don't do that, or if they do it's usually only in one spot. What that tells me about the metal in that jack is that it's going to fail much faster through normal use than higher quality, more malleable metal because if it cracks like that when you crimp it it most likely fatigues really fast.

• Members

How do you order from Ceriatone anyway? I wanted to order a chassis for my 20 watt JMP so i emailed them. A guy emails me back and says he will check to see if they were in stock then i just never heard anything else about it.

ceriatone.net is the new site.

• Members

Maybe there are more than one type of plastic jack....the guy who built my JMP used plastic jacks

and they definitely don't inspire confidence in me. No satisfying "click" when you plug in.

I'm no amp builder, though.

Marshall has always used plastic cliff jacks. That's what you should use. They'll most likely outlast a metal jack 10:1

• Members

scumaway.jpg

Way more to what happened. All the threads at TGP are closed about it. Knew Ted for years, and his son also. Jim pulled some super shady {censored}, then, tried to blame it all on Weber. He has tried repeatedly to cause problems since then, and has serious issues. Again {censored} that guy.

• Members

Nothing wrong with plastic jacks....lots of amp companies use them. Not because they're cheaper, but because they're better and eliminate a potential ground loop.

Actually, WEBER kits ship with Neutrik Jacks. http://www.neutrik.us/.

Top shelf by anyone's standards, better than modern switchcraft (Mexico) product.

Carling Switches, Mil Grade metal film resistors, (rock bottom components. Are you high??) Chassis are good enough that they were std product offered by other retailers for years.

Either you have some agenda against Weber for some imagined slight against someone you don't know, or you couldn't tell Quality with a map...

Given that you frequently pop up in these threads slagging Weber, I imagine it's the former?

• Members

scumaway.jpg

I wasn't aware of it while that was going on, but that is pretty {censored}ing funny. :lol:

I also don't remember Jim having many nice things to say about Weber, either.

If people want to spend twice the price on the same speakers(if not extremely similar), because they are familiar with the Scumback name and worried that the Weber Legacies won't have the same coolness factor on the forums, good for them. But, I'm not interested. Weber Speakers, especially the Legacies, are awesome. They are my favorite speakers that I've ever tried.

• Members

Actually, WEBER kits ship with Neutrik Jacks.
http://www.neutrik.us/

Top shelf by anyone's standards, better than modern switchcraft (Mexico) product.

Carling Switches, Mil Grade metal film resistors, (rock bottom components. Are you high??) Chassis are good enough that they were std product offered by other retailers for years.

Either you have some agenda against Weber for some imagined slight against someone you don't know, or you couldn't tell Quality with a map...

Given that you frequently pop up in these threads slagging Weber, I imagine it's the former?

The Java kit I had was full of utter crap. Maybe their tweed fender kits ship with nice stuff but the stuff in that Java kit (it was their JTM-45 chassis and parts) was crap.

I've just never had good service from them and the kit amps I've seen that were their kits were crap IMO. FWIW the Neutrik jacks you're talking about are chinese {censored} too. They're the Neutrik NYS series and are just regular chinese junk.

The jacks used in this head switcher have "China" stamped on them so they're probably the same thing. No name pot and switch.

Here's a pic I shot of the bent up corner of that Java kit amp I took in on trade. You can see the switches. They're {censored}.

991d0d46.jpg

Here's a shot of the side of the Chassis. Piece of absolute {censored}. Looked like a kid with a band saw and a rock hashed it out in shop class.

93d46dd7.jpg

Contrast that with the Chassis I got from Ceriatone to build my Jubilee clone. Welded corners, nice thick CAD plating, box nuts, etc.

IMG_0687.jpg

• Members

Gotta agree with madryan on this.

The switches and pots I've gotten from Weber have been junk, not a fan of their stuff. I've had several of their mini toggles fail, pots were scratchy with a terrible taper. Also they shipped me an assembled LDR switching board and forgot to install the resistors for the LED's, just nothing there where the board was silk screeened for them. :facepalm:

Never used one of their kits because of the luck I had ordering parts from them.

• Members

Yep. From what I've read and been told with a metal jack you should usually use a washer to isolate it from the chassis or you're asking for a ground loop, I always use the plastic Cliff jacks.

• Members

Actually, WEBER kits ship with Neutrik Jacks.

What the {censored} are you smoking? My only comment here is the one you quoted, where I talk about plastic jacks.

Archived