Vox Valvetronix Series Discontinued?

Templeton

• Members

Hey, i've been out of the electric scene for a few years.Back when I was playing electric it seemed these amps were the go to budget amp but as far as I can see they've been discontinued.

I still have my AD30VT, are these fetching decent money nowadays?

Cheers

• Members

Are you not confusing it with a Tone port or a Pod when you say computer amp?

The Valvetronix series were popular in their day and I dare say they would be sought after if they have indeed being discontinued.

It should be worth 50-100 usd.

• Members

The Valvetronix series were popular in their day and I dare say they would be sought after if they have indeed being discontinued.

Look, they are inexpensive, mass produced, modelling amps.

There's nothing about them which would make them go up in value.

Just like a computer, digital modelling amps at some point just become out-of-date as technology keeps evolving.

• Members

I can see how the old blue line Valvetronix amps might actually keep up a good value or even increase some. They were made for a moderately short period and they were pretty professional products. Also generally thought to be better sounding than their successors. ...Not to mention they had somewhat more traditional Vox cosmetics, a trait not to be underestimated.

The way more bargain quality Valvetronix series that came after them - and especially the low power end of the range - likely isn't too good in holding up value. Maybe it's different when they become unknown vintage in 40 - 50 years. Similarly to way how today you can pretty much sell any POS cheapie tube amp from 1940 - 1970's with a ludicrously high price. Time will tell....

As far as I know, the Valve Reactor -based lines of products definitely aren't discontinued. The old AD, VR and VT lines might be but didn't Korg just introduce VTX series that features class-D amplification and power -type tube instead of the 12AX7 the older Valve Reactor scheme used?

• Members

They were basicly moderling amps using mini computers, they lose value, all moderling amps do as the next big thing comes.

I have owned enough to know this :o

• Members

I obviously didn't mean the value would be like that of a sought after antique, just that a product that had a strong reputation would hold it's value or rise slightly once it's no longer in circulation.

I've been proven right, these are going for 20% more than they were 3 years ago before I packed it away.That's better than any savings account would have given me in the time.

PS I'm not new here, I just left after all the bellends joined.

• Members

I obviously didn't mean the value would be like that of a sought after antique, just that a product that had a strong reputation would hold it's value or rise slightly once it's no longer in circulation.

I've been proven right, these are going for 20% more than they were 3 years ago before I packed it away.That's better than any savings account would have given me in the time.

So 3 years ago they were going for 60 bucks? Do you have a warehouse full of these things? Music gear is seldom an investment, SS amps and PA gear are probably the worst.

• Members

I had a Vox Valtronix Ad120VT and it broke after 6 months. I really liked it's sound as the clean where nice , the crunch was tight and the deep distortion was clean , strong and slightly brutal. It was my first amp back after a 13 year layoff of not playing at all. I was shopping for a nice practice amp and ran into this. I always liked the Vox sound but really not enough to own back in the day as I was a Twin Reverb kinda guy with a Distortion pedal out front along with a tube screamer.

I returned it to Sam Ash and got full credit and picked up a brand new Fender Twin Reverb.

Vox makes a really nice effects floor board that has all the same models in the Valvetronix amps but it doesn't have a effects loop you can use the 4 cable method if you have a nice amp you like the sound of.

• Members

as far as I know they still have the VT+ series. And they just introduced a new higher end VTX model. So they haven't been discontinued. And unless you bought your AD30 for next to nothing, I doubt that it has gone up in value. I think I paid just over $200 new for my AD30 5-6 years ago and would certainly sell it for $100 now. Still works perfectly.

• Members
I had a Vox Valtronix Ad120VT and it broke after 6 months. I really liked it's sound as the clean where nice , the crunch was tight and the deep distortion was clean , strong and slightly brutal. It was my first amp back after a 13 year layoff of not playing at all. I was shopping for a nice practice amp and ran into this. I always liked the Vox sound but really not enough to own back in the day as I was a Twin Reverb kinda guy with a Distortion pedal out front along with a tube screamer.

I returned it to Sam Ash and got full credit and picked up a brand new Fender Twin Reverb.

Vox makes a really nice effects floor board that has all the same models in the Valvetronix amps but it doesn't have a effects loop you can use the 4 cable method if you have a nice amp you like the sound of.

my Tonelab has an effects loop.

• Members

Good. Worst POS "amp" I've ever owned. I made a big mistake trading a nice TC chorus pedal for one. Haven't tuned the thing on in over a year

you should have turned the knobs a bit. Lots of nice tones in the old AD30/50. Especially the Twin, AC30, and Soldano models.

• Members
I had one of the older blue Valvetronix AD120 heads. I ended up trading it a few years ago for a 6505 combo. Dumbest thing I've ever done! Man, I wish I still had that amp. Perfect sound and options for cover gigs!

Yeah, I have an AD60VTX combo and an AD60VTH head. They have some killer tones in them. And they really come alive when you turn them up a little.

• Members

Bend over. Now, welcome to the amp forum. They are made to be throwaway amps, nothing more. If you like it, keep it and use it, who cares what anyone else says. If it breaks you can get another used one for cheap.

• Members

Hey, i've been out of the electric scene for a few years.Back when I was playing electric it seemed these amps were the go to budget amp but as far as I can see they've been discontinued.

I still have my AD30VT, are these fetching decent money nowadays?

Cheers

They are nice :)

The problem for me is that they are an illusion of what I want. The sounds are good, the volume output is ok and there are tons of available tones.

The illusion to me is that a lot of it is not as practical as I thought -> for my uses. At this time, I much prefer using a tube amp to do what I like :idk:

• Members

The older blue ones were quite good, though for some reason I liked the floor pedal (SE) more on its own!!!

The amp mentioned on the OP can be "good" for some tones but otherwise {censored} for others. And too small for anything other than practice. To actually expect for a mediocre minus super small chinese amp to gain in used value is...

Pretty damn good move for vox to discontinue them if they really did that, compared to the newer modelling amps. I'd like to see them come up with a new more complete line (P.S. they suck my tech21 trademark 10's cock for core sound for practice. You can say 10 goes for inches in this case).

• Members

PS I'm not new here,
I just left after all the bellends joined.

come on it has not got any worse. You have a modelling amp they do not gain in value. I have owned several including line6 and a fractal audio AXE-FX.

Unless its a classic like a JCM800 amps do not gain that much in value. It certainly isn't a dumble.

All I can suggest is put it on Ebay or Gumtree and see what you get for it.

Archived