Car guys, whats the best fuel injector cleaner?

SexWithRobots

• Members

what was the gas contaminated with?

using premium isn't going to do anything but hurt your wallet, so don't bother with that.

if i were going to do anything, i'd run it down to about 5 gallons of gas in the tank and dump in a can of seafoam or marvel mystery oil and run it down to near empty. :idk: i suspect that any top end cleaner would work, really.

• Members

so...........without breaking down your engine and examining your injectors.........and assuming you would recognize damage if you saw it........and then A/B'ing that against another set of injectors (that has had similar useage) that used another cleaner.......and, of course, you'd need a third set of injectors that used no cleaner at all for baseline.........how does one say one brand is "better" than another?

• Members

so...........without breaking down your engine and examining your injectors.........and assuming you would recognize damage if you saw it........and then A/B'ing that against another set of injectors (that has had similar useage) that used another cleaner.......and, of course, you'd need a third set of injectors that used no cleaner at all for baseline.........how does one say one brand is "better" than another?

Can't say which product is empirically better, but I've used SeaFoam with reasonable success, and have had less success with other products. At one point, I'd pulled a rack of carbs twice, cleaning them by hand each time, still having little to no luck getting a problem motorcycle to run right. At my Dad's suggestion, I reluctantly ran a can of SeaFoam through the gas tank - and the bike ran like a top. Can't say it's the best, but I can say it works.

• Members

Seafoam Motor Treatment

Amsoil Pi

BG 44K

Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner

General Motors (Same as Techron)

Lucas Fuel Treatment

Marvel Mystery Oil

Berryman B12 Chemtool

Redline SL1 Complete

Gumout Regane

Most modern gasoline formulations contain sufficient detergents to render regular fuel injector cleaner treatment superfluous and a waste of money. Adding treatments prior to 50,000 miles is a waste of money. Most fuel/oil additives on the market are, simply put, garbage. Chemically, most Injector Cleaners are mostly kerosene. The better injector cleaners are either stoddard solvent based or a PEA. BG 44 has both stoddard and PEA in the mix but is not near as concentrated as it once was. BG sell their products through repair shops, and the technicians, service advisors and managers get kickbacks for everything they sell. BG puts a proof-of-use device, usually a plastic disc, in their cans. The tech collects these discs and trades them in to the BG rep for cash. Each disc is worth one dollar. BG

• Members

It's also a good idea to use a top tier fuel such as Chevron, Texaco or Shell. If you don't use a top tier fuel, then you want to use a cleaner every 3,000 miles. Replace your fuel filter every 30,000 miles, if possible.

Curious as to why that is? My friend works at a local fuel depot that distributes fuel to our region (unloads off ship to huge storage tanks).

From what happens around here....there really should be no difference in contaminants in reg vs premium fuels....and that is afterall what the fuel filter does...it captures particles of dirt in the fuel.....I would hazzard a guess that the vast majority are dust/debrise from fueling up and rust particles from condensation caused rust inside the gas tank.

• Members

Seafoam is the best product I've used. If you've ever torn down a motor you know the pistons get baked on black carbon buildup. An engine that's had regular treatments of Seafoam will look very clean compared to one that hasn't.

• Members

Curious as to why that is? My friend works at a local fuel depot that distributes fuel to our region (unloads off ship to huge storage tanks).

From what happens around here....there really should be no difference in contaminants in reg vs premium fuels....and that is afterall what the fuel filter does...it captures particles of dirt in the fuel.....I would hazzard a guess that the vast majority are dust/debrise from fueling up and rust particles from condensation caused rust inside the gas tank.

Top Tier basically establishes standards for fuel additives, gas station tank quality, and gas station filters. http://www.toptiergas.com/

Most of the particles that build up on the bottom of the fuel tank come from poor quality tanks at gas stations.

• Members

Alright well BP fed up and people's cars are dying not starting and idling rough as a result of their contamination so what you suggest for that particular problem.

Dump out your gas tank, if the stuff is so bad its probably best.

Otherwise try some Heet(for removing water), some serious octane booster(like the 104 octane booster stuff in case the octane is too low), and some Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner(literally made a chain saw i had go from not running at all to running great) followed by filling up your tank with as much new gas as you can get in it.

Anybody know what it was contaminated with?

• Members

Alright well BP fed up and people's cars are dying not starting and idling rough as a result of their contamination so what you suggest for that particular problem.

Best to drain as much of the gas in your tank as possible.........old days tanks had a drain plug on bottom.....now, doubtful...so you may need to purchase a transfer pump (NON ELECTRIC!!!!) and gas can..transfer as much gas out as possible....then add fresh good gas to tank along with some Seafoam (follow directions on can)...all will be OK.

• Members

Seriously? If BP gave you bad gas you can sue them for a new car. It's no different than if I bought aspirin with cyanide in it. The manufacturer is liable for all damages.

Personally I doubt very much that your car got any bad gas in it. Probably just your imagination running wild.

:idk:

• Members

so do you just dump seafoam into your gas tank?

Yes. It will treat up to 25gal of gas per can. I've found that on an older engine to speed up the cleaning cycle I let it get down to about 1/4 of a tank then pour in the seafoam and fill back up when the light comes on with a fresh tank and more seafoam. It only take a couple of runs like this and it's pretty clean. Otherwise it takes several tanks with seafoam to do the same thing.

• Members

Yes. It will treat up to 25gal of gas per can. I've found that on an older engine to speed up the cleaning cycle I let it get down to about 1/4 of a tank then pour in the seafoam and fill back up when the light comes on with a fresh tank and more seafoam. It only take a couple of runs like this and it's pretty clean. Otherwise it takes several tanks with seafoam to do the same thing.

Awesome, thank you. i have 2007 ford explorer and just want to/need to keep it for as long as possible.

• Members

AG Investigates BP Gas Recall

Company: 2.1 Million Gallons Of Bad Gas Distributed

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Attorney General's Office announced Wednesday that it has opened an investigation into the BP gasoline recall.

A batch of regular gas sent to BP stations and other retail outlets in northwestern Indiana caused car trouble for some motorists.

The company said that is believes 2.1 million gallons of gas that was made at BP's facility in Whiting from Aug. 13 to 17 contained a "higher than normal level of polymeric residue."

Motorists who filled up with the tainted gas reported hard starting, engine shaking, illuminated check engine lights or inability to start their cars.

Customers of Luke Oil, Thornton's and other retailers received shipment of the gas in question. It was not believed the gas was sent to stations in central Indiana. Ricker's, a local retailer that carries BP gas, said none of its stores were affected.

"Our office opened an investigation regarding the BP gasoline recall in order to protect the significant number of consumers impacted," Attorney General Greg Zoeller said in a news release. "We are closely monitoring the response by BP and will be reviewing their claims and reimbursement processes."

Consumers who bought fuel in northwest Indiana and are experiencing car problems should call BP at 800-333-3991 or send an email to bpconsum@bp.com

Consumers can also file a complaint with the AG at indianaconsumer.com or at 800-382-5516.

Archived