Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucius
    started a topic We have cancelled our Cable subscription eeek

We have cancelled our Cable subscription eeek

Not sure how I feel about not having cable but we'll give it a try. The boys basically just watch the netflix on the rare occassion they do watch. Guess we'll have to try getting and US IP to get the US netflix (I hear it is better the the Canadian version). Anyone else cable free? Cheers, Lucius

• NixerX
    replied
    We've been cable free for a few years now. Don't really miss it. We do the Netflix thing and she gets her local news from Internet broadcasts from the local channel sites. For the shows I can't wait for there are "ways" to get them. In the end it's a great way to save $1000 a year.

Leave a comment:

• Rock Hardness
    replied
    Cable went in '98...till future wife moved in. Got clean when she discovered Netflix. Use Amazon for the Must See A.S.A.P stuff (B.Bad, Walking Dead, Futurama, wifey's Dr. Who). It's up for download in 24 hours - I just avoid the Spoiler threads

Side note: Wife lost her wallet at work thursday night. Cancelled all her cards and got a new license. Someone found it and handed it to her when she returned again on friday. No debit card = no W.D. on Amazon this week - jonsing hard!... till my bro showed me his DL of this weeks clip. (yes, I stole it...I feel guilty and cheap)

Leave a comment:

• linthat22
    replied
    Not sure how I feel about not having cable but we'll give it a try. The boys basically just watch the netflix on the rare occassion they do watch. Guess we'll have to try getting and US IP to get the US netflix (I hear it is better the the Canadian version). Anyone else cable free? Cheers, Lucius

Lucius, you picked a perfect time to cut cable TV. I cut the cord since 2003 and since then, you now have more online streaming options. Back in the day, it was DVD'S, music, books, or video games. Now you have the ability to pick and choose.

You'll live and be fine. You'll eventually find the time for the gaps you lost to ****************ty programming and be more productive.

Leave a comment:

• NewRiggins
    replied
    To be fair, I don't think you can really say you dumped cable, when you stream all your shows on broadband to make up for it....I mean let's be realistic..

The $60 a month that I'm not paying anymore says otherwise...

Leave a comment:

• Sillypeoples
    replied
    To be fair, I don't think you can really say you dumped cable, when you stream all your shows on broadband to make up for it....I mean let's be realistic..

I dumped broadband about 6 mos ago...currently have the most basic of cable so my wife gets channels from her homeland. I watch DVDs and Big Bang Theory.

DVDs are starting to go bye bye...and I am just about ready to go get a gym membership and do what I did when I didn't have cable, internet, email, forums, and all that other media bull****************....get out of the house...

Leave a comment:

• NewRiggins
    replied
    I cancelled my cable 2 1/2 years ago but they forgot to actually turn it off.

2 years and counting here too. I figure it's because we have our internet service from them as well. They'd have to actually send someone out to put a filter on our line or something.
    If I ever have to call for service on the modem or anything I figure they'll probably shut it off then.

Leave a comment:

• sufidancer
    replied
    I cancelled mine about a year ago. I'm still alive. I get the ball games, PBS, and Netflix anything else.

Leave a comment:

• fortress55
    replied
    I cancelled Cable me too but i have to subscribe again for my kids.. All the stuff i'm listening too, i'm listening through internet.. I rarely open the TV.. Maybe to watch some Hockey game here and there that's it.. Today, its a waste of money if you have internet and know where to look to find your favorite tv show

Leave a comment:

• FuelGTRX
    replied
    I finally dropped cable almost 2 months ago. I don't really miss anything, except for football, but I rarely watch that at home, anyway. I usually watch the game at a buddy's house or the local pub.

I've been much less of a couch-potato without cable. I have to put a bit more thought in finding something to watch on Netflix, so I only watch when I really want to, not just because it's there.

Of course, I'm way behind on new shows, but I've never really scheduled my life around TV shows anyhow. Usually I'm so behind, I forget spoilers my friends told me when I finally get to the episode in question So I really don't mind being behind.

Leave a comment:

• Thurston
    replied
    I could probably do this except for sports (NFL), but I could just as easily watch at a friend's house. My girlfriend could not live without the housewives **************** on Bravo.

Leave a comment:

• Harvest
    replied
    Haven't had cable for about 7 years (well I technically had basic cable at my last rental place but didn't have the cable box to actually watch it).

Private tracker and/or Icefilms for me. Shows are usually up within an hour after they air, with no commercials I might add. For sports I either walk over to the bar (1/2 a block) or don't bother and catch highlights later. With no hockey this year (most likely) it's not a big deal. Almost no TV networks broadcast online here, and US networks are blocked so that's not an option. TSN and CTV do, but they use that stupid antiquated Silverlight plugin

Leave a comment:

• Cropduster
    replied
    Cable and satellite free for 5 years and the kids grades went through the roof. Just use a Roku - love it when we all want to watch something.

Leave a comment:

• 3volved
    replied
    Local sports and the missus usually stop me from giving it up. Other than sports, I don't watch ANYTHING on TV that I would miss, or couldn't get from the networks' own websites, netflix, or hulu plus.

The missus watches all kinds of dumb **************** that she apparently can't live without, so . . .

I'm in the same boat. If it weren't for the wife and kids thinking they need their pointless shows I'd be saving another $80 a month. Oh well...still saving about $100/month over cable with DirecTV.

Leave a comment:

• The Anomaly
    replied
    Local sports and the missus usually stop me from giving it up. Other than sports, I don't watch ANYTHING on TV that I would miss, or couldn't get from the networks' own websites, netflix, or hulu plus.

The missus watches all kinds of dumb **************** that she apparently can't live without, so . . .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X