We have cancelled our Cable subscription eeek

Lucius

• Members

Not sure how I feel about not having cable but we'll give it a try. The boys basically just watch the netflix on the rare occassion they do watch. Guess we'll have to try getting and US IP to get the US netflix (I hear it is better the the Canadian version). Anyone else cable free? Cheers, Lucius

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've thought about doing this several times before, including recently, but haven't been able to actually give it up. We watch Netflix mostly, but every time I consider cancelling cable, there is an excuse.

Football season is here, after all.

• Members

Cancelled cable about 6 months ago. I have a lot of supplemental stuff though. Netflix, hulu plus, amazon prime (not because of the video service, but included here anyway), and an antenna (free).

I still save about 40 bucks a month over having cable, and i'm more than happy.

• Members

My dad forgot to pay the cable bill back in 2002 and then decided that 'you kids watch too much TV anyways', so I've been without it since. There's still a couple of channels you can pick up with the old-fashioned bunny ears, so that covers most of my needs. Luckily I can watch hockey on Saturday nights (which does mean that you miss a fair number of games) and there's usually at least one NFL game on on Sundays. I don't really watch any other sports, so I'm covered.

For TV shows there are a myriad sites that may or may not host gigabytes of content.

• Members

I tried it for about a month. OTA Digital works fine, but, it doesn't static/snow like the old analog stuff - it either jitters (at best) or drops out completely (often)

After about a month of that, I decided to go back to some form of TV piped to the house - cheapest cable is local channels only that runs around $20/mo. Me, I'm paying around $190/mo for AT&T Uverse U450 + stuff like Palladia, and 18MB/sec internet...no phone service in that - I have T-Mobile for my and her cell at $65/mo (total) for that...

• Members

I stopped a couple of years ago. Cable is so bad now its just ridiculous. With the internet, netflix, redbox, dvd's I have already, and video games, and my friend trying to convince me to watch Game of Thrones I'm more than good on video entertainment.

These LCD's are hurting my eyes.

• Members

I've been cable free for about 5 years. I just didn't see the point in paying for 200 channels when
I only watched 5 of them
. BTW, Icefilms is your friend
;)

Yeah no {censored}. Why can't they just sell me a few channels for a few bucks? Like maybe 5 for $10 a month. They can turn individual channels on and off like HBO. I have a hard time believing that they can't just do that with all channels. Its like they want us to believe that computers don't exist and it would be too much work to keep up with all of that. BS!

• Members

Yeah no {censored}. Why can't they just sell me a few channels for a few bucks? Like maybe 5 for $10 a month. They can turn individual channels on and off like HBO. I have a hard time believing that they can't just do that with all channels. Its like they want us to believe that computers don't exist and it would be too much work to keep up with all of that. BS!

It's not like they negotiate with individual channels. They get them in packages much like you do. Just look at the DirecTV fiasco from a month or two ago.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by carvinlegacy99

View Post

I wish this is how is worked. I'd be on board if I could only get like 4-5 select cable channels.

• Members

They might have to eventually try to work something out because I know lots of ppl who have given up on cable. The main problem is how bad the programming is. Its like almost every show is some (fake) reality show just because they don't want to spend money to make something worth watching.

• Members

But if you think about it, everything eventually will just stream through the internet and cable providers will be obsolete. So we are just like ahead of everyone else with the whole dropping cable thing. I've always considered us to be, ya know, ahead of the game, maybe trend setters, not trend followers.

{censored} cable.

• Members

But if you think about it, everything eventually will just stream through the internet and cable providers will be obsolete. So we are just like ahead of everyone else with the whole dropping cable thing. I've always considered us to be, ya know, ahead of the game, maybe trend setters, not trend followers.

{censored} cable.

Archived