No announcement yet.

We have cancelled our Cable subscription eeek

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**************** cable

Netflix & a VPN to fool the country restrictions is alot cheaper and provides me with I want to watch.
    (Personal footnote: I'm 56, and a lot of things don't work so great anymore. The wrist is one example. Another is my Johnson, which doesn't fire up like it used to. Sometimes it hardly works at all. A year ago it actually backfired. The guy at the outboard motor repair shop where I bring it says this is common with an old Johnson.)

Comment

I've been contemplating kicking cable to the curb for a little over a year now. I was going to cancel it in May of last year, but I lost my job then and figured I needed something to keep me occupied while sitting around the house all day After 6 months of unemployment, I began to hate television. Not because of the shows, but because of all the damn recycled commercials! I'm sorry Montel, I do not want a pay-day loan! No Sarah, I will not let you guilt trip me about stray pets! No Been Verified, I do not want to hear your smug pregnant spokeswomen talk about back ground checks! And for the last time, I don't want any Flex-Seal!!!!!!!!

Now that I have a steady job, a new band, and more income to go out a do things, I usually only watch TV about an hour a day at the most. I just need to cut cable out, get something to stream Netflix in the bedroom (already have it on my blu-ray player in the living room), and be done. That extra $60 a month would be nice as well.
      Jet Setter

CURRENT RIG:
      2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
      2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (SD PG set)
      Jet City JCA100H
      Mojo 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks
      lots 'o pedals

CURRENT BAND:
      The Medicine Years
      https://soundcloud.com/themedicineyears

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by scratchie
        View Post

**************** cable

Netflix & a VPN to fool the country restrictions is alot cheaper and provides me with I want to watch.

What do you use for an IP masker? There is a site in the states for $5 a month that i've been looking into. Cheers, Lucius
        Good transactions with: Brewski, gtpfbod, Xenoanthropus, wassupg,NickCormier, Ben J , Skyhighrocks, JonathanD, gooman, UVguy, Rho, Erocku, warplanegrey, exilea, Jerryp, Mogwai, thefyn, guitarslinger, Mr Scary, madrigal77,Dark Aegis, a few others that have slipped my mind.

FS: Mesa Dual Rec - SOLD! To the man with the big green shoes!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brady
          View Post

This is why cable companies would like to put a cap on your bandwidth if you use them as a cable and internet provider. Lots of people are dropping the cable service and using streaming entertainment instead and it's cutting into their business.

I know, I felt like we went back to 1995 when I heard about this. I wonder how much it will actually affect folks, though. I think they were talking about 80gb a month, and that's really a good bit if you think about it. Still, especially if you've got a family with kids, you could easily go over that cap even if you're paying for cable. I feel they should find a better way to adjust to the changing times.
          GIBSON | PRS | SQUIER | EPIPHONE | BLACKSTAR | PEAVEY | MARSHALL | JET CITY | CRATE (ZOMG!!!)

The Band

Good Transactions

Originally Posted by Ovid9

I thought it was more the fact your walls were covered in pictures of skinny guys with long hair.

How did you fap in a room like that?

Proud owner of the first NAD of the new HC

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brady
            View Post

This is why cable companies would like to put a cap on your bandwidth if you use them as a cable and internet provider. Lots of people are dropping the cable service and using streaming entertainment instead and it's cutting into their business.

I know, I felt like we went back to 1995 when I heard about this. I wonder how much it will actually affect folks, though. I think they were talking about 80gb a month, and that's really a good bit if you think about it. Still, especially if you've got a family with kids, you could easily go over that cap even if you're paying for cable. I feel they should find a better way to adjust to the changing times.
            GIBSON | PRS | SQUIER | EPIPHONE | BLACKSTAR | PEAVEY | MARSHALL | JET CITY | CRATE (ZOMG!!!)

The Band

Good Transactions

Originally Posted by Ovid9

I thought it was more the fact your walls were covered in pictures of skinny guys with long hair.

How did you fap in a room like that?

Proud owner of the first NAD of the new HC

Comment

My 2 years with Directv is up in Oct...I only have it for Premier Soccer and MMA...And you have to have a certain tier to get a sports package...Then you have to order the sports package. Then you have to order Fox Soccer Plus. Plus HD...Plus showtime for MMA...

It's $130 a god damn month!!!! Directv/Murdoch knows how to make you pay through the ass for everything you love.

I can't give it up though. Directv/Fox does have amazing programming/cameras/production/image quality etc. I have a home theater with a 90 inch HD projector and it looks friken amazing. So I do get my moneys worth. Grudgingly.
              Check out my band "Tock" Debut album coming out soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoQgpMooyY

Comment

Tell me a bit about Justin TV? Can you actually watch live sports? What is the quality like?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston
                  View Post

Tell me a bit about Justin TV? Can you actually watch live sports? What is the quality like?

Yes, you can watch live sports. Most of the sports are kept on the down low though because they get shut down if discovered. The one I use for hockey actually has a password to get in. As far as quality, it depends on the streamer. It ranges from HD to really ****************ty . Even the HD ones aren't quite TV broadcast quality, but it's still pretty good, and for free, I can't complain.
                  Originally Posted by James Hetfield

I AM THE TABLE!!

Guitars:
                  LTD EC256:EMG's, Tonepros, Grovers
                  Agile PS900 Blue Flame
                  Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
                  Amps:
                  EVH 5150 III 100w
                  EVH 5150 III 4x12
                  Effects:
                  POD HD300
                  MXR 10 Band EQ

Good Transactions: cadfael, kev324, sahlomonic, Lucius

Comment

I still have it, well Direct TV @ my place, so that I have sports to watch while doing cardio. Yes when I'm groaning through high resistance intervals, any sporting event helps.

Right now it is the US Open or NFL Channel. Before that it was the Tennis Channel and the Olympics. Before that the NHL playoffs and the Tennis Channel. Anything physical competition that I can pick sides on helps me take my mind off what I have left to do and I actually work harder the more involved I am with the event.

Outside of that time (no more than 2.5 hours), I only watch Netflix.

Derek

Comment

It is possible for some people not to watch any television
                      Guitars: Godin Session CB, Larrivee D-05, Ibanez RG, Hagstrom Swede
                      Amps/Cabs: Fargen Miniplex MKII, Egnater Tweaker, Fender Mustang III, Mills Afterburner 4x12

Good deals: Dimebag11, guitarslinger, ThePunisherTF, Wayne87mott, Kev324, zack, alaskaehlers, c2ply, ak37, droptrd, dboy5150, dropthisd, rbasaria, Shooto, Jon Hiller, DoubleBarrel, BabyDaddy, Edge11, bdhn, the gunslinger

"Hi, I'm Yesterday...and today I am looking for Tomorrow"- Maina

Comment

It is possible for some people not to watch any television

But what will you point the furniture at?
                        "You're perfect yes it's true, but without me you're only you"

Comment

What do you use for an IP masker? There is a site in the states for $5 a month that i've been looking into. Cheers, Lucius

I use this VPN https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

All you do is pick a US gateway and Bob's your uncle.
                          (Personal footnote: I'm 56, and a lot of things don't work so great anymore. The wrist is one example. Another is my Johnson, which doesn't fire up like it used to. Sometimes it hardly works at all. A year ago it actually backfired. The guy at the outboard motor repair shop where I bring it says this is common with an old Johnson.)

Comment

I'd have a very hard time going without NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv. The thing that sucks is I only watch a couple other channels (my guilty pleasure channels: Food Network and Cooking Channel, I don't think there is a replacement viewing option for them but I could be wrong). I really don't watch much else. When I can get a live, HD replacement for Sunday Ticket then cutting Directv would certainly be an option.
                            My YouTube Channel -- Videos From Shows I Have Attended

Comment

How do you guys get around the bandwidth caps instituted by ISP's?
                              Recipient of the HCAF Nobel Piece Prize

Comment

I haven't had cable in three years. If I want to watch something, I have a Netflix account. Until last spring, I didn't even own a television, but came across a deal for a 32" flatscreen that I actually used as a computer monitor for awhile. Television is for schmucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X