Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I wire my 2x12 for 4 or 16 ohms?

Got the new 2x12 in, and it's getting a pair of 8 ohm speakers. Looks like I can wire them parallel at 4 ohms, and series at 16 ohms. Currently wired in parallel, just because that's how the cab showed up, but I'm thinking about switching it up. Does HCAF have a preference? Should it matter?
    I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

4 ohms sounds(feels) better imnsho. Less damping and control = more bass.

16 ohm will work better with your head if you decide to use multiple cabs. Most amp outputs are wired in parallel...and generally 4 ohm is as low as they go.
    Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

The differences are fairly subtle, but all else being equal I'd prefer the 4 ohms slightly over the 16, as evidenced by the way my own main cab (a 2x12 with two 8 ohm speakers) is wired.

Comment

What amp will you be using with it?
        strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

depends on the amp.

I like multiple cabs, so 16 ohms works better for me most of the time.

However, I've been running across more and more amps with no 16 ohm tap (my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia)
          BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER
          Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.

Comment

http://www.instructables.com/id/SIMPLE-ParallelSeries-Select-Switch/?ALLSTEPS
            Here's another option
            There can never be a perfect plan. What's perfect for one human bean ain't perfect for the next one. Cuz he's a lentil.

Comment

http://www.instructables.com/id/SIMPLE-ParallelSeries-Select-Switch/?ALLSTEPS
              Here's another option

I used to recommend this as well.

BUT...if you're dealing with the out put from a tube amp (which is relatively fragile with regards to resistance) and switches (which can fail open)...it's too easy to fry an output transformer.

UNLESS....

You wire in the switch, hit standby before switching (cab ohm AND AMP OHM)...AND THEN REMOVE the switch once you've determined which sound you prefer.

I wouldn't leave a switched cabinet hooked up to an amp. Bad times waiting to happen.
              Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

2 8 ohm outs and one 16 out in the same box.
                Jca 50h/ 100h/ 22h Mod thread and Owners Club
                Jca20H Mod thread and owners club
                Like me on facebook
                Follow me on twitter

Comment

This is what I'd do:

http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Planning to use this with an Egnater Tweaker, not super interested in bothering with a switch. I guess I'm just curious how running it either way will affect the sound.
                    I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

Comment

Planning to use this with an Egnater Tweaker, not super interested in bothering with a switch. I guess I'm just curious how running it either way will affect the sound.

very minimal difference. I can't hear any difference to be honest but some people claim they can so...
                      http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

4 ohms sounds(feels) better imnsho. Less damping and control = more bass.

You know, I find the complete opposite with my gear. I have 3 cabs total. All are 8 ohms, two of them being 4x12
                        Facebook SoundCloudGood Deals with; STEELKAGE, LenDuffy, Yo_Squig, theemarkmiller and others I've forgottenSPAMDimarzio Paf Pro red- 30$ Shipped(one thread is worn)Ampeg VH140C

Comment

Working...
                        X