Quick EVH 5150 III 50w question!

rockappalla

• Members

Does the headphone jack mute the speaker outputs? has it got some sort of built in power soak? (just like the Blackstar HT-5)

That would be a great feature for me, so at home I coud just plug a headphone jack to mute the speaker outputs, getting the preamp from the effects send and use a cab impulse...

• Members

The speaker outputs are shorted whenever there's no cable plugged into the head, and the outputs are muted when plugged into the headphone output too. I use it without a cabinet all the time and haven't had a problem yet.

Great, thank you!! Do you know if this feature is on the 100w too?

• Members

The designer of the amp said on TGP that you can run the 50 watt head through phones without a cab hooked up, as Dehumanize said.

The headphone output is just the preamp into an EQ filter to mimic a cab. I have used it in combination with the preamp out to record, using the headphone out as an easy latency free reference tone while recording the preamp DI to add impulses later.

• Members

I wouldn't do it with other Fender amplifiers, despite him saying that. But, he specifically told me it would be safe to run without a cabinet with the 50w, so that's what I've been doing and haven't had trouble yet. It does say in the manual to always have a cabinet connected, however. I was told that was a safety precaution in case someone thought that meant to unplug from the cabinet but leave the cable plugged into the head, or any other sort of nonsense like that.

• Members

I wouldn't do it with other Fender amplifiers, despite him saying that. But, he specifically told me it would be safe to run without a cabinet with the 50w, so that's what I've been doing and haven't had trouble yet. It does say in the manual to always have a cabinet connected, however. I was told that was a safety precaution in case someone thought that meant to unplug from the cabinet but leave the cable plugged into the head, or any other sort of nonsense like that.

Thanks! That's pretty much where I'm coming from (the manual + uses w/ other different tube amps).

I recall an EVH interview though where he had no speaker load on the 100 watt head (when that one first came out) & the head survived. It'd be nice if all amp builders built this safety feature into their amps (unless they're all starting to)!

• Members

Does the headphone jack mute the speaker outputs? has it got some sort of built in power soak? (just like the Blackstar HT-5)

I owned an HT-5 for a couple years - I'm pretty sure you still needed to have a speaker load plugged in even when using headphones with it. Maybe the newer version with reverb is different :idk:

• Members

I owned an HT-5 for a couple years - I'm pretty sure you still needed to have a speaker load plugged in even when using headphones with it (no power soak/built-in load or anything). Maybe the newer version with reverb is different :idk:

• Members

I owned an HT-5 for a couple years - I'm pretty sure you still needed to have a speaker load plugged in even when using headphones with it (no power soak/built-in load or anything). Maybe the newer version with reverb is different
:idk:

Well, I had the cab plugged in, but when I plugged headphones in there was no sound from the cab, that was my question...

Archived