Celestion Classic Lead 80 Spkr?

Rand-O-Monium

• Members

If V30s are sugar, CL80s are Splenda. Tight low end, no real prevalent frequencies.

I believe Scott Ian used them when he played Marshalls.

Awe c'mon hotcakes. That's a biased opinion. Sure they're flatter with rolled of highs but that works well with certain applications. My GH50 is very middy with infamous treble. It'd probably balance the amp out pretty good.. which is why i'm gonna try them some day.

• Members

well, i hate v30s because they're awful sounding, nasal, flabby, and honky as {censored}, while they bust the enamel on your teeth. {censored} that speaker.

cl80's give what they get, don't screech, are absolutely eq'able, and have an honest full frequency representation without turning to mud ever. one of my absolute favorites.

• Members

Of the Celestion speakers I have tried it has been one of my favorites. It is fairly neutral, but it has character still. I should note that I got some of my best recorded tones with my Marshall amps with that speaker!

Seriously, this speaker doesn't get enough attention in my opinion. Also, I recommend using them in a tighter style cab. I had them in an Avatar Traditional cab that seemed to vibrate a bit too much for me. However, after I reinforced that cab, these speakers responded much more nicely. I would recommend putting them in a solidly built cab!

Cole

• Members

CL80's are a great speaker, probably my favourite celestion. Very balanced and once broken in they provide a quality that other import celestions find it hard to match. I borrowed a CL80 loaded 1960a when i was running a GH50l and i think it was the best its ever sounded. Not as aggressive as a K100 or V30, but much less "fatiguing" to listen to.

• Members

CL80's are a great speaker, probably my favourite celestion. Very balanced and once broken in they provide a quality that other import celestions find it hard to match. I borrowed a CL80 loaded 1960a when i was running a GH50l and i think it was the best its ever sounded. Not as aggressive as a K100 or V30, but much less "fatiguing" to listen to.

Good to hear Timmy. I'll give them a shot sometime in the next year with my GH50, which was already in the plan, but your post makes me confident that it's worth a shot.

• Members

cl80's give what they get, don't screech, are absolutely eq'able, and have an honest full frequency representation without turning to mud ever. one of my absolute favorites.

Pretty much that. I'm running a CL80 2x12 and love them. They don't have the spikiness of V30s, but they've got a nice full mid-range, tight low end, and there's treble but it's not harsh and irritating.

• Members

yeah the CL80's are one of the best speakers for the GH.

• Members

Neutral sounding. tight big lows. Smooth mids & a not too spikey top. One of the best celestions you can get. Ive tried my mc90's (same speaker except the CL80 version isnt vented) with lots of amps & have not heard one they sounded bad with. Good for many styles.

• Members

My Mark V has one it is vented and made in UK.....Very nice speaker. Cannot understand the people who diss it.......must have ears packed with shit?????:confused:

I A/B'd it with a Jet City cab (2x12) I had...and it SLAYED the Eminece speakers in that thing. (I realize that isn't saying much).

• Members

My Mark V has one it is vented and made in UK.....Very nice speaker. Cannot understand the people who diss it.......must have ears packed with shit?????
:confused:

I A/B'd it with a Jet City cab (2x12) I had...and it SLAYED the Eminece speakers in that thing. (I realize that isn't saying much).

As far as I can tell, those Eminence speakers basically work for that Soldano-y kind of thing and not much else. My CL80s are in a Jet City 2x12 cab. The Eminence speakers weren't too bad if I dialed in an SLO type sound, but that's not a sound I normally use. For what I do, they were pretty much horrible. Which is pretty much what I was expecting. I needed a cheap cab quickly and basically assumed I'd want to swap the speakers. If I actually ran a JC amp, probably wouldn't have minded them. :idk:

Archived