I really hate not being in a band or even having people I can jam with...

Spaced Out Ace

• Members

Bedroom playing with a Fryette isn't much fun at all. It's not inspiring to play an amp that's being choked just so people won't bitch at you about the noise and unless you push Eminence speakers, they sound kinda lifeless as well. Hopefully I can find something in Texas [as in a band or even a group of people to jam with] as there's a strong possibility I might be moving there in the next year or so.

The problem is, though, that I'm getting the urge to do other things with my playing, like maybe trying my hand at recording, but I'm too lazy and broke to get recording {censored} like monitors, interface, a good mic, etc. Oh, and the icing on the cake: even if I wanted to trade or sell my gear, my local CL flat out sucks and I'd rather not ship an amp or cab. At least in Texas, I might be able to find people with better gear who'd want to trade. Ask some of the guys from the HCAF group about my local CL... most of the {censored} listed is garbage and if it isn't, it's WAYYY overpriced.

I've been playing 10 years or so, and have never felt this frustrated to the point of giving up on guitar and taking up another hobby, hopefully one that's quiet [but what fun are those? :idk:] All in all, it's really pushing me to want to quit. :cry:

So what the hell should I do HCAF? Besides murder/suicide, that is... :lol:

/firstworldmusicianproblems #latenightboredom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I havent been in a badnd since 2010.
:(

I'm currently going to a pretty good open jam at a nearby bar. it's moetly older hippies, but that's cool, it teaches me to be less judmental.

You just judged them as being hippies. :cop:

In all seriousness, that sucks. And I don't think they'll appreciate me Wade_keys-in' it up with a metal amp while a bunch of older guys play top 40s, country, or blues. Then again, TrAIDSmark is able to play "country" with pointy guitars, so :idk:...

• Members

run an ad on your local CL looking for a band. It might take a while to find the right guys, but hey CL is free anyway. Also you might want to consider to get a cheaper amp and some recording gear with the difference.

Judging by the gear sold on my local CL, running an ad for a band doesn't seem too promising, though I do appreciate the help. I also don't see the point in starting anything when I plan to leave in a year or so if things go well and don't think I'd have the time to put in for a worthwhile band. Basically, it'd be selfish of me and unfair to them. Oh, did I mention that my city has zero places for live groups to play at to get any sort of following? There are a couple dive bars, but that isn't gonna go anywhere.

And I'm actually kinda tempted to get a :snax: or at the very least, a nice amp that sounds good at lower volumes and sounds rib-crushing at louder volumes.

• Members

Judging by the gear sold on my local CL, running an ad for a band doesn't seem too promising, though I do appreciate the help. I also don't see the point in starting anything when I plan to leave in a year or so if things go well and don't think I'd have the time to put in for a worthwhile band. Basically, it'd be selfish of me and unfair to them. Oh, did I mention that my city has zero places for live groups to play at to get any sort of following? There are a couple dive bars, but that isn't gonna go anywhere.

And I'm actually kinda tempted to get a
:snax:
or at the very least, a nice amp that sounds good at lower volumes and sounds rib-crushing at louder volumes.

well put an ad looking for someone to jam with while you're then, even if it's just a drummer or another guitar player, it makes a difference.

And yeah, something like the Snax would be cool, but even a Digitech 1101 would be more than enough for home recording, and you can still get some recording gear and maybe even something like a VTM or Peavey Ultra for loud jamming...

Get into home recording these year and start to develop some ideas, write some {censored} and next year when you move you will have plenty of material to show to a prospective band.

• Members

well put an ad looking for someone to jam with while you're then, even if it's just a drummer or another guitar player, it makes a difference.

And yeah, something like the Snax would be cool, but even a Digitech 1101 would be more than enough for home recording, and you can still get some recording gear and maybe even something like a VTM or Peavey Ultra for loud jamming...

Get into home recording these year and start to develop some ideas, write some {censored} and next year when you move you will have plenty of material to show to a prospective band.

Might end up putting an ad up, but even so, they'd need a place for us to jam at, otherwise that'd probably compound the problem of being too loud. As for drummers, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty certain every drummer in town is in a band. Also, Yakima's kind of a seedy place and meth'll make you do crazy things, like go to your jam partners house and rob all of his gear while he's off at work or whatever just to get a fix. That and some people would probably do it just to have nicer {censored}. Still gonna look into it, but I'm very weary about meeting just anyone and inviting them to my house.

And if I went with a modeler, I'd probably get an Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 for loud jamming and would only need one cab, preferably a 212. The only thing about the :snax: that's kind of a disappointment is it doesn't have a USB to update or record, but perhaps a Line 6 Toneport would work at least for recording? :idk:

As for that last idea, that's a pretty good idea. The Magnum 44 would probably suffice for loud jamming, I could plug direct to FOH [as least that's what I understand, anyways] with a modeler and even so, a 212 + 2 guitars + a modeler + some sort of power amp would be a lot easier to carry than a 412 and a tube head.

• Members

with a modeler and even so, a 212 + 2 guitars + a modeler + some sort of power amp would be a lot easier to carry than a 412 and a tube head.

Yeah the tone port is fine for recording, you can also look into a cheap interface like the Tascam US-122, I just picked one up for $30 used to leave at my gf's house and it's really cool, not as good as my RME obviously, but definitely good enough for home recording. That, a pair of headphones and a free DAW (reaper, audacity) is enough to get you going.

and yeah you can get a power amp for a modeler, even a tube unit so when you move to Texas you can use it as your live rig as well. Peavey and Carvin tube power amps can be found for $300 all day and they sound great.

• Members

I wouldn't use Craigslist to drum up a band...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that {censored}.

Go to rehearsal studios, and put up a flyer on one of their boards. If you get calls, you've got a much better chance of hooking into a band that's at least already rehearsing.

You overestimate Yakima. Tbh, I'm not even sure if we have a rehearsal studio close by. Our scene is deader than William Holden.

• Members

I wouldn't use Craigslist to drum up a band...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that {censored}.

Go to rehearsal studios, and put up a flyer on one of their boards. If you get calls, you've got a much better chance of hooking into a band that's at least already rehearsing.

I met my bass player on CL 5 years ago, he's my best friend now and we've been through 2 bands together. We found our current drummer on CL and he's been with us for 2 years. Sure, this is in L.A. so of course is easier here, but CL is perfectly fine to find musicians.

• Members

Yeah the tone port is fine for recording, you can also look into a cheap interface like the Tascam US-122, I just picked one up for $30 used to leave at my gf's house and it's really cool, not as good as my RME obviously, but definitely good enough for home recording. That, a pair of headphones and a free DAW (reaper, audacity) is enough to get you going.

and yeah you can get a power amp for a modeler, even a tube unit so when you move to Texas you can use it as your live rig as well. Peavey and Carvin tube power amps can be found for $300 all day and they sound great.

I'd probably have to save up for the power amp, unless I can get a decent chunk of change if I decide to sell my cabs and after I decide on a 212 to pick up. As for something like Toneport, etc., would I be able to just bypass the modeling software that comes with it and use the modeling unit I decide on, or what? I've never used a Toneport before so yeah, I'm pretty n00bish on that front. :lol:

• Members

I met my bass player on CL 5 years ago, he's my best friend now and we've been through 2 bands together. We found our current drummer on CL and he's been with us for 2 years. Sure, this is in L.A. so of course is easier here, but CL is perfectly fine to find musicians.

I'm slightly joking, but I'd be more likely to find some drugged up reprobate who's planning on robbing [and possibly raping] me at a later date. :lol:

• Members

That's pretty cool. My CL is great if you want student trumpets,Starcasters, and an occasional decent Squire.

• Members

Sure, this is in L.A. so of course is easier here

Yep.

Some win, some lose using CL. I just dreaded going through the {censored}ing weeding-out process using it...especially in a place like New York or LA, where it's like playing Chat Roulette with a halfway house.

Best to have a good network where you can get personal referrals; short of that, I'd go where musicians go: rehearsal studios. I personally try to avoid CL if I can help it.

Then again, if there were no other options, you've gotta use it, I suppose.

• Members

That's pretty cool. My CL is great if you want student trumpets,Starcasters, and an occasional decent Squire.

Mine's great if you wanna buy a guitar that's $300 new, advertised as $449 MSRP [like anyone even pays that :facepalm:] and charging $800 for because members of Black Veil Brides, Asking Alexandria, Hollywood Undead and Avenged Sevenfold signed it. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Btw, this is a guitar the person got free because they won it in a contest. Meth is a helluva drug!

• Members

Yep.

Some win, some lose using CL. I just dreaded going through the {censored}ing weeding-out process using it...especially in a place like New York or LA, where it's like playing Chat Roulette with a halfway house.

Best to have a good network where you can get personal referrals; short of that, I'd go where musicians go: rehearsal studios. I personally try to avoid CL if I can help it.

Then again, if there were no other options, you've gotta use it, I suppose.

nah I just call the guy up before setting up a jam and just by talking to the guy for 20 minutes or so I can tell whether the guy is a loser or not. Listen, if you're a musician you need to get out there and interact with people. Just use some common sense and proper precautions and it's fine. What you can't do is sit at home scared of the world out there or wait for a referral or something to fall on your lap. If you don't know anyone, it's hard to get referrals. It's a free site, give it a shot, the worst that can happen is absolutely nothing. Rehearsal studios, music stores etc are also good ideas. :)

• Members

Hey man, if you move to the Austin area, hit me up! The wifey lets me crank my fiddy often, and the neighbors are far enough apart from the house that I can actually turn it up. :thu:

I do feel your pain, though. Both my cover/jam-for-{censored}s-and-giggles band and my prog metal band are on hiatus leaving me to play with myself all the time. :cop:

Once our lead guitarist/head songwriter finishes his studio we'll be back to playing more regularly.

Archived