New .45 Day...

madryan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That looks really nice! Have you done anything to it?

I grabbed a Smith Alexander mag well to replace the stock one because I want to ditch the locking mainspring. I also grabbed a standard GI style recoil plug setup to replace the guide rod so I can break it down with no tools.

Other than that I grabbed 500 rounds of ammo and some extra mags.

• Members

I grabbed a Smith Alexander mag well to replace the stock one because I want to ditch the locking mainspring. I also grabbed a standard GI style recoil plug setup to replace the guide rod so I can break it down with no tools.

Other than that I grabbed 500 rounds of ammo and some extra mags.

Why do you need to disassemble it so much?

• Members

Why do you need to disassemble it so much?

What do you mean?

I hate full length guide rods in a 1911. They're totally unnecessary and just make it so you need tools to break your gun down to clean it. The regular GI recoil plug setup works great and makes taking the thing apart a snap.

I similarly got rid of the key lock mainspring setup because it necessitates a 28lb mainspring which makes the gun function a bit rougher. It's purely one of those "Lawyer Safety" type deals as it's fairly easy to defeat. I'd just prefer the pistol to function the way it was supposed to, and has for 100 years.

• Members

I'm no gun expert but I think the 1911 is the coolest looking pistol of them all, including Glocks, which also look really {censored}ing cool.

When I used to work in a really high end Machine shop I'd build them for fun. Most of the guys working there were avid competition shooters including the owner so I'd do work on everyone's guns and get to use the shop for free.

My old boss still uses a pistol I built him for IDPA.

• Members

Very nice,... I've got 2 Springfield 1911's and love them both. Was thinking about doing the magwell like you did. My favorite thing is the Armory Kote finish. My LW Champion Operator has it and I like it much better than my Range Officer's Parkerized finish.

Good luck with the new 1911.

And while Glocks are functionally very good,.. they are possibly the ugliest guns in the world. And I am a Glock owner as well.

• Members

What do you mean?

I hate full length guide rods in a 1911. They're totally unnecessary and just make it so you need tools to break your gun down to clean it. The regular GI recoil plug setup works great and makes taking the thing apart a snap.

I similarly got rid of the key lock mainspring setup because it necessitates a 28lb mainspring which makes the gun function a bit rougher. It's purely one of those "Lawyer Safety" type deals as it's fairly easy to defeat. I'd just prefer the pistol to function the way it was supposed to, and has for 100 years.

Yeah but you don't want or need to disassemble a properly fit 1911 all that much. Doing so is like firing it hundreds of times.

As long as you keep the barrel/chamber clean.

I make it a point to only have bushingless 1911s. Yeah they're great for WWII combat, but for modern match or target, bushings are just more play in the gun.

• Members

FLG or not, I always pull the slide stop on my 1911s, remove the slide and then worry on breaking down the slide.

For .45acp I completely agree about the FLGR, but on my heavily sprung 10mms and 9x23, the FLG actually makes it easier than the original design... though there is something to be said about finding the plug after it was sent into the next county! :rawk:

Great addition.

My GSP2k from Springfield is still a great gun... 12 years later!

Derek

Archived