The awesome scent of nitrocellulose.

jenksdrummer

• Members

As I posted, yesterday my 2012 LP Standard Plus arrived.

I had forgotten how awesome nitro smells. Seriously...

I get it home, pull my better half into my music room to show it off and within seconds, she starts sniffing the air...WHAT IS THAT AWESOME SMELL?

She's leans over towards me, nope...I told her its the guitar. She looks at me like I'm an idiot - I said - stick your nose over there and inhale. I'm being serious.

Like an Axe Commercial, she goes over to where I have it hanging on the wall, and a light sniff. Then a bigger sniff. Then an exhale, and a long, deep sniff...oh, this smells awesome - like cotton candy mixed with cookies...oh...sniffffffffffffffff....oh, that smells so good!!!

So, why the hell haven't they bottled that {censored} and made it into a unisex cologne?

So, todays joke was "Warning: Gibson Finishes contain Fairy Blood. This message brought to you by True Blood"

[video=youtube;gs2JA42U6B8]

Yeah, CSB...

• Members

As I posted, yesterday my 2012 LP Standard Plus arrived.

I had forgotten how awesome nitro smells. Seriously...

I get it home, pull my better half into my music room to show it off and within seconds, she starts sniffing the air...WHAT IS THAT AWESOME SMELL?

I thought it was some kinda scent they put in the case. It's the nitro???

• Members

THAT's how you kill brain cells, son. Not this new-fangled 'bath salts' shit that screws up your brain chemistry. No sir, you get yourself some vintage 1955 formulation nitrocellulose lacquer and you spray some shit candy apple red. You'll get a buzz even with a respirator on it's so good. Then you sit out on the porch in the sunshine and contemplate how awesome your life is. You got that great smell in your head, and some freshly lacquered shit hanging up in the garage. :thu: That's how we did it when I was your age.

[sneer] Bath salts. Sheeee-yit.

• Members

It's absolutely the guitars
:)

My hands smelled like it all day after playing it at lunch.

The newer the finish, the more the smell. It's awesome.

Well shit. Yeah, my girlfriend at the time was going nuts over the smell. They certainly need to formulate that into a cologne.

• Members

Usually what you are actually smelling is really the case's glue. It permeates the guitar when everything is new.

Nitrocellulose doesn't really have much of a smell when it's hardened. Some guitar picks are still made of nitrocellulose. The tortoise shell ones especially. When I was a kid we used to light them on fire. Sniff one if you want to smell real nitro without glue.

• Members

Usually what you are actually smelling is really the case's glue. It permeates the guitar when everything is new.

Nitrocellulose doesn't really have much of a smell when it's hardened. Some guitar picks are still made of nitrocellulose. The tortoise shell ones especially. When I was a kid we used to light them on fire. Sniff one if you want to smell real nitro without glue.

Yeah. My faded studio with just the gig bag doesn't smell anything like my standard.

Archived