Anyone like hunting here?

Slaymoar

• Members

Hunting season has started up here, I'm going to start planning a few weekends to go out and get me some grouse/partrige. I'm thinking about getting a nice 22 rifle, I'm all about an accurate headshot, and I've been very successful with that caliber. However, I do also want to have a bit more firepower to at least be albe to hunt a bit of a larger game. So now I'm looking at probably getting a 243.. Yes the caliber is overkill for small bird, but I always do headshots so I shouldn't have any waste right? Then at least I can go deer hunting or varmint etc.. Not sure yet, just can't afford two rifles, and I am NOT interested in a shotgun.

:idk:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just made plans to help my buddy clear his land of deer this year. (Need to go buy a bow)

Bought a MuzzleLoader a few weeks ago.

Bought a SS .308 a few weeks before that...because we drew tags for a Wildlife Management Area hunt and we'll have to camp for about 4 days straight...and I'm scared of my nice blue guns getting rusty.

We have a statewide 6 deer limit...4 in a zone...no more than 2 legal bucks.

So I'm also traveling to another zone with a buddy to try and fill out all my tags (and my freezer) this year.

• Members

How does one get into hunting? Seems like it is a tradition passed down from father to son, or you need to hire someone to give you hunting lessons. I'd like to try to kill something and eat it at least once in my life but I've no friends or family who do it.

• Members

How does one get into hunting? Seems like it is a tradition passed down from father to son, or you need to hire someone to give you hunting lessons. I'd like to try to kill something and eat it at least once in my life but I've no friends or family who do it.

Take a hunters education class. It's generally over a Saturday or weekend...but I did mine online. You'll find them on your states Game and Fish Commission website. Something like NJGFC.gov or something.

Pass that...you'll get a hunters education card in the mail. Take that to Walmart and get your hunting license for $25 or so.

THEN all you have to do is find somewhere you can hunt. You MAY have trouble finding that in New Jersey...I know you guys are the Garden State...but when I was there it was more like the industrial district of memphis for miles on end.

You may join a gun/hunting forum to meet folks...I really like "TheHighRoad.com" and "ArcheryTalk.com". Lots of good knowledgeable folks at both.

Best of luck. You're not in the greatest state for gun ownership...and I'm betting that will have a detrimental effect on the quality of hunting you can find.

• Members

With me it was a tradition.

I've always had family and friends with land to hunt on so its always been readily available for me. When I was 18 my Christmas gift was a 12 guage shotgun.

Go look at some vids on how to field dress a deer and you will prob change your mind about trying to hunt. (at least deer) lol

• Members

Hunting is for douche bags that like to kill animals for entertainment. It's primitive, unnecessary, it's taking advantage of another species lack of intelligence and weakness, creating more suffering and pain for nothing other then to get sick jollies.

How cute.

I personally hunt for the meat. I don't care about the biggest buck or hanging a head on my wall.

Now troll on off.

• Members

Hunting is for douche bags that like to kill animals for entertainment. It's primitive, unnecessary, it's taking advantage of another species lack of intelligence and weakness, creating more suffering and pain for nothing other then to get sick jollies.

de940c493b1ca85a415eed1d2ba01970669f76c4

But seriously...GTFO

• Members

:lol::facepalm:

• Members

GTFO noob.

• Members

CSB

I hunt because its an excuse for me to get away from my wife and hang around the guys for a week/drink beer. I kill for entertainment and I kill for meat. I have no problem saying that killing a lesser species is fun and its a rush.

I mean you play guitar right? ZOMG THE POOR TREE THAT DIED TO MAKE THE WOOD BRO!!!!

• Members

Tell that to all the cows, pig, chickens, ducks ... that got their necks cut just today

• Members

I end up going every few years with the intent that its going to be {censored}ing awesome. Then I always end up freezing my balls off in the woods for a week and not even seeing a {censored}ing bird let alone a deer.

That sucks dude.. Maybe you go to {censored}ty spots? How do you hunt? I walk trails, or drive around gravel roads for hours. In a day 7am to 7pm, I usually get about 5 birds. Some days I only get 2-3. Funny thing is I always see animals I don't have tags for. But now it's time for me to get my own rifle since I always hunt with friends that already own guns and have been putting off getting my possession license until now.

Archived